Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:52 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,093,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.
Oh the horror!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 05:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,986,524 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why he is not wanting to do this it's possible that he could be just lazy & doesn't want to stand up in the morning. He does believe in god as far as I know we're Pagans & that's his choice to believe as he wants. Again I'm not sure why we'll have to ask him.
You mean you don't already know?

Why?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:07 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,718,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think he should stand, out of respect. However, if he chooses not to recite the pledge, that is his right. Not standing only brings unwanted attention and only shows disrespect. I don't believe in mindless patriotism, however, kids need to learn to be respectful, if nothing else.
That is how I did it as a kid. I stopped reciting the Pledge in 9th grade after reading and hearing of many instances where "liberty and justice for all" did not apply. I stood for the pledge and continued to stand and face the flag for the National Anthem.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,421,869 times
look life not fair, it will never be fair, so slap the kid in back of the head and make him stand up are move his lips, sometimes its easier just go with the flow instead of stirring up chit

Old 01-24-2015, 10:14 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,160,461 times
Quote:
So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.
What exactly is his complaint. Is it standing up or reciting the pledge. And if it's the pledge.....why does he have a problem with it.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,317,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is not a private school. A charter school is publicly funded. I believe in the pledge, and would never allow my children NOT to stand and say it. When dealing with minors, that is a parent's decision to make. Not a school's decision.

As I have already stated, forcing someone to pledge "liberty for all" is as hypocritical as it gets. As long as the parent's are fine with it, you can't take away their liberty to raise their children as they see fit.
Good to see you are fostering your children to think for themselves .

Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 PM

The school can't legally force him to stand for it. If they continue pushing the issue instruct them to look up the legal precedents on the matter. Personally I think the pledge is one of the dumbest things out there.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I agree with you 100%.

We were at a car race last year.......during the playing of the National Anthem a man leaned over me and took a hat off the head of a young man and handed it to him.

I would not have done that......but , I was glad he did.

Later in the evening he told us his dad was killed in WWII.

Tbh he is lucky he wasn't cracked in the jaw for that. Not to many parents appreciate random people trying to teach their children lessons.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Tbh he is lucky he wasn't cracked in the jaw for that. Not to many parents appreciate random people trying to teach their children lessons.
I thought it took a village?

Or maybe Hillary was just chock full of ****, along with her fans.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,318,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Good to see you are fostering your children to think for themselves .
My 8 year old thinks he is old enough to drive my car. If I indulged my 11 year old's every thought, she would eat skittles for lunch every day. They are children. They haven't lived long enough to "think for themselves". It is a parent's job to guide them the way they see fit. I won't tell you how to raise your kids, and I would appreciate you not giving me unsolicited parenting advice for mine. I don't want their school raising them any more than I want you raising them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies