Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,727,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The man has a family. How do you know they didn't want to spend christmas with him?

Listen to him. He's PO'ed he ain't having any fun and got a lump of coal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Man, Cosmos messed with them hard. May as well have called it "Neil Degrasse Tyson and Ann Druyan are tired of these knuckleheads."
Cosmos turned out to be a huge ratings disappointment, to such an extent that an originally planned second season was scratched after it was clear that this was not the hit that the producers hoped it would be. Except with extremists on the far left, of course, which are obviously well represented here in this forum and here in this thread.

People everywhere were excited about the announcement that Cosmos would be remade, regardless of who was the face for the show. And then the first episode aired, to great controversy and disappointment. Unfortunately, it was clear starting with episode #1 this show was being used as a front for an unappologetic attack on Christians and the Christian faith, which was disrespectful, intolerant, hostile, antagonistic and just plain rude.

And on top of that, Tyson was dishonest and misleading on a number of important points relating to his Anti-Christian smears, which has only served to further discredit him and any reputation he may have once had for being a man of integrity. Once again, an exception has to be made for many on the extremist left, who apparently revel and celebrate this sort of intolerant, dishonest religious hostility and unnecessary divisiveness.

Tyson's performance on this show has established him as a shrill, hard-left partisan hack who also happens to be a scientist. And not a reliably honest one of those. Hopefully, he is pleased with that being who he is recognized as by the public now (except, once again, among the extremist left), because his days of being received as an objective voice of science are gone for good.

He did that to himself, loudly and proudly, on television for all to see. He has only himself to blame.

And for that, he deserves the title of "Troll of the Year".

Last edited by Spartacus713; 01-05-2015 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 AM

14,488 posts, read 11,308,593 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
How petty.

What is it that you want from him? To declare his allegiance to your faith? To promise to never poke fun at Christians who are evidently so insecure about their faith that tweets with comedic intentions are taken seriously?
He was not poking fun at Christians. He was expressing his dislike for Christians, conversely, we are expressing our dislike for him.

Quote:
As I've said multiple times on this post, people really need to take a look at themselves. If someone questioning your faith upsets you so much, you should be asking yourself why. I did this and I realized it was because I had no real connection to my Christian faith. My faith was too weak and once questioned, I became defensive instead of thoughtful. Changed my life.
You consider him pointing out that Christmas was just another Thursday a profoundly thoughtful comment meant to engender soul searching????

On a scale of 1 to 10 in intellectual discourse, his insipid comment doesn't even register.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 01-05-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,623,375 times
Of course he was trolling. His Tweet was crafted specifically to insult Christians. He has a pretty long history of attacking religion and disrespecting Christians. He's an anti-religious bigot and all-around d-bag.

If someone tweeted this on Martin Luther King's birthday, would you consider it trolling and disrespectful?
"On this day, a child was born who made the world a more wonderful place. Happy Birthday Paula Deen!"

Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Of course he was trolling. His Tweet was crafted specifically to insult Christians. He has a pretty long history of attacking religion and disrespecting Christians. He's an anti-religious bigot and all-around d-bag.

If someone tweeted this on Martin Luther King's birthday, would you consider it trolling and disrespectful?
"On this day, a child was born who made the world a more wonderful place. Happy Birthday Paula Deen!"
If it was Paulas birthday also? Why would anyone be offended by someone mentioning her birthday?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:28 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,519,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Cosmos turned out to be a huge ratings disappointment, to such an extent that an originally planned second season was scratched after it was clear that this was not the hit that the producers hoped it would be. Except with extremists on the far left, of course, which are obviously well represented here in this forum and here in this thread.

People everywhere were excited about the announcement that Cosmos would be remade, regardless of who was the face for the show. And then the first episode aired, to great controversy and disappointment. Unfortunately, it was clear starting with episode #1 this show was being used as a front for an unappologetic attack on Christians and the Christian faith, which was disrespectful, intolerant, hostile, antagonistic and just plain rude.

And on top of that, Tyson was dishonest and misleading on a number of important points relating to his Anti-Christian smears, which has only served to further discredit him and any reputation he may have once had for being a man of integrity. Once again, an exception has to be made for many on the extremist left, who apparently revel and celebrate this sort of intolerant, dishonest religious hostility and unnecessary divisiveness.

Tyson's performance on this show has established him as a shrill, hard-left partisan hack who also happens to be a scientist. And not a reliably honest one of those. Hopefully, he is pleased with that being who he is recognized as by the public now (except, once again, among the extremist left), because his days of being received as an objective voice of science are gone for good.

He did that to himself, loudly and proudly, on television for all to see. He has only himself to blame.

And for that, he deserves the title of "Troll of the Year".
Refuting Creationism is all it takes to disrepect Christians. Pierce the bubble of their Young Earth delusions and they lose their collective ****.

All it takes is demonstrating science to get the goats of the religious.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,696,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is hard to call Neil deGrasse Tyson a troll when he is right. Though it does go to show how thin skinned Christians can be. Does it offend a Christian that I celebrate a fat bearded man in a red suit rather than their "Lord's" birthday?
The significance of what Neil did, as a international celebrity, flies over your head, as is does with so many people in the posts preceding yours.

I'm not a religious person at all, but I understand traditions, and have empathy for people who do follow religion, but I'm not a jerk. Even if I don't buy into their religion, I would not go out of my way to demean and ridicule an entire religion on one of their most cherished days of their religion.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,696,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Refuting Creationism is all it takes to disrepect Christians. Pierce the bubble of their Young Earth delusions and they lose their collective ****.

All it takes is demonstrating science to get the goats of the religious.
you can refute their belief in the whole Adam and Eve thing, they don't really care, because they know not everyone hold their views. But it crosses the line by turning a jerk and a troll, when people with views like like you go out of their way to put up a huge billboard to ridicule their faith and region during Christmas.

These people are jerks. Don't believe in religion? Fine, go live your life however you like, just try not to go out of your way to be an ***hole.

Atheist Billboard Christmas - Image Results

Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,742,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How is it insulting to say Christmas is called Thursday by those that don't celebrate it, or that Newton was born on Dec 25th insulting to people?
Exactly.

When did so many Christians become such whiners?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,742,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
For 300 years Newton's birthday as been overshadowed by Christmas. What's wrong with the reminder?
And, we know for a fact that Newton was born on Dec. 25th.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies