Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 01:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It is a fine line for a mayor to walk, in this case I would disagree with the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Blasio needs to receive 10 lashes in Times Square, what an idiot, the blood of those officers is on his hands!
Wrong. De Blasio certainly didn't help things, but he is not responsible for the deaths of these officers. The blood of these officers is on the hands of their murderer and his alone.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I rarely agree with urban but I can't resist here. You can disagree with everything he does but to become the mayor of NYC you have to be a bit successful and it seems to me that he is defending him, not putting him down.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-22-2014 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and direct response

Old 12-22-2014, 01:27 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Some seem to forget that Police officers are not a protected class. They are an occupation. Being upset about how people look at your friends and family members speaks to a larger problem that they're part of even if they're not actively participating in it.

I don't have any reason to trust police officers. History has proven that. It's well documented and doesn't have a bias. And while the police are most certainly victims in this particular case, what happened here today does not speak to the same problem as what people have been protesting for the last six months, and what people have been living for their entire lives.

They're not comparable.

Quote:
Rob Nelson ‏@RobNelsonABC7
POLICE UNION PRES. PAT LYNCH: "for the 1st time in a number of years we have become a "wartime" police department. We will act accordingly"
This is the problem with police. They act like their lives are worth twice as much as the average citizen. And that mentality is why police continue to abuse their authority. We need cooler heads to prevail, not this 'blood on deBlasio's hands' bull****.

You expect these man-children to act as impartial arbiters when they can't even compose themselves in a professional context...not even 10 minutes after the news hits...

What's reprehensible is the police force using this as an excuse to further their own outrage and openly declare war on the public they're supposed to protect. This is absolutely NOT the time to lash out at people to get them to understand the preconceived biases against cops. This is, in fact, close to the worst possible time to bring that up given the context of the past few weeks on top of this atrocity being committed by someone who really wasn't any kind of "spokesperson" for the protests.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:29 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Don't underestimate Deblazio. He knows what he's doing, he's read the playbook. He's only been in office a year and getting his heel on the cops will take time. He's knows how Hitler dealt with Strasser, how Trotsky was dealt with.

He'll move out the ones he can't trust, those whose first loyalty isn't to him. He'll create new jobs, fill them with his spies. Everyone will be watched. Any sign that a cop isn't toeing the line, Deblazio's line, and he'll be disappeared, i.e., reassigned.

Three year from now, the NYPD will be Deblazio's PD.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Don't underestimate Deblazio. He knows what he's doing, he's read the playbook. He's only been in office a year and getting his heel on the cops will take time. He's knows how Hitler dealt with Strasser, how Trotsky was dealt with.
We will see. If he really wanted to reign in the abuses he would have allowed the stop and frisk suit to continue on. The idea is not to do it differently but to stop it and the courts could have done that. I don't think he actually wants that.

Quote:
He'll move out the ones he can't trust, those whose first loyalty isn't to him. He'll create new jobs, fill them with his spies. Everyone will be watched. Any sign that a cop isn't toeing the line, Deblazio's line, and he'll be disappeared, i.e., reassigned.

Three year from now, the NYPD will be Deblazio's PD.
This isn't toeing the line.

De Blasio Fights For The Right To Mass Arrest Peaceful Protesters : Gothamist

Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
I rarely agree with urban but I can't resist here. You can disagree with everything he does but to become the mayor of NYC you have to be a bit successful and it seems to me that he is defending him, not putting him down.
I lived in NYC for decades. de Blasio was elected because recent mayors were successful and the city was doing well. Liberal NY wants to believe it was a coincidence and elected this idiot, just like Dinkens.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Discuss the topic not other posters

Old 12-22-2014, 01:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, he didn't specify "bad cops".

He even commented publicly about teaching his Black son to be extra cautious around police officers.
That sounds like the actions of a prudent, realistic parent to me.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Quote:
We will see. If he really wanted to reign in the abuses he would have allowed the stop and frisk suit to continue on. The idea is not to do it differently but to stop it and the courts could have done that. I don't think he actually wants that.

This isn't toeing the line.

De Blasio Fights For The Right To Mass Arrest Peaceful Protesters : Gothamist
Inflaming social unrest is part of the playbook. Put more pressure on the cops, create more hatred towards them, a few more cops murdered, accuse them of racism, make their jobs impossible.

Then, after you've destroyed them, call for someone else to do it. Like Chavez's Bolivarian PD. Get rid of the old NYPD after discrediting it, replace it with a revolutionary PD loyal to Deblazio.

This scene has been repeated endlessly in the last century and we are witnessing a reprise now.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I lived in NYC for decades. de Blasio was elected because recent mayors were successful and the city was doing well. Liberal NY wants to believe it was a coincidence and elected this idiot, just like Dinkens.
LOL.....now that I understand.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-22-2014 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted part of quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies