Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
First, I don't believe your numbers.

Second, America is number 2 in the world in manufacturing.

There are PLENTY careers out there that pay very well and you DON'T need a college degree.

sure, but peple d need skills to qualify for those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What frosts me so much is a lot of jobs want a degree of some sort for employment, but generally, the degree has nothing to do with what the job is.
But you got exactly what you wanted. How could you possibly be frosted?

Quote:
Many businesses require you to have perfect credit and will make you submit to a credit check now just to put in an application.
I know....exhilarating isn't it?

I don't suppose you'd want to be invited to an up-coming seminar in which I'll be presenting, and we'll be showing employers how to do credit checks without doing credit checks, in order to get around any future legislation that might block employers from conducting credit checks.

I guess you'll be frosted about that, too.

Rodents adapted.....why can't you?

Quote:
Add to this the "personality" tests people are required to go through when they put in their application and you can see why so many people are still having a hard time finding work.
Well, how tragic.

I'm saddened that I won't have the opportunity to work with a racial bigot, be bullied, be stalked, be harassed by a nutter, rub elbows with pedophiles, child abusers or spouse abusers, have my belongings stolen, and then get shot by a postal-nutter, whilst working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Obama says he wants wages to rise and more Americans to work.
Then he does things that defeat exactly that goal.
That would be amusing if it wasn't so damned sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What is Black unemployment -30-40% ?
Minimum wage increases have a lot to do with that.

Displacement is a phenomenon you see around the Micro-metropolitan Statistical Areas and the small to medium-sized Metropolitan Statistical Areas.

One of the Economic Laws is Opportunity Costs. At $5.15/hour minimum wage, it isn't worth Jethro's time to drive from one county to another to work. When you raise the minimum wage to $7.25/hour, not it's worth Jethro's time, and so he displaces an urban worker, who is usually Black.

At the heart of the matter here is the fact that there are factors which can increase the size of the Labor Market.

Technology, transportation and wages are the three biggest factors determining the size of a Labor Market for a specific Skill-set.

An employer needs employees; what do employees need?

Access to the Labor Market.

An employee can get access by walking, biking, using the bus, driving, some other form of mass transit, or via the internet from his home.

Discussions on minimum wage are inordinately relegated to fast-food workers, and I hate to condone that, but as a fast food worker, your competition is not every unemployed person.

Your competition is only those unemployed workers who have the Fast-Food Skill-set; and, are seeking employment in Fast-Food; and, who have access to your Market.

Every time the minimum wage is increased, access to the Market is increased via Opportunity Costs, resulting in less competitive/skilled workers being displaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I couldn't agree more. This topic has been beat to death on this forum; but, these leftists continue to start thread after thread with the same meme, that the government "subsidizes" businesses that pay minimum wage for some positions.
It's a Left-Wing talking point. These people here aren't smart enough to come up with crap like this on their own.

Frosting...

Mircea

Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 PM

302 posts, read 196,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It's a Left-Wing talking point. These people here aren't smart enough to come up with crap like this on their own.

Frosting...

Mircea
Well I mean it is pretty much proven fact that Walmart encourages their employees to apply for food stamps, even providing training videos.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
"People who work at Walmart and need food stamps should get more skills!"

I'm just wondering what conservatives think would happen if every person in America got a college degree. Would WalMart go out of business? Or would WalMart just have a bunch of cashiers with college degrees (who conservatives would lambast for being lazy bums for not getting a masters)?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:23 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
"People who work at Walmart and need food stamps should get more skills!"

I'm just wondering what conservatives think would happen if every person in America got a college degree. Would WalMart go out of business? Or would WalMart just have a bunch of cashiers with college degrees (who conservatives would lambast for being lazy bums for not getting a masters)?
1. more skill =/= to college

2. retail has always been about low skill...then you WORK your way up to section chief, etc

3. less than 3% of ALL WORKERS work at or about min wage

you want to earn more..you get a skill...you self improve..you show self esteem and self pride......not whine about how you are getting paid crap, when you do crap work

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

2. retail has always been about low skill...then you WORK your way up to section chief, etc

you want to earn more..you get a skill...you self improve..you show self esteem and self pride......not whine about how you are getting paid crap, when you do crap work
Do not know why we even bother replying to you when you completly ignored the question that was asked instead went on about the same old get more skills rant. Is that the only answer you and others can ever come up with? It is like critical thinking does not exist.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:37 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
sure, but peple d need skills to qualify for those jobs.
You've had 30 years to develop a skill. You've chosen not to. But if you had, you would have a career available to you.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Ok, so every American follows your advice and acquires infinity skills. I guess WalMart is going to have a lot of section chiefs!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
A higher wage also has ripple effects. If I can only budget 100k for salaries and benefits and the cost of employees goes up, I have a few options because the government mandate does not change my budget. I can reduce hours and have less employees to cover the same work. I can fire some and have less employees to do the same work. I can raise prices which hurts customers and possibly my business which could leave us all with no pay while also negating the increased income for the employees through increasing the prices.

Another option might be for the government to reduce my tax burden so I might have some more room to move or to reduce taxes on good and services, sales taxes etc. to make the employees funds stretch further. An additional option, would be for the employee to strive to move out of that pay scale through either working hard at the job I gave them to move up, developing new skills, or using the entry level job to move into a higher paying job elsewhere.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
A higher wage also has ripple effects. If I can only budget 100k for salaries and benefits and the cost of employees goes up, I have a few options because the government mandate does not change my budget. I can reduce hours and have less employees to cover the same work. I can fire some and have less employees to do the same work. I can raise prices which hurts customers and possibly my business which could leave us all with no pay while also negating the increased income for the employees through increasing the prices.

Another option might be for the government to reduce my tax burden so I might have some more room to move or to reduce taxes on good and services, sales taxes etc. to make the employees funds stretch further. An additional option, would be for the employee to strive to move out of that pay scale through either working hard at the job I gave them to move up, developing new skills, or using the entry level job to move into a higher paying job elsewhere.
Keep in mind that the minimum wage goes up for every business, not just yours. So many of your customers will get a raise (even the ones making more than min wage, to a point). So if you really can't reduce your profits and have to raise prices, it won't be to the degree of the increase in consumer incomes. Unless you target wealthy customers, in which case you're essentially transferring wealth from wealthy people to low-wage workers. Which is the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies