Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,275,892 times

Advertisements

#1. in locations where blacks are a majority or when some loud mouth is looking to stir up trouble we are referred to as such..
#2."liberals" are always more apt to treat everyone as equal and work to help anyone and everyone unlike , Republican conservatives (sic) case in point kkk neo nazis westboro church.. all claim to have conservative values .. Republicans have Always been and voted against ANYTHING that served or benefited anyone outside their "rich white" community.. Think.. GI Bill.. they fought and fought against that entire bill and finally gave in to ALL but education NO Education funds.. Thank GOD the Liberals pushed and shoved until the education portion was included..So I ask why do so many middle class and poor whites vote for them as do many Middle and upper class blacks and other minorities..Rich People of all minorities often vote Republican under the false pretense that they will be accepted because of their wealth.. That will NEVER happen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Perhaps the KKK, Neo Nazis, and Westboro Church feel they speak for you. Is it your responsibility to go around proving to the world that they don't represent all white people? Or should the world be intelligent enough to figure that out based on sheer common sense? Why is it that black people should always have something to prove to whites? We should be able to just live our lives without always fighting generalizations, same as you do.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
There are some black people that prefer to believe that most black people have the same set of interests, beliefs, etc and so they collectively group themselves into the mindset that we are an all in one community. they refer to themselves and others that share their skin tone as the "black community". There are others that use the term to refer to a specific subset of black people-whether it's the local neighborhood, that city, that church, etc. But not every black person is alike so obviously this isn't the case for all of us. I don't like group think and I was raised to think outside the box and not allow common things that are known to be limits for some, be limits for myself. I was raised to essentially be limitless my mom always told us "forget the rules. Make you own. Who gives a f*** what society thinks/says etc. Beliefs create your reality. If you believe you are XYZ or have XYZ limits holding you back than that will be your reality. So if your going to believe in rules then fine, as long as you believe you are the exception to the rule." What does this all mean? I'm not a blind sheep and my interests, desires, mindset, is purely individual. I can't speak for anyone else. My race is one aspect of me.
The only community I'm a part of is the community of me myself and I, and those who I choose to let in, black white, or blue. Obamas address, and other black people who use that term to address this collective black group does not in anyway mean much to me. The majority of the time when he's used it, the context of which it was used did not identify with me. I don't even use that term, it's silly to assume that because XYZ uses it, the majority of us do and that when it is used it means the same thing to everyone.

If that isn't understood then yes some of you are dense.
Btw I love the comments about how blacks are the only race to have channels, organizations, and groups set up solely based on race. News flash: Hispanics do as well. Telumundo, la-raza, and there were a few other groups set up for Latinos as well. And LGBT groups, etc.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 AM

Hold ON!! Now you are TRYING to group me in with a Bunch of ignorant HS drop out meth-head white trailer trash and I am getting angry!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So, by your logic, there really is a WHITE COMMUNITY, because over 90% of whites voted for the right wing, hypocrite conservative knuckleheads that have taken over the house and senate.

Right?

The "white community" DOES exist then by YOUR reasoning, correct??

Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSnv...=TLpQvaa-lFwWw

1,423 posts, read 1,627,399 times
Quote:
Nice way to dodge, deflect and weave.
hmm... What happened to everyone's favorite hypocrite?

KISS remember your dealing with angry old white men ( and women ) and trailer trash.. So in the words of those folks demi-god.. iffin it walks like a duck and looks like a duck????( and dont forget ta go ta walmart and buy my duck calls..)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No. We don't all eat collard greens, ham hocks, chitterlings and corn bread. We don't all listen to RnB and Soul. We don't all smoke pot. Harlem blacks and Georgia blacks are miles apart in terms of culture.
Caribbean blacks (my case) share virtually NO cultural similarities with those born and raised here, yet we are all thrown into the same pot.
Furthermore, DWB is just a stupid term, more often than not used for comical relief than anything.
Most "shared experiences" are experiences shared with all other races; not just blacks.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It wasn't long before they were all back at the old student union mingling with all the rest of us of different skin colors than theirs. It was mystifying to me. I couldn't understand why they'd want to segregate themselves after the long fight for desegregation.

And then, after the big upset and struggle to get their own student union, why would they want to come back to the old union and mingle? Maybe it was a test to see if other people were paying attention to their perceived needs?
Look at neighborhoods and how segregated they are. It is amazing really. If you look at percentages in my city it is clear segregation is huge as in over 80% of one race in each area. Kind of odd really.

If there are "African Americans", there should probably be, "Italian American" and so-on. When I was little, there was a little bit of that. I remember Italian American being used a little, but not much. Now I never hear it, so maybe at some point the African American label will go away. I think one of the problems with it leaving anytime soon is it is perpetuated by the Black community. Some black folks use being black as motivation, and excuse for their own failure and some could care less. That being said, why is there even a category like that?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:06 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Let me take a shot at this. I normally don't care to comment, i tend to walk away and laugh. But this one. I have no idea what where or how you came up with white privileged. But I want you to keep thinking and feeling like that so that other minorities will pass your African american non privileged feeling self.

In my view, by your definition of privileged, you are privileged too. You are an american by birth. The first word out of your mouth is in English or Ebonic, (doesn't matter to me), your name is in written in English. Whether its a normal name or some crackhead name like Shaqueda, Tamiko or LeDaron or Tekwon. Is still English ( I didn't make up those names).

African american choose to think they are not privileged. You walk around thinking the white man holding you back. You create that all in yourself. You can go on your daily activities without worrying about, your next meal. You speak English, you know how to ask. Help me please.
And another note, why the hell do you want to be associated to African, you just put yourself back 400 years.
Call yourself Black american. That's more appropriate.

Lets compare notes. You are more privileged than me.
I am a vietnamese guy. I was born in Vietnam. I came to this country at the age of ten. The first English word I learned was "hi". When your a foreigner, you think. WTH is "hi"
My name was in not easy to pronounce. I don't look like you black or white.
I had no idea if the Americans black or whites were making fun of me. Cause i didnt understand what they were saying. But i do know they called me Ching Chong and silly chinese names, I am not even chinese. That's right, all the black whites and Hispanic kids made fun of me.
The small town has never seen an asian before, ever. How am I gonna ask for help? I don't speak English, how am I gonna pass 3rd grade. How am I and my family gonna make it in this country.

So by your definition of privileged, I am SOL. I have nothing going for me or my family.
So what do we do? 2 weeks into the US. My dad with no English, not even one word.
No car.. He got a job, he walked to work. For 6 months. Rain and snow.
What do we do? We face all obstacles and we beat it without, bitching or crying or protests.

Fast forward 2014. Been here 34 years. My name is legally Christopher, i earned college degree, work in oil and gas speak english to my employees,, black whites and hispanic. Take a while guess. Who's the boss???
My dad is still cranking at his job. At 68 years old. After open heart surgery from 2013. My Vietnamese mom, still cant speak english well, still works. Just don't sit in the car with her. Crazy asian woman driving. But she drives a new Benz so she won't hit you. Not one day did we stop striving.
America has given my self, my family a great life. It wasn't easy, it was tough, but doable. We did it. Go ask any vietnamese person. How, they came to the US. Most share my same hardship..

This was just a quick bit part of my life. You have no idea.

They say you don't know what's it like til you walk in another mans shoes. You black of america. Lets trade shoes. .. Try walking in this vietnamese mans shoes.

Still feeling unprivileged?
I can't believe I missed this gem of a post.

You lost all credibility when you said:

Quote:
Whether its a normal name or some crackhead name like Shaqueda, Tamiko or LeDaron or Tekwon. Is still English ( I didn't make up those names).
Tread lightly. Let's not act like you're absolved from having certain people make fun of your name or the way you talk, as you experienced. (Part of the problem right there.)

And your little 'Coming to America' story - it's apples and oranges.

You immigrated to this country and faced the same disadvantages and circumstances many people actually born here, mostly minorities from inner city conditions they were born into and had no control over. Big difference.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I can't believe I missed this gem of a post.

You lost all credibility when you said:

Tread lightly. Let's not act like you're absolved from having certain people make fun of your name or the way you talk. (Part of the problem right there.)
He changed his name to "Christopher" as though this will make him appear to be less asian or something. Lol

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-18-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
He changed his name to "Christopher" as though this will make appear to be less asian or something. Lol
Which is why they're called the "Model Minority" in this country, which is also ironic in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies