Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 01:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Let's be real here. The same usual predictable suspect posters on here could watch a video of a cop walking up to a black guy on the sidewalk & shooting him in the head for no reason & they'd still blame the black guy. I guarantee 100% that if the guys in these situations had been white, they'd be singing a different tune. They're so obvious in their biases it's absurd.
The truth is that there are cops out there who beat up anybody they can get away with beating up, again see the Kelly Thomas case, which is sickening. Are some more prone to rough up blacks...without a doubt.

Can you deal with the a big part of the issue by simply prosecuting police brutality across the board...yes. If you look at the case history, there are cops getting off for killing people even in cases where it seems obvious they are guilty of something at far too alarming a rate.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The truth is that there are cops out there who beat up anybody they can get away with beating up, again see the Kelly Thomas case, which is sickening. Are some more prone to rough up blacks...without a doubt.

Can you deal with the a big part of the issue by simply prosecuting police brutality across the board...yes. If you look at the case history, there are cops getting off for killing people even in cases where it seems obvious they are guilty of something at far too alarming a rate.
Most cops who kill civilians get away with it, no matter how egregious the circumstances.

Very few are indicted, and even fewer are found guilty of a crime, and sentenced.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I saw the video and read about his prior arrests.....

but then, if it's a black man, even though he's a criminal, it's ok, right?
So many blacks in prison, they are now willing to forgive them to keep them out of jail, it's getting ridiculous.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Peter King is a piece of work. I don't know how he keeps getting reelected.

Rep. Peter King, Republican NY 2nd District (south side of Long Island)

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...on-113168.html

Rep. Peter King has a suggestion for the White House in dealing with the latest developments in Ferguson — invite Officer Darren Wilson over.
“I think it would be very helpful if President Obama went and met with the police officer, or invited him to the White House and said, ‘You’ve gone through four months of smear and slander, and the least we can do is tell you that it’s unfortunate that it happened and thank you for doing your job,’

Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I'm sure that would go over well. Obviously trying to set up Obama for a trap/ PR nightmare .

How would it be helpful?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Peter King is a piece of work. I don't know how he keeps getting reelected.

Rep. Peter King, Republican NY 2nd District (south side of Long Island)

Peter King: President Obama should invite Officer Darren Wilson to the W.H. - Kendall Breitman - POLITICO

Rep. Peter King has a suggestion for the White House in dealing with the latest developments in Ferguson — invite Officer Darren Wilson over.
“I think it would be very helpful if President Obama went and met with the police officer, or invited him to the White House and said, ‘You’ve gone through four months of smear and slander, and the least we can do is tell you that it’s unfortunate that it happened and thank you for doing your job,’
Most of his district is white and he is big with people of Irish descent, a good portion of whom happen to be police or have police in their families. He's playing to his constituency.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
All of the ^^^ does not = death. Unbelievable as well as the decision....
In no way am I saying Eric Garner should have died when restrained by police officers. I do believe, however, that they were only trying to question him and he wouldn't cooperate. If a man who has a record and is currently out on bail is suspected of wrongdoing, should the police say, "Okay, we need to just let him go. Too bad he wasn't 150 pounds lighter. Then we could have cuffed him." If they used a Taser and he had a heart attack, would the police officer also be guilty?

Of course it's tragic that a man died over a petty crime, but where do we draw the line?

Just one more thing. In Ferguson, people complained that there weren't enough Black people on the jury. According to the latest U.S. Census, Staten Island is 9.5% African-American. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Grand Jury had 23 people on it and at least 9 or 10 were African-American. That's about 40%. Still, they apparently felt there wasn't enough evidence to indict the police officer.

So why wasn't justice served? Is it only served when people get the result they desire? If the 2 people who recently died during a confrontation with police would have simply obeyed the law, they'd be alive today. I think whenever a life is taken it's very sad. Yes, this was a petty offense, but if he were Caucasian with blue eyes and blond hair, I'd feel exactly the same way.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
How do you know, did you sit in? Were you there? He wasn't doing anything, thats what I said when I got caught..when I was a kid....

He was seen selling those cigarettes......
I know it because you (or anyone else) are unable to provide any. If I state that no humans have set foot on Mars how am I suppose to prove that to you?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It is not unlawful for them to tell you to place your hands behind your back. It's unlawful for them to tell you to go rob someone else and bring them the money. Your belief of your guilt or innocence is not what determines the lawfulness of the order - the law does.
Yes it is unlawful for them to detain you with no probable cause or risk to them.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It doesn't matter. They don't have to prove the case first. If you're innocent, you go to court to fight the charge. You are not allowed to fight the arrest on the spot.
That isn't how it works. They have to have something to charge you with. They had nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies