Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
Wait til the illegal aliens start giving blood with their hepatitis and various other ailments.

I know, my grandfather died from a blood transfusion that was contaminated by hepatitis blood...I guess unscreened.
When did that happen?

Old 12-03-2014, 03:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The FDA is considering lifting the ban on gay men donating blood it has had in place for over 30 years. The ban was enacted to stop the spread of AIDs through donor blood. Proponents argue that the ban discriminates and demeans gay men. I think removing it is a risky proposal.

FDA Reconsiders Ban on Gays Donating Blood - NBC News
Let them keep their blood.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:31 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
What exactly is risky about it if the person in question is determined to not have a disease? Besides, we're past the point where AIDS is a gay person disease.
"What exactly is risky about it if the person in question is determined to not have a disease"

True, screened blood is screened blood.

"we're past the point where AIDS is a gay person disease"

Nada. Being PC has no place in this.

Fast Facts from CDC
  • Gay and bisexual men are more severely affected by HIV than any other group in the United States.
  • Among all gay and bisexual men, black/African American gay and bisexual men bear a disproportionate burden of HIV.
  • From 2008 to 2010, HIV infections among young black/African American gay and bisexual men increased 20%.

In 2011, in the United States, gay and bisexual men accounted for 79% of 38,825 estimated HIV diagnoses among all males aged 13 years and older and 62% of 49,273 estimated diagnoses among all persons receiving an HIV diagnosis that year.
CDC ? Fact Sheet - Gay and Bisexual Men ? Gender ? Risk ? HIV/AIDS

Old 12-03-2014, 03:37 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Why are blacks allowed to donate then? They are 8x more likely to have HIV than whites.
Apparently if your a Sexually active Black Gay male Prostitute, between the ages of 18 and 24 you may not want to give blood.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:57 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
The FDA is considering lifting the ban on gay men donating blood it has had in place for over 30 years. The ban was enacted to stop the spread of AIDs through donor blood. Proponents argue that the ban discriminates and demeans gay men. I think removing it is a risky proposal.

Require that people be tested for AIDs before donating blood. It's that simple. Or just test the blood. Banning all gays because they might have AIDs is absolutely ridiculous and the exact opposite of scientific or intelligent thinking, and I personally want an organization that is in charge of regulating food and drug to be scientifically literate and generally intelligent.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:09 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:

It's because of their behavior. They have no one to blame but themselves.

If they would find one partner, remain faithful to them their whole life I don't think their blood would be a problem. They are a tiny minority of blood donors so I have no problem with banning them from the practice.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:11 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I think a 1-year deferral policy for MSM is an appropriate policy.
This. Although it might sound bigoted to some, gay men are at an extremely higher risk of having HIV than other populations, and it's best to keep the blood supply safe.

But a lifetime ban? That's not supported by science.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Apparently if your a Sexually active Black Gay male Prostitute, between the ages of 18 and 24 you may not want to give blood.
Gays of any race are a high risk. Syphilis, herpes, and HPV are very high in the gay community.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
This. Although it might sound bigoted to some, gay men are at an extremely higher risk of having HIV than other populations, and it's best to keep the blood supply safe.

But a lifetime ban? That's not supported by science.
Until they discover a cure for HIV, I'm pretty sure homosexuals will have this problem for generations to come. The way the world is going with all this unprotected sex and multiple partners being the norm, according to scientific research, the diseases that currently exist could morph into stronger antibiotic-resistant diseases.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Until they discover a cure for HIV, I'm pretty sure homosexuals will have this problem for generations to come. The way the world is going with all this unprotected sex and multiple partners being the norm, according to scientific research, the diseases that currently exist could morph into stronger antibiotic-resistant diseases.
It'd just be horrible if HIV became antibiotic resistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies