Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No Congress , regardless of which party, holds the majority is going to pass a flat tax. it is the opposite of the current code which favors seriously high income earners and the working poor.

Everyone should have skin in the game, including those who rely on lines of credit backed by their assets to pay for their lifestyle instead of income and the working poor who have more children than they can support without a government subsidy.
The real rich will always have a way out so it's fruitless to go after them.
Money buys power and every Congress critter knows that. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

$200K is middle class only Obama has redefined it to "rich".
They are going after the middle class..the upper end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tituspullo View Post
EXACTLY!!!

Obama is slick he knows none of his proposals have a snowballs chance in hell of passing but the spectacle of the republicans so determined to quash middle class taxcuts, free tuition, and calling for mass deportation by reversing his initiatives on immigration,spotlighting the new Congress war on social security, abortions banned and safety nets burnt

will you vote against your OWN best interests (again)
will you wake the sleeping giant and
will they vote accordingly in 2016?

Good Play Mr President you aint got nothing to lose and he refuses to just go play golf
Yup..promote all these huge spending proposals and when the Repubs say no it will be played in the MSM over and over in hopes that the Dems can take control again in 2016.

The majority of Americans are takers and will play right along with him.
"Look at what the Republicans are denying you"

Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,858,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I am always amazed at how many people here pity the poor billionaires. I hope their love is reciprocated, but I seriously doubt it. I also doubt that there are many one-per-centers on this board, or that anyone here will ever rise to that financial level.

Those who make the most have an obligation to pay the most, period. Congress has the power to levy taxes to meet the bills of the nation. In other word, if a company like, say, Halliburton makes obscene profits due to war profiteering while the country goes three trillion dollars into debt, they should be obligated to pony up to discharge that debt. The middle class is shrinking due to a number of factors. They cannot possibly be considered as a means to keep the country solvent.

Why tax the rich? Like Willie Sutton said when they asked him why he robbed banks: "That's where the money is!".
What is " rich" ?

1/5 make enough to be in the 2% club at some point in their life.

1/8 make enough to be in the 1% club at some point in their life.

It's a fluid state.

The average income of the 1% is around $ 1.5 million., meaning half make less often more than $1 million less and half make more, a lot more. It also does not take into account where the earner lives and the local cost of living.

And then there's a multitude of strategies to minimize or eliminate any tax obligation.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
What is " rich" ?

1/5 make enough to be in the 2% club at some point in their life.

1/8 make enough to be in the 1% club at some point in their life.

It's a fluid state.

The average income of the 1% is around $ 1.5 million., meaning half make less often more than $1 million less and half make more, a lot more. It also does not take into account where the earner lives and the local cost of living.

And then there's a multitude of strategies to minimize or eliminate any tax obligation.
Obama has defined it as $200K a year in salary.
And he said that 6 years ago.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,573,242 times
Just remember that Obama never met a dollar that he did not want to tax to a tune of seventy percent.

Including those that he "gives" to the poor.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:02 AM

15,665 posts, read 10,439,676 times
The republicans will continue to lose if we don't wake up and start proposing something instead of saying no. Platitudes, wishing and hoping things were different, slogans aren't going to win elections. Neither is the common attitude I see from my party and I'm paraphrasing here....."I made it and because you are struggling you are a loser, wrong, lazy, stupid [insert derogatory term here] person."

The country is changing and we republicans can change with it or go the way of the dinosaur. And I don't mean we give everyone a house and an Obamaphone.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,858,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is Obama's legacy. He's got 2 more years so go crying to him, not the Republicans.
Are you implying a Republican majority Congress " do nothing" until/ unless there is a Republican in the oval?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,804,449 times
Where's Gruber, did they lock him up so he doesn't spill the beans on this. I'll bet he will be laughing his ass off at the stupidity of the American voter after he hears Obama speak.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Are you implying a Republican majority Congress " do nothing" until/ unless there is a Republican in the oval?
No, I was replying to a poster who asked what the Republicans were going to do to fix it.
And I quoted that person in my response which you removed.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:08 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,028,894 times
What is rich? Someone with a house, to a homeless person. It's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies