Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

In his "State of the Union" speech to Congress (and to the American people, since it is always broadcast) I read that he is going to propose higher taxes on "high earners" in order to pay for "tax credits" for others. These "transfer payments" are also known as "wealth redistribution."

With the new Republican Congress, I predict: FAIL! Apparently Obama does not think these "high earners" are taxed enough. He really sees them as "cash cows" to be exploited; to be robbed of their hard earned money to reward the lazy, the 'slackers' who are already feeding off the wealth of others.

And don't bring up Social Security and those who receive it. Social Security is not funded by the government, but is paid for by American workers. In fact, the government owes Social Security millions of dollars (if not billions). And, the government continues to rob Social Security to add "benefits" that SS was never intended to provide (disability, for example), which is another reason why it is going broke.

It's time for a cut back in government spending. Why are tax increases always the solution that Democrats propose, and their ever increasing "programs" which are bankrupting our nation? Let's have some new ideas. How about we cut the size of government? Lets get rid of some of the "administrative agencies" and their worthless "studies" and thousands of "workers" who do not benefit society, but only feed on the largesse, the taxes that we pay.

I think we should end the "State of the Union" speech. There is no Constitutional requirement that the President give his "report" orally, and it isn't even a "report" anymore, but it is a Propaganda tool, another chance for the President to blame the opposing Party for the nations ills, and excuse himself from responsibility for anything. We don't need to hear it. Abolish it. Let him do as the Constitution requires, and make a written report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 05:18 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
As for ending the State of the Union address, wishful thinking. I agree that the Constitution does not mandate an 'oral' statement to Congress:

"He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient".

It was first given orally by George Washington. Yet, President Jefferson did not like the thought of his going before Congress to give an oral report (he thought it was too much like the British Monarch appearing in front of Parliament), and so started the written tradition, which lasted (with exceptions) until the 1930s, after which it has always been oral.

It does not have to be 'annually' but tradition now dictates that it be so.

It has also become 'tradition' for the Opposing Party to give a Response, although not constitutionally required.

Reading the annual statements by Lincoln are instructive on what had been the 'accepted form', for the address had a detailed 'order' in terms of subjects. When I first read them, I expected the Civil War to be the opening: but since the part about conditions within the US was traditionally left until almost last, that was where one found Lincoln speaking about the war.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Screw him. All the commie-in-chief can do now is run his mouth. None of this has a chance in Hell.
The sheeple that worship him will get nothing more. Can't wait to see this spectacle on Tuesday.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Screw him. All the commie-in-chief can do now is run his mouth. None of this has a chance in Hell.
The sheeple that worship him will get nothing more. Can't wait to see this spectacle on Tuesday.
I agree, but I probably won't watch it. This idiot has nothing new to offer. He's already a "has been" and he has done so much damage to the United States and our standing in the world that there is nothing he can say that would be meaningful. He could skip this. We don't need it.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I agree, but I probably won't watch it. This idiot has nothing new to offer. He's already a "has been" and he has done so much damage to the United States and our standing in the world that there is nothing he can say that would be meaningful. He could skip this. We don't need it.
Plus, it will give the Repubs a lot of ammo for their political aspirations in 2016, huh? Yep, bad move Mr Prez.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
It could have a chance in hell, you have to remember we are talking about {R}s. The McCain/Graham war mongering wing is chomping at the bit for of course increased military spending. Another card is the Keystone pipeline which is widely supported by {R}s. Obama might not bend them over but could end up with half, there will be some kind of tax increase with support from a {R} controlled congress.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
President Obama is performing a very useful service. Those who have been paying attention noticed that he passed the most massive and one-sided tax increase in history, a mighty increase on society's MVP's, and now have solid evidence that there will NEVER be an end to it. When the rich are gone, the cannibals will move on to the middle class.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I support this proposal and hope the republicans pass it. I plan to write my congressmen and tell them I do.

The middle class needs tax breaks. They are struggling and increasing the capital gains tax on people making $500,000 plus will help fund those tax breaks. Since 51% of school kids, the freaking majority, qualify for school lunch programs, we have a problem, a huge problem in this country.

What other ways do you think we can help these struggling families in the short term? Long term solutions are another kettle of fish altogether.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:37 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Since Obama is owned by the 1% and has done nothing but their bidding since day one, I think its laughable anybody thinks he is serious. Expect more tax loopholes and lack of regulation and oversight for major players and he'll bend over backwards to let them find new ways to monopolize entire industries.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I support this proposal and hope the republicans pass it. I plan to write my congressmen and tell them I do.

The middle class needs tax breaks. They are struggling and increasing the capital gains tax on people making $500,000 plus will help fund those tax breaks. Since 51% of school kids, the freaking majority, qualify for school lunch programs, we have a problem, a huge problem in this country.

What other ways do you think we can help these struggling families in the short term? Long term solutions are another kettle of fish altogether.
That 51% that get free lunch are living at or below poverty.
They are NOT the middle class.

And this will not fix it either. The middle class has decline and is in decline.
Tax credits aren't going to bring them back. Sure it will put a little more money in the pocket of those that have kids but certainly not enough to bring them back to where they were. And then you have those without kids that will get nothing.

The demographics of the country is changing. And it's not like it was foretold.

Middle class decline looms over final years of Obama presidency
Federal Reserve survey data show families in the middle fifth of the income scale now earn less and their net worth is lower than when Obama took office.
Over the six years through 2013, the middle fifth's average annual family earnings fell to $47,243 from $53,008 while their average net worth dropped to $170,066 from $236,525.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies