Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:45 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
His "annual" vacation there only started after he got elected President.
The taxpayer cost is pretty high.
And George W. Bush's Crawford Christmas vacations only started after he was elected President (he bought the ranch in 1999 and did not spend Christmas there that year).

So?

You're just fishing about for some reason to whine about President Obama.

And before you start bleating about how Hawaii is further from DC than Texas, Texas is also further from DC than Camp David. Yet not a peep about you over the fact that Bush Christmased in Texas rather than Camp David. Why? Because it doesn't really bother you that Bush chose a more-expensive option - Obanma's political affiliation bothers you. That's what this is all about. And aside from that, of all costs of a vacation, the fuel difference for cruising (the most intensive use of fuel in any flight is takeoff-and-climb) between DC-Texas and DC-Hawaii is a small fraction of 1% of the vacation's cost.

If Hillary Clinton is President in 2017, and spends Christmas in New York, while you be praising her for not using as much fuel as President Bush used to Christmas in Texas? Of course you won't.

Caveat:
I am not criticizing President Bush for spending so much time in Texas (his record number of vacation trips to Crawford consumed more fuel and costs than President Obama's trips - if you really cared about such costs, you'd be claiming to be glad President Obama doesn't vacation as much as President Bush) - recreation and family time, however an individual needs to make that happen, results in leaders who function better, who are healthier, who make better decisions, etc. It's corporations focus so much on proper work-life balance.

I could easily take baseless cheap shots at Bush for his vacation numbers, but I don't begrudge him those numbers at all. Ultimately, they are trivial.

And unlike you, I'm consistent in how I apply my standards.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM

240 posts, read 239,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What?????? This is despicable!!!!!
Really? He has the most stressful job in the world, and for the record he is working pretty much the whole time , he is never fully on vacation, but you are !

Old 12-21-2014, 10:02 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
right, and how do we know the words on the letter even mean what the guy who put them there intended for them to mean what you all think they mean....know what I mean?
We know the information provided in the Report (not letter) is authentic because it's a CRS publication.
Quote:
The Congressional Research Service (CRS) works exclusively for the United States Congress, providing policy and legal analysis to committees and Members of both the House and Senate, regardless of party affiliation. As a legislative branch agency within the Library of Congress, CRS has been a valued and respected resource on Capitol Hill for more than a century.

CRS is well-known for analysis that is authoritative, confidential, objective and nonpartisan. Its highest priority is to ensure that Congress has 24/7 access to the nation’s best thinking.
source: Congressional Research Service (Library of Congress)

If it's good enough for the House and Senate, it's good enough for this thread discussion.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What?????? This is despicable!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
Really? He has the most stressful job in the world, and for the record he is working pretty much the whole time , he is never fully on vacation, but you are !
Still having trouble recognizing sarcasm, eh Dr. Cooper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies