Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:05 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times

Advertisements

Children who are eligible for such lunches do not necessarily live in poverty. Subsidized lunches are available to children from families that earn up to $43,568, for a family of four, which is about 185 percent of the federal poverty level. Families receiving subsidizes for school lunches for their children includes the middle class, HappyTexan.

- See more at: No, A Majority of US Public School Students are Not In Poverty

Short term, tax cuts to the middle class and increases in capital gains taxes on highest earners make sense. I just wish the republicans would have proposed them first.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-18-2015 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Children who are eligible for such lunches do not necessarily live in poverty. Subsidized lunches are available to children from families that earn up to $43,568, for a family of four, which is about 185 percent of the federal poverty level. Families receiving subsidizes for school lunches for their children includes the middle class, HappyTexan.

- See more at: No, A Majority of US Public School Students are Not In Poverty

Short term, tax cuts to the middle class and increases in capital gains taxes on highest earners make sense. I just wish the republicans would have proposed them first.
This is not new news to some people who have been following this.
It's that they didn't think we'd hit this number this soon.

Medicaid eligibility guidelines apply...a family of 4 earns $23K, not the $43K you say.
The $43K is for reduced lunches which is also now below the median for middle class (that has sunk to $47K).

America is in decline and tax credits are not going to bring them back.
You are not middle class when you need government subsidies to live your life.

Here are the guidelines for 2014 school year.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...2014-04788.pdf

Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
He is proposing a minor increase on the inheritances of who make more than 500K and a fee on banks (proposed by a Republican BTW)and returning most of that in the form of lowered taxes on the middle class. What's wrong with that?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He is proposing a minor increase on the inheritances of who make more than 500K and a fee on banks (proposed by a Republican BTW)and returning most of that in the form of lowered taxes on the middle class. What's wrong with that?
Only those with kids though.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:30 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
I'm not following you. We weren't talking about medicaid, HappyTexan.

You stated in a previous post that children from poverty were the only ones receiving school lunch subsidies. I quoted an article, which was a summation of a longer NYTimes article, stating middle class kids participated in these subsidized school lunch programs. The article stated income guidelines for eligibility in the school lunch programs included the middle class income levels.

If the need for subsidies to feed their children doesn't reflect a middle class strain on finances, I don't know what does. The middle class needs tax breaks. One way to pay for that is taxing high earners. I support them.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-18-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm not following you. We weren't talking about medicaid, HappyTexan.

You stated in a previous post that children from poverty were the only ones receiving school lunch subsidies. I quoted an article, which was a summation of a longer NYTimes article, stating middle class kids participated in these school lunch programs, too. The article stated income guidelines for eligibility in the school lunch programs included the middle class income levels.

If the need for subsidies to feed their children doesn't reflect the middle classes strain on finances, I don't know what does. They need tax breaks. One way to pay for that is taxing high earners and I support that.
I was referring to the eligibility guidelines for free lunch and attached the FNS document.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:34 AM

It's a $500 credit for families with 2 working spouses.
It's $3000 credit for child care.

That's going to fix the middle class ?

That $500 for families with 2 working spouses probably eliminates a good portion tax filers.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think we should end the "State of the Union" speech. There is no Constitutional requirement that the President give his "report" orally, and it isn't even a "report" anymore, but it is a Propaganda tool, another chance for the President to blame the opposing Party for the nations ills, and excuse himself from responsibility for anything. We don't need to hear it. Abolish it. Let him do as the Constitution requires, and make a written report.
I ended it in my living room already. The last one I saw was when he insulted the Supreme Court. He's a proven liar so why bother. Plus, the last season of Justified has its 1st episode that night.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's a $500 credit for families with 2 working spouses.
It's $3000 credit for child care.

That's going to fix the middle class ?

That $500 for families with 2 working spouses probably eliminates a good portion tax filers.
His reasoning for the $500 credit/2 working spouses bothers the hell out of me. It's meant to tip the scales for a working mother to STAY working and not stay home.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Let's reframe this. The president is expected to propose:

A new $500 second earner tax credit for couples with 2 working spouses to benefit 24 million couples, and

Triple the Child Care tax credit up to $3000 per child under age 5 to benefit 5.1 families, and

Free Community College Tuition ( not clear if this is across the board for anyone or limited to youth or if it depends on highschool GPA and ACT)

He plans to pay for this by:

Restoring the cap on Capital Gains Tax on those with AGI > $200,000 to the same rate it was under Reagan, and

Closing the known loophole on Capital Gains associated with inheritence, and

A new fee on the top 100 largest bank with > $ 50 billion in assets

Seems to me these proposals are intended to benefit Middle Class families. Single mothers would not be eligible for the second earner tax credit. Those with no earned income and children under 5 would not benefit. It's not clear if the free Community College Tuition thing would have any qualifiers.

How many have AGI > $200,000 and meaningful Capital Gains in the same year?

How many people inherit meaningful wealth ?

A new fee on 100 big banks favors the smaller community bank.

Color me neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies