Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:37 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
We hear so much about the side effects of vaccines. True serious adverse reactions are as rare as hen's teeth, as the saying goes. Your Cochrane buddies said as much. Here are some side effects of Vitamin A. Remember you said "megadoses".

Vitamin A (retinol) Safety - Drugs and Supplements - Mayo Clinic
My allowable three sentences, you'll have to read it to get all the info:

Vitamin A may cause bleeding in the lungs, blurry vision, bone pain, breathing difficulty, changes in immune function, chronic inflammation of the liver, cirrhosis (scarring of liver), cough, cracked fingernails, cracked lips, death, decreased thyroid function, depression, diarrhea, feeling of fullness, fever, fluid around heart, hair loss, high cholesterol, increased pressure in the brain, increased risk of HIV transmission (through breastfeeding), increased risk of lung cancer, increased risk of heart disease, increased white blood cells, indigestion, inflammation of the conjunctiva (conjunctivitis), injection site pain, irritability, joint pain, mouth ulcers, muscle pain, psoriasis flare-ups, pain, perisinusoidal fibrosis (in the liver), redness (from skin use), respiratory infection, seizure, skin irritation, sore eyes, steatosis (fatty change), stomach and intestine adverse effects, and suicidal thoughts.

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Vitamin A should only be used within the recommended dietary allowance, because vitamin A excess, as well as deficiency, has been associated with birth defects.

Vitamin A may increase the risk of bleeding when taken with drugs that increase the risk of bleeding.....Vitamin A may also interact with agents for depression, agents for diarrhea, agents for lowering cholesterol, agents for the stomach and for intestine disorders, agents for weight loss, agents for worm infections, agents that affect the nervous system, agents that affect the liver, alcohol, antibiotics, anticancer agents, antifungals, antimalarials, antivirals, birth control agents taken by mouth, folate agents, iron salts, mineral oil, nicotine, orlistat, osteoporosis agents (for decreased bone density), phytonadione (vitamin K), retinoids, skin disorder agents, thyroid agents, vaccines, and valproic acid.

(OK, I cheated, I quoted four.)

Any vaccine that caused that many side effects would cause the anti-vax people to literally be up in arms at the FDA and CDC.
The vitamin A would be something that someone would take under the supervision of a doctor. It would not be wise to do this without that assistance which is why I said "hopefully doctors will consider this treatment". The studies show that two megadoses (and they give specific amounts) within two days are effective.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The vitamin A would be something that someone would take under the supervision of a doctor. It would not be wise to do this without that assistance which is why I said "hopefully doctors will consider this treatment". The studies show that two megadoses (and they give specific amounts) within two days are effective.
Here are some quotes from your link:

[b] "no significant reduction in mortality in children receiving vitamin A." However, vitamin A megadoses (200,000 international units (IUs) on each day for two days) lowered the number of deaths from measles in hospitalized children under the age of two years. There is insufficient evidence to draw conclusions regarding effectiveness in preventing pneumonia or other complications in children. Better quality randomized trials are needed to evaluate the efficacy of Vitamin A for treating measles in children. - See more at: http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD0014....vqZ09RRZ.dpuf

And whether under a doctor's supervision or not, side effects can happen. We hear about them constantly from the anti-vaxers. Immunizations have to be prescribed by a doctor as well. And with any OTC med, many have the temptation to think "if a little is good, a lot is better" and treat and overdose themselves, outside of the hospital.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It's scary how people will always move against their best interests, denying the entire time they are doing so.

I would definitely vaccinate against the big, should-be-wiped-out-now-but-isn't, diseases these days. They are coming back in a big way and we shouldn't close our eyes to history, we KNOW what happens. If it makes you feel better you can even space out the newer ones (Hep, HPV) or refuse them altogether, but don't mess with MMR. Scary stuff.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Here are some quotes from your link:

[b] "no significant reduction in mortality in children receiving vitamin A." However, vitamin A megadoses (200,000 international units (IUs) on each day for two days) lowered the number of deaths from measles in hospitalized children under the age of two years. There is insufficient evidence to draw conclusions regarding effectiveness in preventing pneumonia or other complications in children. Better quality randomized trials are needed to evaluate the efficacy of Vitamin A for treating measles in children. - See more at: Vitamin A for measles in children | Cochrane Summaries

And whether under a doctor's supervision or not, side effects can happen. We hear about them constantly from the anti-vaxers. Immunizations have to be prescribed by a doctor as well. And with any OTC med, many have the temptation to think "if a little is good, a lot is better" and treat and overdose themselves, outside of the hospital.
Why didn't you bold the part about megadoses for two days lowering the risk of death and hospitalization?

The decision to take vitamin A should be calculated. If you feel that complications from measles is better then complications from vitamin A then by all means, don't take the vitamin A and vice versa. It's your choice.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay, you do know that because of the widespread vaccination programs in the united states. . that your chance of knowing someone who died or had a significant issue from measles is like winning the lottery?

I know a lot of people who got the flu, and no one i personally know died from it, but I don't doubt the thousands who die from it every year. God, the story of this local flu death made me cry all the way home... especially knowing that chances are that if we were better at vaccinations, he would still be alive today.
No, actually all the people I knew that had had the measles were in the late 50s and 60's--before any vaccine. And I stand by my statement that not one person to my knowledge ever died or had encephalitis. Are those statistics from the U.S. or worldwide in places without clean water and sanitation?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Why didn't you bold the part about megadoses for two days lowering the risk of death and hospitalization?

The decision to take vitamin A should be calculated. If you feel that complications from measles is better then complications from vitamin A then by all means, don't take the vitamin A and vice versa. It's your choice.
My choice was to immunize my kids so they didn't get the measles in the first place. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

You seem to have this idea that these so-called "natural" cures have no side effects. Not so.

https://www.facebook.com/RtAVM Refutations to Anti-Vaccine Memes
Health/Wellness Website

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-23-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
My choice was to immunize my kids so they didn't get the measles in the first place. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Yes, that was your choice and I am a big fan of choice but we all know the measles vaccine is not 100% effective.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Yes, that was your choice and I am a big fan of choice but we all know the measles vaccine is not 100% effective.

As opposed to not vaccinating being 0% effective in protecting from that, or any, disease.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:48 PM

720 posts, read 705,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Eradicated in the United States by the year 2,000 Measles is on the rise. It is back baby, and it sucks.

California's measles outbreak began at Disneyland | The Verge

People who aren't vaccinated against measles should stay away from Disneyland, California health officials said this week, after an outbreak in the state was traced back to the popular theme park. As the Wall Street Journal reports, officials on Wednesday confirmed 59 cases of the disease in California, of which 42 have been linked to the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim.

and here is the anti-vac death toll (not counting flu virus of course, this is the standard round of vaccines people should have)

Centers For Disease Control Reports On Vaccine Preventable Deaths

Good job anti-vaccination people.

Saved 0
killed LOTS

and from USA TODAY

For every 1,000 children who get the measles, one or two will die from it, and one will get brain swelling so severe it can lead to convulsions and leave the child deaf or mentally impaired, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said
Why don't you place the blame where it belongs? How many illegals do you think is vaccinated when they cross over our borders and blend in with our population? Why don't you place the blame upon our do nothing Congress and President who allows Illegal immigration? And don't tell me this isn't true because my grand daughter was in the hospital for 3 days after contracting a virus the docters said was virtually unknown here in the states until all the illegals from South America poured over our border because of our noble president's invite..

Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I posted the analysis of several studies regarding vitamin A and measles. I guess you ignored it.
Vaccinations have not cured measles. I guess you missed all of the other studies I posted showing measles outbreaks in highly vaccinated populations.

[/i][/b]When are you going to wake up to the fact that you can not control other people. You only have control over yourself. You chose to vaccinate your kids (what about yourself, did you check your titers?) Vaccines are not 100% effective. Figure out how to protect yourself and your family if you happen to get the measles. Quit being a victim.
Vitamin A does NOT prevent measles. It MIGHT be of some benefit in treating measles.

Those outbreaks you linked all happened before a second dose of MMR was added to the immunization schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies