Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 AM

626 posts, read 755,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
In 40 years people are going to look back at us with the same ridicule we look back at the segregationists who championed bans on interracial marriage.
There are many that still want to see a ban on interracial marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,751,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
There are many that still want to see a ban on interracial marriage.
Luckily, the ship has long since sailed on those wanting that ban.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:20 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Just goes to show you that states rights aren't really states rights when popular opinion is not in their favor... I understand why people would be upset because it's state's rights, but personally I'm going to be the hypocrite and admit I'm glad this ruling was made... it's 2015... we don't need to be banning gay marriage.

Personally I don't understand the need to have some government signed contract to prove you love each other in the first place.... it's not like they are honored if either party gets bored and wants to leave to 'find themselves' but that's an issue for another thread.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:45 PM

614 posts, read 767,389 times
the only issue I have is with the use of the word "Marriage."
That is a word with an existing definition. If two gay folks want to enter into a binding union, then it needs it's own word. I don't care if they live together. I don't care if they have all the legal and other benefits of a married couple, just come up with your own word.

What the courts are doing is not protecting rights, they are redefining the meaning of words. That I don't like.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:46 PM

944 posts, read 1,187,560 times
Depends on how you define "marriage" - it has many meanings

mar·riage
ˈmerij/
noun
noun: marriage; plural noun: marriages
  1. 1.
    the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship.
    "a happy marriage"
    synonyms:wedding, wedding ceremony, marriage ceremony, nuptials, union "the marriage took place at St. Margaret's"

antonyms:divorce, separation

• the state of being married.
      "they were celebrating 50 years of marriage"
      synonymsholy) matrimony, wedlock "a proposal of marriage"

2. 2.
    a combination or mixture of two or more elements.
    "a marriage of jazz, pop, blues, and gospel"
    synonyms:union, alliance, fusion, mixture, mix, blend, amalgamation, combination, merger "a marriage of jazz, pop, and gospel"

antonyms:separation

• (in pinochle and other card games) a combination of a king and queen of the same suit.

Origin

Old 01-27-2015, 05:04 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
As an add-on: apparently because I believe in equal rights for all, I am going to hell...
Yes you are. Me and all the other non backwards types will see you there, bring the burgers and I'll bring the beer Whats really funny is how so many use THEIR religion as a basis to pass (or not pass) laws to allow others the "right" to marry. Kinda funny seeing as how people being FREE of other peoples religions controlling them was one of the reasons for coming to America!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
the only issue I have is with the use of the word "Marriage."

That is a word with an existing definition.
If two gay folks want to enter into a binding union, then it needs it's own word. I don't care if they live together. I don't care if they have all the legal and other benefits of a married couple, just come up with your own word.

What the courts are doing is not protecting rights, they are redefining the meaning of words. That I don't like.
The definition of civil marriage is whatever civil law says it is at any given time.

If you're arguing about a religious definition of marriage, then the point is moot - this is about civil law, not religious tenets. Beyond that, some religions do indeed define marriage is between consenting adults regardless of gender - and if you're claiming that civil law should define marriage as only those religions you happen to like define marriage, then you're a narcissist.

Further, your idea is nothing less than 'separate-but-equal, and we know from history that separate is never equal.

In today's news, the 11th Circuit has denied the appeal to indefinitely stay the ruling. Since SCOTUS has made clear they are no longer staying these rulings, same-sex marriages will begin in Alabama next Monday - unless the District Court lifts this stay before then.

Quote:
The 11th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in Atlanta has rejected the State of Alabama's request to issue a stay pending an appeal of the State's ban on gay marriage. This means gay marriages in Alabama will begin Feb. 9.
11th Circuit Court denies stay; gay marriage begins in AL Feb. 9 - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Old 02-03-2015, 11:53 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
All adults should be able to marry. We are well past the color barrier and soon homosexuals will also be. Marriage offers many legal benefits.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
The government has no business sticking its big snout into when consenting adults can get married.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
The 14th Amendment had nothing to do with gay marriage. In fact, had the men who voted for it realized that it might legitimize such a repulsive practice, it would have failed - probably by unanimous vote. Today's judges are clearly interpreting the amendment well beyond its original scope and intent. Anyone who is intellectually honest, regardless of their stance on the issue, ought to admit that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies