Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The problem with that argument is it perpetuates the myth of the white, aviator sunglasses wearing, tobacco chewing Southern sheriff image of the "white cop".

I'd bet most blacks in the inner-city are dealing with FAR more black and latino cops than white cops in 2014.

Also, it would seem that inner city black parents would "pass down" the ideals of AVOIDING cops if, historically, treatment of blacks by cops has been such a nightmare.

Those traits to be passed down would be:

1) Avoid criminal activity and especially people who engage in such activity.

2) Don't hang out deep into the night. Go home.

3) When you cross paths with a police officer understand that he or she doesn't have free range to harass you. You have rights. Know them and be smart. Don't give a cop a reason to drag you to the ground in the first place. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly you will have plenty of time to deal with it in court with legal representation.

This is not rocket science...
That myth was once true. Nowadays, not so often. But certainly many cops hold a lot of negative assumptions about black people. The majority of white people in general hold a lot of negative assumptions about black people. Even I'll admit (but I question if you will) that my knee jerk reaction in certain situations can sometimes be negative. We all hold prejudices (again, even if you don't admit it), but it's important to have the sense to realize those prejudices are unfair to the individual.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Yeah, the ideals of avoiding cops is passed down. As are the other three generally, except for the tidbit about the court system in #3. Rightfully or not at this point in our history, I would assume that many blacks do not trust the court system to treat them fairly.

While these ideals are passed down, there are a variety of circumstances why they don't end up being followed enough. Lots of societal and socioeconomic reasons. And before you write me off as some apologist for black crime, I recognize that a lot of inner city black culture and the lack of fathers in many inner city homes is a major factor in all this. Changes have to come from all sides.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
He should say this is a situation where a city burning would be justified.
That's funny, because there's already a thread about how he called the rioters "scumbags."

Get a grip.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:16 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree... but the problem is 99% of the time the victim is Black.
The percentage of blacks arrested for drug infractions is high compared to whites, I don't know the statistics on deaths in these types of situations, I don't believe it was racial but the grand jury should have ruled there was probable cause, lost in this was the incompetence of the EMT's who stood by for far too long.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
There probably wont be riots...

but its not like NYC is immune to them. Bushwick had riots.
Washington heights and Crown heights had riots in the early 90's.

But this is a tamer NYC. Nothing of note is going to happen here.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
There are a few exceptions, but this is one of the few threads on here where liberals and most of the conservatives on here are in agreement

Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,837 times
13 years ago, police were honored and were the "best" to New Yankers (2001), fast forward to Dec 2014, they are vilified.

Next year?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I just don't know why cops are afraid of black skin. And Im talking about white and black cops

Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If his ability to breathe was compromised by the actions of the cops it started the process which caused him to expire.
As was pointed out earlier in this thread, if you can actually say you can't breath then you can breath.

Again, if this guy wasn't so fat I wonder if he'd be dead. If I weigh 350 pounds and I am in terrible shape that would be yet another reason not to argue with several cops and resist arrest.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
This one won't get the same enthusiasm from the media because deep down inside they think he deserved it because after all he was selling cigarettes.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
This one won't get the same enthusiasm from the media because deep down inside they think he deserved it because after all he was selling cigarettes.
We got one that was selling them while the other was stealing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies