Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:36 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
This reminds me of that All in the Family episode where Archie needs a transfusion and finds out the donor was black...
Obviously this will be lost on some of you digital generation types.
What happened? ?

I think The Jefferson guy either gave blood or mouth to mouth to a white man and white dude said "you should have let me die."

Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
What happened? ?

I think The Jefferson guy either gave blood or mouth to mouth to a white man and white dude said "you should have let me die."
From the episode summary
Archie's pain turns into something more serious as he has to have his gallbladder removed and he is taken to the hospital right away for the operation. Archie's trip to the hospital turns into an ethnic nightmare for him. He's admitted by a Puerto Rican receptionist, treated by a Jewish physician, and is forced to accept a blood transfusion from a female West Indian doctor's assistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyQfp6JY6b8

Revelant section is from 21:30 to 23:57

I do recall there was a scene with the George Jefferson character and "You should have left me die" bit regarding artificial resucsitation. I think it was on spinoff the Jeffersons.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Nice try with those lies.
I read through the thread finally and see you are the one of the few who posts common sense and reality. Did not realize you were being facetious.

"Well done Sir" as the Cheetos CGI thingee would say.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,728,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Chances are 900% higher a homosexual has HIV than any woman.

Only an idiot would opt to take homosexual blood just to be politically correct. If I need blood I'll pass.
me thinks if you were dying and the only blood available was a gay persons blood you would be beggin for it!!!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 AM

389 posts, read 616,725 times
Blood donation is a free way to get tested for HIV.
Quote:
Is it true that I can get a free AIDS test when I donate blood?

You should not give blood to get tested for AIDS. Using blood donation as a way to get tested could put the blood supply at risk and endanger patients. HIV antibodies may take a few weeks to develop after infection with the virus. If you were recently infected, you might have a negative test result, yet be able to infect the recipient of your donation. That is why you must not give blood if you are at risk of getting AIDS or other infectious diseases. Individuals at risk for contracting HIV should contact their local health department for AIDS testing.
If my blood tests HIV-positive, will I be informed about the result?

Yes. Donors who are confirmed positive for any infectious disease are notified and have the opportunity to receive counseling with a specially trained, professional Red Cross donor counselor.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:53 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Your numbers reflect the situation as it is now where homosexual men can't donate. The ban works, apparently.
Correlation is being confused with causation - apprently.

Quote:
There is no good health reason to lift it.
Actually, yes - there is pretty much a permanent lack of donor blood.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Nice try with those lies.
Guess we learned who doesn't give blood.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Yes. I'd want "gay blood" if I needed a transfusion. Would I want blood that carried a disease? No. But I'd even knowingly accept HIV-infected blood rather than dying. AIDS can be managed. Millions of people are managing the disease. Death cannot be managed.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, yeah.. the simple fact is it takes between two weeks and six months for an infected body to produce anti bodies during which time a HIV test will come back a false negative.

Given the choice it's my body and I want to pass on taking homosexual blood.

I know, not wanting AIDS makes me a hater and bigot but the simple truth is with a 900% higher chance of contracting HIV by accepting homosexual blood I'd rather be a bigot.
Are you writing this from 1989 or something? You can tell within minutes if blood has any HIV.

What is "homosexual blood"? It's just human blood. Around 8% of homosexuals have HIV, almost all of which are men, so based on studies its estimated that around 16% of gay men have HIV/AIDS. 84% of gay men have nothing to do with HIV or AIDS personally. It varies widely by race as well, with 20% of black gay men living with HIV, 13% of hispanics and around 6% of white gay men.

The main focus today on HIV is on black people, who are disporportionately getting the disease. While 12% of the population, they're almost half of the people getting HIV, many thousands of those are women and hetrosexuals. There are as many straight blacks getting the disease as there are gay blacks.

There are 4,000,000 to 5,000,000 white gay men out there, and 94% of them are free of HIV or AIDS, a disease which is very easily and immediately detectable with todays technology. Seems silly to sideline those 94% of men who aren't diseased from giving blood because they have a chance of having something THAT'S COMPLETELY DETECTABLE ANYWAY.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Your numbers reflect the situation as it is now where homosexual men can't donate. The ban works, apparently. There is no good health reason to lift it. It is all about political correctness. We should not forget that.
The last time I donated (which, by the way, was when I was FULL of cancer in my blood), I went with two gay male friends. They were tested regularly for STDs, including HIV, as should ANYONE who sleeps with a new partner. Just because there was a ban on gays donating doesn't mean that gays did not donate. One of said friends was type O - he felt it was his moral imperative to ignore the ban. I agree with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies