Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Do you have any thing to back that up ?

also, you do realize that someone who is unemployed(making 0 dollars) is not averaged into income numbers right? So when they do get employed, they will drag down the average.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...b3g1Ftl3zMgRzQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Ts47H3fKvfbdiA

Try these.

The rich are getting richer, at the expense of the middle and lower classes. This is not my opinion, this is the facts, like them or not.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...b3g1Ftl3zMgRzQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Ts47H3fKvfbdiA

Try these.

The rich are getting richer, at the expense of the middle and lower classes. This is not my opinion, this is the facts, like them or not.
Your first link(NPR) does not show a fall in wages for the poor/middle class, only a larger bump for the higher income in comparison to the lower 2 classes

Your second link from Stanford is huge(60 pages),do you mind giving me a page number that proves your point ???

Old 12-07-2014, 12:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I have personally found this thread to be very entertaining.

Just to watch the conservative Obama haters dance around the issue that the economy is improving under President Obama despite all the republican efforts to stop it.
It reminds me of that Korean guy and his dance, "Gangnam style".
What Republican efforts to stop an economic cycle which has occured for thousands of years...

Old 12-07-2014, 12:07 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,662 times
Quote:

Hogwash. That's the old progressive zero sum argument which is just a phony as progressives. The rich are getting richer because the fed is printing new money at an unprecedented rate. The middle and lower classes aren't even in the equation. Look it up.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Hogwash. That's the old progressive zero sum argument which is just a phony as progressives. The rich are getting richer because the fed is printing new money at an unprecedented rate. The middle and lower classes aren't even in the equation. Look it up.
The fed printing up money is harmful to the lower income levels who cant hedge against the inflation

Old 12-07-2014, 01:54 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Applying for benefits and or receiving benefits is not part of the formula for determining the unemployment rates.
If you are no longer eligible for benefits; doesn't that mean that you are no longer counted? It was suspicious, that within just a few months after the Jul/Aug rule change, that our national rate dropped 3% to 4%. As far as I know; we did nothing else different in 2013. There were no large car manufacturers or other big employers that opened up shop in the US - at least that I heard about. There was just not any economic news in the last half of 2013 to justify that drop.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you are no longer eligible for benefits; doesn't that mean that you are no longer counted? It was suspicious, that within just a few months after the Jul/Aug rule change, that our national rate dropped 3% to 4%. As far as I know; we did nothing else different in 2013. There were no large car manufacturers or other big employers that opened up shop in the US - at least that I heard about. There was just not any economic news in the last half of 2013 to justify that drop.
The UE numbers are based on a survey of "approximately 60,000 households." If you are unemployed and haven't looked for work recently then you are counted as not in the labor force. If you have looked for work and haven't found it then you are counted as unemployed. Again it has nothing to do with whether or not you have applied for or are receiving benefits.

The UE employment rate has not fallen dramatically month to month. The biggest 2 drops in 2013 and 2014 were a single .3 and .4. Most of the drops were .1 or .2.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I have personally found this thread to be very entertaining.

Just to watch the conservative Obama haters dance around the issue that the economy is improving under President Obama despite all the republican efforts to stop it.
It reminds me of that Korean guy and his dance, "Gangnam style".
If things were going awesome now the UE rate would be ticking up as the 6.22 million people who are not in the labor force but want to be would be putting upwards pressure on it.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:07 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The UE numbers are based on a survey of "approximately 60,000 households." If you are unemployed and haven't looked for work recently then you are counted as not in the labor force. If you have looked for work and haven't found it then you are counted as unemployed. Again it has nothing to do with whether or not you have applied for or are receiving benefits.

The UE employment rate has not fallen dramatically month to month. The biggest 2 drops in 2013 and 2014 were a single .3 and .4. Most of the drops were .1 or .2.
From the Department of Labor's web site: "Generally all determinations of whether or not a person is eligible for benefits are made by the appropriate State under its law or applicable federal laws." So, if you did not follow their requirements, you are dropped as a recipient of unemployment benefits. Therefore you are no longer counted as one of the unemployed - you gave up looking by their definition.

However you are right about the rates. They did drop .5% in the last half of 2013 - not the 3 to 4% that I had stated.

I still feel that the tightening of the requirements was one factor in the rate drop.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
From the Department of Labor's web site: "Generally all determinations of whether or not a person is eligible for benefits are made by the appropriate State under its law or applicable federal laws." So, if you did not follow their requirements, you are dropped as a recipient of unemployment benefits. Therefore you are no longer counted as one of the unemployed - you gave up looking by their definition.

However you are right about the rates. They did drop .5% in the last half of 2013 - not the 3 to 4% that I had stated.

I still feel that the tightening of the requirements was one factor in the rate drop.
Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the government uses the number of people collecting unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under state or federal government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

How the Government Measures Unemployment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies