Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 10:40 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,226,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Normal people are not in the postion of the police having to get idiots off the streets. Normal people are not usually harrassed or restrained by the police because they are not in that position. Finally, when normal people are questioned or detained by police, they survive the encounter because they don't physically resist it.

Look, I've never been arrested. I've never been to jail. I've never even gotten a speeding ticket, or any other moving violation. I'm about as honest and law-abiding as the come. But I have been harassed by the police plenty of times.

I can't hardly walk around at night without being stopped by the cops "because I look suspicious". It gets so annoying that I just want to tell them to **** off and keep walking.

I mean, there was one night that I had to walk home and it was cold and drizzling outside, and the cop stops me, has me sitting outside of his car for like 10 minutes, tells me to empty my pockets, and runs my drivers license. It obviously came up clean, and afterwards I had the privilege of continuing to walk home, more cold and more wet.

I don't do drugs, I don't even smoke cigarettes.

When I was a teenager, I could hardly drive anywhere in my car without being followed by the police. They would find the most ridiculous reasons to pull me over. I remember one day in high school, I was late to school and I used to drive my friend to school. I was driving over to his house to pick him up, and a cop pulled me over because he thought I was ditching school. Even though I was seventeen at the time anyway, so I could have just dropped out legally.

Anyway, I'm just saying, when you get hassled by the cops regularly, they begin to annoy you. You become more "short-tempered" with them. When I see Garner complaining about being harassed, I can completely understand it. And when they moved to arrest him, he is protesting claiming that they basically have no reason to arrest him.

As someone mentioned earlier, they could have just issued him a citation. I mean, I've known plenty of people who have gotten caught with weed who only received a citation, not an arrest.

This situation could have been easily avoided if the police didn't behave so aggressively. What happened was completely unnecessary on so many levels. To defend the police in my view just seems completely delusional.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:40 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Eric Garner, the Staten Island dad who complained that he couldn’t breathe as he was subdued by cops, died from compression of the neck, the medical examiner said Friday.

Eric Garner

Died from "compression of the neck". The damage was already done by the time the officer let off his hold.
He said I can't breath pretty loudly, which tells me air flow was not restricted very much.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,226,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Your grandma have 30 priors?
Did they even know he had 30 priors?

Let me ask you a question. Have you truly never did anything in your life that was illegal? If you got caught every single time you did something illegal, how many "priors" would you have?

This just reminds me of this.

Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,146,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
He said I can't breath pretty loudly, which tells me air flow was not restricted very much.
That's the line being repeated in Police forums.

People are tired of it. It ends now. The longer some want to hold onto a sinking ship the better.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:50 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And in the end there is no proof he was doing anything.
How do you know, did you sit in? Were you there? He wasn't doing anything, thats what I said when I got caught..when I was a kid....

He was seen selling those cigarettes......

Old 12-04-2014, 10:50 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,520,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
There is a disconnect because many feel they understand the job and policy of another career. If that is the case, all of our jobs can be interchangeable.
Standard defense by cops... woe r' us, the lowly civvies just don't understand. Though few of us civvies wouldn't know good procedure for an astronaut or brain surgeon, harassment and excessive force isn't as complex to understand. Plenty of us have been on the receiving end or witnessed the uniforms run amuck.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,520,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
How do you know, did you sit in? Were you there? He wasn't doing anything, thats what I said when I got caught..when I was a kid....

He was seen selling those cigarettes......
Were you there ? Have you seen any photos of evidence taken at the scene that day ?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Did they even know he had 30 priors?

Let me ask you a question. Have you truly never did anything in your life that was illegal? If you got caught every single time you did something illegal, how many "priors" would you have?

This just reminds me of the this.

Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
stop bringing Jesus in on this....

this really takes the cake,

He resisted arrest.....plus Garner had been previously arrested and was out on bail for selling untaxed cigarettes, driving without a license, marijuana possession and false personation. Garner had a criminal record that includes more than 30 arrests dating back to 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, grand larceny. An official said the charges include multiple incidents in which he was arrested for selling unlicensed cigarettes

when you resist arrest....well, I want to see how you surcome a 6 foot 250 lb man who wouldn't allow them to put handcuffs on him.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Were you there ? Have you seen any photos of evidence taken at the scene that day ?
yes, I saw the video and read about his prior arrests.....

but then, if it's a black man, even though he's a criminal, it's ok, right?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,600,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, I've never been arrested. I've never been to jail. I've never even gotten a speeding ticket, or any other moving violation. I'm about as honest and law-abiding as the come. But I have been harassed by the police plenty of times.

I can't hardly walk around at night without being stopped by the cops "because I look suspicious". It gets so annoying that I just want to tell them to **** off and keep walking.

I mean, there was one night that I had to walk home and it was cold and drizzling outside, and the cop stops me, has me sitting outside of his car for like 10 minutes, tells me to empty my pockets, and runs my drivers license. It obviously came up clean, and afterwards I had the privilege of continuing to walk home, more cold and more wet.

I don't do drugs, I don't even smoke cigarettes.

When I was a teenager, I could hardly drive anywhere in my car without being followed by the police. They would find the most ridiculous reasons to pull me over. I remember one day in high school, I was late to school and I used to drive my friend to school. I was driving over to his house to pick him up, and a cop pulled me over because he thought I was ditching school. Even though I was seventeen at the time anyway, so I could have just dropped out legally.

Anyway, I'm just saying, when you get hassled by the cops regularly, they begin to annoy you. You become more "short-tempered" with them. When I see Garner complaining about being harassed, I can completely understand it. And when they moved to arrest him, he is protesting claiming that they basically have no reason to arrest him.

As someone mentioned earlier, they could have just issued him a citation. I mean, I've known plenty of people who have gotten caught with weed who only received a citation, not an arrest.

This situation could have been easily avoided if the police didn't behave so aggressively. What happened was completely unnecessary on so many levels. To defend the police in my view just seems completely delusional.
I also had the experience of being hassled by police when I was in my teens and 20's. Some of it I deserved. I did have the experience of being arrested when I didn't think it was warranted. I didn't argue or yell. I addressed the officers as sir, mam or officer. I did politely ask a couple of questions while I complied with the order to put my hands behind my back. I went into court and presented my case. The judge asked about my arrest and if I had been cooperative. My case was dismissed and nobody got hurt or killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies