Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
By saying you understand it, you give credence to the notion that there are two sides to the issue. There aren't. Their acts are unjustifiable.
The human race is interesting, because through their words and their actions, they can justify anything.

I received a message in a letter. I understood the message. However, I disagree with the deliverance of the letter, but I that did not take away from the understanding of the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:48 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,085 times
Seems like there is a lot of outrage over the shooting, like outrage over a person that walks out in front of a Truck, just because he has the "right of way." No brainer on the result of that. Would you do it, just because you can? Would you walk out in a Forest and kick a Hornets Nest, just because you are "Free" to do so? This paper, for Money, did not mind offending thousands of peaceful Muslims to make a buck. What they got in return was wrong, but not unexpected. Its not like its the first time reactions to this kind of "Classroom Bully" behavior has gotten reprisals and threats. This has nothing to do with "Freedom of Speech" but more to do with common sense and respecting any religion, even if you don't agree or participate in any religion.

Westerners have no idea how much Religion means to other people and the Dedication they devote to theirs, because being a "Good Christian" means just don't get caught doing anything bad, to a lot of folks. How many of you would go on National TV and burn a Koran in front of the Camera? Probably not that many, even if its your right, for freedom f expression, most folks aren't that stupid. If you did do it, to sell copies of your video doing it, then what you get in return, right or wrong, is on you. The Paper should have thought more about the welfare of its employees, instead of money from sales.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I hope you mean the Islamic are the bullies?
They became the bully.

Some one said that my words indicate that there are two sides. There are always two sides to an argument and if we can understand both sides, we may be able to put an end to the madness.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Because there is no "understanding" of murderous rage over someone else's words.

Ever. What I "understand" about it is that their beliefs make them unacceptable in a free world. They cannot co-exist with freedom. Period.
Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,456,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Didn't see that
Caught a gimpse of them talking about it on the news station, quickly, I was working as usual. But I did pay attention. I was hoping someone on the forum has more details. And when it did take place.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM

18,476 posts, read 15,266,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The human race is interesting, because through their words and their actions, they can justify anything.

I received a message in a letter. I understood the message. However, I disagree with the deliverance of the letter, but I that did not take away from the understanding of the message.
Justification, by its own definition, must be accepted as such or else there is no justification at all.

Even a child understands the message. "We don't like you insulting our prophet." I thought that would be a given. Why even bother claiming understanding on that level? When you said "I understand." it seemed pretty clear you were saying it on a deeper level.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,851 times
I'm torn on this slightly. On one hand I like the fact that Charlie Hebdo wasn't going to be silenced by the terrorist. They should have the right to draw what ever they want without physical retaliation of violence.

On the other hand part of me thinks this is incredibly stupid. Yes you don't want to be silenced by terrorist because that can send a message that terrorist can silence what they want through violence. But unless Charlie Hebdo ups their security or in some way protects themselves more they are kicking the hornets nest AGAIN knowing that the hornets strike without taking precautions.

Now I'm all for killing the **** out of these hornets. But kicking a hornets nest is just not smart. I don't know what I would do. I would probably continue to draw but spend a significant amount of money to protect my employees.

I'm curious how this scenario would play out if it were to happen like this. What would Charlie Hebdo do if they were attacked again because of what they drew? Would/should they draw again? And if attacked again after that? Would/should they choose to continue this cycle of creating cartoons that lead to violent attacks (all of this hypothetically speaking of course)? I obviously hope this doesn't happen but what if?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:00 PM

18,476 posts, read 15,266,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword.
In this case, those who live by words, will die by the sword.

Sounds like a horrible existence to me.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
By saying you understand it, you give credence to the notion that there are two sides to the issue. There aren't. Their acts are unjustifiable.
There is always two sides to everything, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If one can't understand it, then they are doomed to relive the same lessons over and over. To a Devout Muslim, the offense was a great as some one raping your daughter in front of you. Do you understand that? What measures would you be willing to take to avenge that, right or wrong? I would say that you would need to let the Law handle it, and let it go, but would "Understand" if you killed the perp, even if I thought it was unacceptable.

No need to say people are "Apologists" or "Terrorist Sympathizers" just because they have more understanding of foreign cultures, and have been there to see how these folks live and think, in different parts of the World. No sane person agrees with murder, but that does not mean you can not understand how a person or persons may be pushed to that point. Just because you can not see, does not mean everyone is blind.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,761,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Because there is no "understanding" of murderous rage over someone else's words.

Ever. What I "understand" about it is that their beliefs make them unacceptable in a free world. They cannot co-exist with freedom. Period.
Exactly. Their beliefs are unacceptable not only in a free world but also in a civilized society.This was not just an attack on individual people, this was also an attack on freedom. There are countries that will put you in jail, and in some cases put you to death if you "offend", perhaps those siding with these barbarians can go live there? The rest of us will enjoy our freedom, and will not tolerate those who wish to take it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies