Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 01:09 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So what's the solution? Just shrug and accept gun accidents and deaths as a normal part of everyday life in the US?
I think the so-called "smart guns" might be a good idea for some people, though I wouldn't sign on to making them mandatory. And this might upset some of my fellow gun owners but I believe that the striker fired guns like Glocks are a bad choice for the average citizen who buys a gun for self-defense. These guns usually have a light trigger pull (about 5 lbs.) and no manual safety. I'm willing to bet that almost every "accidental discharge" that's been referred to has been with Glocks or similar guns. Double action revolvers with a long 12 lb. trigger pull are much less prone to "accidental" or unintended discharges. Same with double action semi-autos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And in every example you cited, if the first rule of firearm safety had been followed (never place your finger on the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon) none of those guns would have "gone off".

"If...if...if....if..."

Every time gun advocates are presented with an actual death, you roll out the "if only this" and the "if only that"...which always amounts to "if only people were perfect and didn't make mistakes..."

If only the Challenger never took off... If only parents weren't ever stupid...if only humans never made any errors...etc...

That's how we lower gun accidents??? Expect people to be perfect??? Hope the laws of physics change???

It's never going to happen. It's physically impossible. You have to build certain functional restrictions into guns.

More personalized guns will also deter the underground gun trade. You can't sell a gun illegally if someone has to bring it in to get the ID code changed. And I suppose there are many criminals out there who don't like that.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 01-04-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 01:27 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
And in every example you cited, if the first rule of firearm safety had been followed (never place your finger on the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon) none of those guns would have "gone off".
That's the point. A lot of people don't follow the basic rules of firearm safety. This woman who was killed by her toddler son at Walmart is a perfect (if tragic) example.

How do we get people to be more careful? If you're toting around a device designed to blow people's heads off, you need to exercise an extreme degree of awareness and safety at all times.

No exceptions, ever, under any circumstances.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:51 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
The first word in safety is that you can never make a loaded firearm safe.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:53 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The best safety is to not carry a gun. It isn't needed for personal safety and there is no way a loaded gun is ever "safe."
False. There are thousands and thousands of people that have used their firearm for personal safety. They don't care about other people irrational fear of firearms. In thei case, a firearm was needed for personal safety. They are just grateful that they live in a country that allowed them to defend themselves.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's the point. A lot of people don't follow the basic rules of firearm safety. This woman who was killed by her toddler son at Walmart is a perfect (if tragic) example.

How do we get people to be more careful? If you're toting around a device designed to blow people's heads off, you need to exercise an extreme degree of awareness and safety at all times.

No exceptions, ever, under any circumstances.
You think she designed her own gun pocketed purse?

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Products.aspx?c=30

Don't see a thing about child safety...

I would think a dexterous two or three year old might well be able to pull a weapon from a side or rear holster and shoot a person as well...

Again bad things happen. Collateral damage for large population of handguns.

If you take the steps to make them truly safe they become less suitable for self defense.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:04 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
You don't remember what you wrote just a few posts ago? You didn't mention crime rates you simply stated:
Fair enough, however, I was using the context that YOU provided. Your words. But. I stand by my assertion that permitting concealed carry is not intended to drive the crime rate down or be a crime fighting tool of any kind. All it is meant to do, is give the carrier an opportunity to defend themselves if they become a victim of crime.
Quote:
If not the public safety that what's the point of carrying a gun by an average citizen?
Self defrense, not public safety....

And I still don't understand your objection considerring that concealed carry has virtually no cost to society. It's been shown that areas that issue permits do no0t see an increase in violent crime or shooting deaths, so whats the objection here?
Quote:
Of course people carry guns to be safer,
Carrying a gun isn't going to make you any safer than not carrying one. Carrying a gun doesn't place an invisible forcefeild around you that repels criminals. It simply gives you the means and opportunity to defend yourself.
Quote:
people being safer make the country safer,
If carrying a gun put some kind of forcefeild around you and stopped a criminal from ever attacking you in the first place, than your statement above might be true, but that is not the case. Think about it..... if a woman is attacked and used her gun to defend herself, which is the intended purpose, a crime was still committed, right? It still goes in to the stats as a crime, the only difference is, the woman was able to fend off her attacker as opposed to being a victim.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You think she designed her own gun pocketed purse?
She obviously didn't have the weapon adequately secured if a two year old boy could get it and shoot her in the head.

No one should ever be carrying a firearm in a public place, especially with a round in the chamber, that is so easily accessible to anyone. A bad guy could have grabbed it and shot her as easily as her own son did.

Just collateral damage? If somebody took the life of one of my loved ones due to such extreme carelessness...well, let's just say I would be very upset.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I don't believe you: donidanko, whippersnapper and feightshakers posts are suspiciously similar.
Get a life!
What can I say, great minds do think alike.....

Quote:
Oh, so it is donidanko, whippersnapper and freightshaker.. Do you have any more screen names or is that it?
You know, you've really spun out of control with all this multiple creen names childish crap. You came in here so sure of yourself, until you found out you were debating people who were a little more formidable and knowlegable than you thought. You came out swinging, and now you're losing, so you're trying to distract with this stuff. This is the kind of junk that gets a thread closed, so I think our correspondence is done. You officialy became not worth my time when you showed that you weren't serious enough to debate this issue without dragging a bunch of immature school yard name calling and finger pointing in to it.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
We had a local police chief who accidentally shot his wife the other day. He was moving a gun off the bed and it simply went off.

We were sleeping when I shot my wife, Georgia police chief says on 911 tape - CNN.com
Balderdash! I gun doesn't simply just "go off"......

Quote:
No, he only shot her once and it wasn't in the head. He hasn't been charged with anything and is cooperating with the investigation.

The gun simply went off. As the 911 call shows, the chief said he shot his wife while moving his gun in bed.
“A gunshot wound. Accidental. Need medical ASAP,” McCollum said. "Shot in the back. "

“Who shot her?” the dispatcher asked.

“Me,” McCollum responds. “The gun was in the bed, I went to move it, put it aside and it went off.”
She has already been upgraded from critical to serious so it may turn out not be that big a deal.
Since when do people sleep with a gun IN the bed like some teddy bear or something? This is WAY fishy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies