Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,853,126 times

Advertisements

The choice was made to enroll him in that school. I see this as a simple matter. Do as they require or find another school that doesn't stand to recite the Pledge each morning. Bucking the administrators isn't going to do any real good for the child or the family. If anything it will create unnecessary tension between the educators and the family so when a real issue arises, if it does, existing friction will make things harder. Their school, their rules. If it was a public school in the traditional sense, I could see arguing. As it is a charter school, things are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 AM

18,503 posts, read 15,318,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Never stated it was private school. Seems like some education on the subject charter schools might benefit you.

If that school is compliance with their charter then as I stated before. Dont like it? GTFO. It's that simple.
But if it is funded with tax dollars, the charter cannot legally violate the constitutional rights of the students or their parents. It is a public institution. If this was a private school, they can make you say whatever they want, as a condition of your enrollment.

But that is not the case here. This would be considered government coercion and forced allegiance to itself.

If it is in the charter that one MUST stand and recite the pledge as a condition of attendance, it will never be held up in court if challenged.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM

378 posts, read 706,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.

Here's my question: If the school wasn't writing the kids up for not standing would he have any issue standing for the pledge? Is it because of actions of the school, or because he doesn't agree with the pledge (which, as an 8th grader, why does he not agree with the pledge)?

I have a feeling if the school hadn't started the write up policy this thread wouldn't be here and it's more on the lines of defiance of authority. .

Old 01-24-2015, 11:09 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,128,173 times
I'm as patriotic as the next guy. But kids shouldn't be force fed patriotism. Better to teach kids to think for themselves. And if a kid comes to the conclusion that the pledge is like some kind of loyalty oath and decides to bow out that decision should be respected.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,797,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
But if it is funded with tax dollars, the charter cannot legally violate the constitutional rights of the students or their parents. It is a public institution. If this was a private school, they can make you say whatever they want, as a condition of your enrollment.

But that is not the case here. This would be considered government coercion and forced allegiance to itself.

If it is in the charter that one MUST stand and recite the pledge as a condition of attendance, it will never be held up in court if challenged.
Again all that is fine and well, IF the school is not violating their State of NC Charter then they have can tell the kid to stand or suffer discipline up to and including getting kicked out.

My suspicion is that the OP is not being completely truthful about the standing situation.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:16 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,587,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
You shouldn't have to do anything you don't want to do when it comes to silly things like this. I didn't stand for God Bless America during the invasion of Iraq. Maybe not wise in South Carolina.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
And your point being? I don't care what he believes or doesn't that choice is his alone.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,860,930 times
Listen to your government and do what they say without question. That can lead to trouble.
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...te/hitler1.jpg

On a serious note, if its not a religion based "false idol" issue, he should do what he's told. Entitled and kid shouldn't be in the same sentence. We are a society and we have rules for the common good. Pledging allegiance to your country, in my opinion is a good thing.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,012,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
He has the right not to stand.

However, it's disrespectful and silly.
This, exactly.
HOWEVER, he has to be willing and able to accept all the problems that his lack of respect will cause...FOR HIM!
If any.
I certainly would not have any sympathy for him if others in the school dissed him about his lack of stance on this issue!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,587,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

My suspicion is that the OP is not being completely truthful about the standing situation.

And what would I be hiding? This is what HE feels I could careless as I said before as kids we had to but times change, what worked for some kids might not work for others. Yes, he should follow the rules of the school in my honest opinion I think he might be lazy He can be a bear to get up in the morning & tends to take his time getting ready for school. At the same time he has been complaining that he doesn't like his new school.. If there is another reason I would like to know.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,817,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.
Explain to him how his principles and practices are a reflection of the values he learned from his primary influences in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies