Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Because

1. It's a religion of minorities and they (the political left) hates whites, loves minorities

and

2. They're a bunch of spineless, gutless cowards that don't have the stones to mock that cult. Not even Bill Maher will take it as far as he really wants to take it.
It is multiple responses like this that make it very difficult to even have an intelligent discussion with some people.

(To keep this on subject: It's a good analogy of why many people feel that all folks on the right are ignorant, hateful, bigots, when in fact most of the people on the right are smart, thoughtful people with different ideas than I have [which I welcome and learn from]. To put a point on it, the vocal minority of a group can give the whole group a bad name. Whether Extremist Muslims, or Right Wing-nuts.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Just judging from all the De Nile, looks like I can rest my case ("onward Christian Soldiers"….LOL)!
I find those with a complete inability to stay on topic are usually apologists for the topic being discussed.

Nice to see you're okay with jihadists and radical Islam.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I find those with a complete inability to stay on topic are usually apologists for the topic being discussed.

Nice to see you're okay with jihadists and radical Islam.
I find that people naming others "apologists" are often people who cannot summon actual arguments, so they resort to diminishing their competitors in the argument by calling them names.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:09 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I find that people naming others "apologists" are often people who cannot summon actual arguments, so they resort to diminishing their competitors in the argument by calling them names.
Wrong. The argument is ignored by who I was responding to by their use of deflection.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think it's the same reason why they claim they are not racist but then vote for a man just because of his skin color or they claim they are for equality of the sexes and then vote for a woman just because she is one. Or, they claim they are for diversity but when it comes to diversity of ideas, not so much. Or, they claim they are for freedom of speech but then they try to drown out that speech or cut it off in of all places, college campuses. Or, they say they are pro-science but won't look at a sonogram image.

They'll stand up for the rights of radical Islam right up to the point where the blade slices through their neck. They're blind. They refuse to believe their multicultural lying eyes. If it's not that, then somewhere in their brain, where they process what they see, is very badly damaged.
I think this entire thread is just stupid beyond belief. Now, unlike the USA, Canada is a very LIBERAL country. I have never ever, not once heard or read anything said by a "Liberal" supporting radical Islam. Like NEVER.
I suppose in the teeny tiny minds of American RWNJs, affording Muslim people the same rights as the rest of the citizens is "Supporting radical Islam"

Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Wrong. The argument is ignored by who I was responding to by their use of deflection.
Not wrong.

Resorting to insults to demean another poster, or to marginalize them is an argumentative weakness. It suggests that one cannot muster a strong argument to challenge the others' assertions. And so one resorts to personal attacks.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:18 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
A little hard to believe that Jimmy Carter considers the Palestinian issue as a cause of the Paris attacks when none of the perpetrators (AFAIK) are from there:

“Well, one of the origins for it is the Palestinian problem and, you know, this aggravates people who are affiliated in any way with the Arab people who live in the West Bank and Gaza, what they are doing now, what’s begin done to them,” Carter said when asked how much religion plays a part into extremist terror attacks, specifically the ones in Paris last week that left 17 dead.

Jimmy Carter blames origins of Charlie Hebdo attack on 'the Palestinian problem' | WashingtonExaminer.com

Also is it because it "aggravates people" or are those people simply unjustifiably using it as an excuse?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Quite a few posters have made this point, but I have to disagree w/ it. The problems stem not so much as a few bad apples, but from the central tenets of Islam, for example the dictum that apostasy is punishable by death:

Or forced conversion...
Funny, what you accuse Islam of here, is an accusation that is running politics in India against Christians at this very moment.

Extremism, meet extremism. Fanaticism, meet fanaticism.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The last time Pat Robertson or Mike Huckabee murdered a journalist or beheaded anyone was ?
Why try that when you can wage wars? Topple governments? Create chaos? Instigate to have others do it for you... a win-win, because then you can also sell more arms (to self and others). Your friends are going to be thankful as well.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:57 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It is multiple responses like this that make it very difficult to even have an intelligent discussion with some people.

(To keep this on subject: It's a good analogy of why many people feel that all folks on the right are ignorant, hateful, bigots, when in fact most of the people on the right are smart, thoughtful people with different ideas than I have [which I welcome and learn from]. To put a point on it, the vocal minority of a group can give the whole group a bad name. Whether Extremist Muslims, or Right Wing-nuts.)
This idea keeps coming up in this thread, and this is one of the more elegantly expressed examples. Although Islam like Christianity has many variants, still it has one Book that is deemed to be 'received' (as a revelation from God), and Islam will always tend to return to what is in that book.

Just as Christianity went 'mainstream' around the mid-20th century. Methodists, Episcopalians, and other groups began to drop literalist interpretations of the Bible in efforts to adapt to modernity. But in the last quarter of the century, there was a resurgence of 'Evangelicals' who are fundamentalists and literalists to the point of practicing 'speaking in tongues' because it is in their Book.

When the Quran has passages like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quran
fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them...
Islam is probably going to be a problematic religion always. Could it reform itself and find a way to consider such passages as no longer applicable? I don't know, but I do know that that hasn't yet happened in over 1300 years.

Name me another religion where a critic like Ayaan Hirsi Ali has to have 24/7 armed security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies