Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
56, same here. I told someone once (on another message board) that I had never fired a gun, and he didn't believe me. He said it was not possible for someone to live in the United States and have never fired a gun. I thought that was one of the weirdest things anyone ever said. My mother is 86. I doubt she has ever touched a firearm in her life.

Since that conversation, I DID fire a shotgun when visiting my sister in the Poconos one winter. My BIL had everyone watch an NRA gun-safety video, then we (another sister, my daughter, two nieces) all went out into the woods and he showed us how to use the shotguns and we fired at clay pigeons.
Did you have fun?

I don't hunt, but I LOVE to target practice, I LOVE it!! One of my favorite pass times is to go into the woods and practice hitting the bullseye! What can I say it is fun. My family and I rarely carry our guns, mostly, for traveling. I travel 2 hours (one way) through a mountain canyon to get to the next biggest city in my area. Being alone, the gun gives me some safety from the possible danger of weirdos in the canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:19 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post

I've got one for you in DC. Lawful gun ownership is returning to our wonderful, well governed Capital.
Concealed carry is coming your way, so learn to embrace it.
Unless of course you don't qualify.
Actually the percentage of people who own guns is declining.

There won't be very many concealed carry permits issued by DC. You have to show a legitimate reason for a concealed carry permit, and "I want to" doesn't make it.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
My stats are from the FBI who gets their information from departments from around the country.
  1. Now just for fun, cite your source CrownVic95. Surely you have one?
  2. Due enlighten us on how you could possibly know when or where a crime will happen? Cite your source.
  3. Post your "statistical facts."

Don't be like DCforever and run away when challenged. DCforever claimed that it's almost impossible to be robbed, and I've shown that to be a lie. I revealed my source. That picture came from the FBI's website.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...crimeclock.gif
Nationally there are about 1.2 million violent crimes per year and the population is a little over 300 million. that mean your raw odds of being the victim of a violent crime is 0.4%. For most of us, it's actually quite a bit lower since crime is concentrated in poverty areas. If you add to that simple precautions one can take, you reduce the danger even further. In my 65 years of living in big cities, I've never been mugged, robbed or assaulted. People who carry a concealed weapon "for protection" are reacting to fear not risk.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actually the percentage of people who own guns is declining.

There won't be very many concealed carry permits issued by DC. You have to show a legitimate reason for a concealed carry permit, and "I want to" doesn't make it.
Yet another lie from you... Half of the U.S. adult population owns firearms lol. The Pew Research polling you're referring to called called 1504 people across the U.S. via landline and cell phone. They asked whether or not these people had guns in their home. 610 said yes, and 799 said no. Of the 799 that said no, 40% of then stated that they would not mind having a gun in their home, and 58% stated that they did. That leaves 930 gun friendly Americans vs 189 that are 100% against owning guns.

Many people who live in NY, DC, and other places are gun friendly, but do not own guns because of the current restrictions that are slowly being removed. Also the Pew Research poll has found that a "the vast majority of gun owners say that having a gun makes them feel safer." That further backs up that most Americans are gun friendly.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Any stats for that, or just another "I hate guns and will lie" to prove a non-existent point....
Since you called me a liar, I see no reason to continue this conversation.

Have a good weekend Chuck.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Nationally there are about 1.2 million violent crimes per year and the population is a little over 300 million. that mean your raw odds of being the victim of a violent crime is 0.4%. For most of us, it's actually quite a bit lower since crime is concentrated in poverty areas. If you add to that simple precautions one can take, you reduce the danger even further. In my 65 years of living in big cities, I've never been mugged, robbed or assaulted. People who carry a concealed weapon "for protection" are reacting to fear not risk.
That's 1.2 million EVERY SINGLE YEAR lol... LOL stop quoting statistics to me being that you understand none of it. I read actual reports, and you get your info and talking points from bais online and cable news spin pieces. The percentage (your chances) of being a victim of a violent crime increase every year that you're living on this planet Einstein. Furthermore, many violent crime, like rape for example, are NEVER REPORTED, so that 1.2 figure is on the low end.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
If you're are old enough to member, prior to 1970 and "ATF legislation" there was a gun in almost every household: older or newer, modern or antiquated but there was a gun in practically every household.
This has changed since gun registration became mandatory in most state so I truly believe that the percentage of gun owning Americans has dramatically declined in the past 50 years.
About 35-40% of households own guns. That's down from well over 50% in the 80s.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
Gun violence has been decreasing since 1970's which coincides with congress passing comprehensive gun control legislation that created ATF, fire arms registration system and imposed stiff penalties for possession of unregistered fire arms. It also compelled the police to actively enforce gun laws. Yes, gun control has already reduced gun violence in America.

The next step is to ensure that drug users, alcoholics and people with mental problems do not posses or have access to guns. Is that demand unreasonable?
There is NO study that has shown a cause and effect (correlation/causation) either way, so your assertion is false. There is no study that proves that gun control reduces crime, and none that proves that gun ownership and the rise in conceal carry permits is the cause for crime dropping. Crime has been on a study decline decades before many of these gun laws went into place.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:06 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Show us the FBI stats on those with a gun making a difference.

The FBI did a study on 160 active shootings, unarmed civilians did more to stop shooters than those with arms.
Wow, I just read the report. It is amazing that unarmed civilians were so effective in stopping these shooters.
"In 21 incidents (13.1%), the situation ended after unarmed citizens safely and successfully restrained the shooter. In 2 of those incidents, 3 off-duty law enforcement officers were present and assisted.
Another sad fact: 96% of the shooters were male. Men need to man up and stop that lunacy.

Less than 4% of the shooters were women even though they are half the population. Well done, ladies.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
That's 1.2 million EVERY SINGLE YEAR lol... LOL stop quoting statistics to me being that you understand none of it. I read actual reports, and you get your info and talking points from bais online and cable news spin pieces. The percentage (your chances) of being a victim of a violent crime increase every year that you're living on this planet Einstein. Furthermore, many violent crime, like rape for example, are NEVER REPORTED, so that 1.2 figure is on the low end.
Actually your odds of being exposed to a violent crime decline every year. Crime is going down in this country. In addition, once you are an adult, your odds of being exposed to a violent crime drops significantly. Owning a gun just makes it more likely that you will be involved in a violent confrontation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies