Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I've never gotten a flu vaccine and have never gotten the flu.

Same here.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
They fear for their Purity of Essence. They can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Same here.
I've never gotten a small pox vaccinations and have never gotten small pox

you don't think your missing a larger point here?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:27 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
From the article: Why don't more people get flu shots. . .the fact is "Influenza and pneumonia, which the Centers for Disease Control groups together, have long been among the top-ten annual killers in the U.S. In 2010 (the most recent year for which there is final data), the count was an estimated 53,826 Americans — more than six times the number of worldwide deaths from Ebola last year."

Freakonomics » Why Doesnt everyone get the flu vaccine

Walking away from the conspiracy theorists, the main reason Flu Vaccine's aren't more popular (and they really should be) is human critical thinking. . .

" And so that means, the more salient, or more vivid something is, the easier it is for us to recall. … For instance, if we see an earthquake happening in the news, then somehow, because that’s very vivid, we tend to overestimate the probability of an earthquake occurring. … And so, I think the problem with vaccination in the end comes down to this: When it’s working, it’s not very memorable. … It’s more newsworthy when we see things not working. But when a vaccine is working, nobody wants to talk about it."

Noten a side note for the tin foil crowd, the CIA is directly responsible for growing polio rates in Pakistan.
"Vaccine skeptics will hardly be comforted by the bizarre true story of how the CIA used a Pakistani vaccine campaign as cover during the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. You’ll hear all about it from Mark Mazzetti, a Pulitzer-winning New York Times reporter who chronicles the saga in his book"
Why do you care what other people do with their bodies? You try so hard to demonize those who don't share your opinion that you display mental health issues with your obsessive compulsive drive to force everyone to think like you.

At my recent physical the doctor was visibly upset when I refused a flu shot. She asked incredulously "I just have to ask, why on earth would you NOT want a flu shot?". I told her I hadn't had the flu in decades and wasn't worried about getting it that year either. I asked her if I was in danger of dying from the flu? She said "No", I was not. I asked her if she could guarantee I wouldn't get the flu after taking this shot? She said "No, she could not guarantee that.". I asked if it was true that the vast majority of flu deaths are elderly, infants or those with compromised immune systems? She said "Yes, that is true.". I asked if she made a commission on each flu shot she administered? She told me "I was in good health and she'd see me next year.", then walked out without saying goodbye. She knew it was nonsense.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I've never gotten a small pox vaccinations and have never gotten small pox

you don't think your missing a larger point here?
What is the larger point? It's the flu for God's sake, not Small Pox. There's no reason a healthy adult needs to worry about dying from the flu. It's a Big Pharma/Corporate boogeyman.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
What is the larger point? It's the flu for God's sake, not Small Pox. There's no reason a healthy adult needs to worry about dying from the flu. It's a Big Pharma/Corporate boogeyman.
Seriously? Flu/pneumonia (a complication of flu) was the 8th leading cause of death last year! Meanwhile, there were no deaths from smallpox. My guess is your doctor knew it was hopeless to try to talk to you about this further. "Commission"? Surely you jest! And "low risk" does not mean "no risk", something the scientifically illiterate don't seem to get.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Seriously? Flu/pneumonia (a complication of flu) was the 8th leading cause of death last year! Meanwhile, there were no deaths from smallpox. My guess is your doctor knew it was hopeless to try to talk to you about this further. "Commission"? Surely you jest! And "low risk" does not mean "no risk", something the scientifically illiterate don't seem to get.
WHAT doctor? lol ACA may require you have health insurance, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water (health insurance), but you cannot make them drink (GO to doctors).

Is "my" doctor going to report Senior me for not getting any recommended vax? One step ahead of you there.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
the last time i got a flu vaccine, i got the flu. ever since i refuse to get the flu vaccine, and have not gotten the flu since.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
WHAT doctor? lol ACA may require you have health insurance, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water (health insurance), but you cannot make them drink (GO to doctors).

Is "my" doctor going to report Senior me for not getting any recommended vax? One step ahead of you there.
I was responding to Mason3000 who gave a bizarre story about a conversation with his doctor. I don't know what on earth you're talking about, being reported.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the last time i got a flu vaccine, i got the flu. ever since i refuse to get the flu vaccine, and have not gotten the flu since.
The last time I went to the movies we had an earthquake, so I don't go to the movies anymore, havnt had an earthquake since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies