Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,946,599 times

Advertisements

I think it'll be funny when the teacher ask everyone to stand for the pledge and like half the class is kicked back with their feet up saying "I aint got time for that BS".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 AM

28,937 posts, read 30,297,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.
he should be doing what the rest of the kids are doing, and has to learn there are different rules in different places supervised by adults.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,878,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Be a good parent and be proud of America...
Demonstrate this through personal action showing respect for our country

We are fortunate to be Americans

Tell him why... tell him to participate... that is his right ..

This is a no brainer...
And be a reluctant participle?

Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,878,418 times
Why not just pledge allegiance to the Constitution?

Never mind.

You'd have to read it and understand it first.

Easier to just pledge to bright colors and stars and stuff.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 PM

46,975 posts, read 26,026,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
he should be doing what the rest of the kids are doing, and has to learn there are different rules in different places supervised by adults.
Conform and obey while praising your liberty? You can't see how messed up that is?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm legally allowed to live, attend school, and work here. Beyond that, my specific status is none of your business.
Then your opinion on this matter means nothing. Your just a visitor in our house.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes, because the only test of citizenship is standing for the pledge like the founding fathers did, right? Oh...wait...that's right...THEY DIDN'T . Guess they aren't tr00 Americans either are they?

If you are not a US citizen then your vote doesn't count which means your opinion on this internal matter doesn't count either.

In an abstract conversation relative to pleadging fealty loyalty yes but with regards to the relevance of our country no.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:03 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So my step son goes to a charter school he has most of his life. This year he is in the 8th grade.
lately he has been complaining that he has to stand up during the pledge of allegiance. We all had to do this as kids ourselves & times have changed for better of worse. Should children have to stand for the pledge if they don't want to? The school is writing kids up if they don't stand & take part in it.
This is not about religion not as far as we are concerned. Yes, there are times in his life that he is going to have to do things he doesn't agree with. Is the school forcing children him & taking away his rights or should he suck it up & deal with it? This could be put under the same as prayer in school if you wanted to take it that way. I'm surprised that this is happening here in Asheville, NC considering how liberal it is here. Granted it's still the bible belt. He asked his mom if he should fight it or just go along with it. She said it was up to him & how far he is willing to take it.
It's a matter of respect for the flag, and for our country. Yes he should stand up. "I pledge allegiance to the flag, and to the Republic for which it stands." It's citizenship, and it is patriotism. I would have a problem with anyone who does not love their country enough to respect the flag, and stand while reciting the pledge. (I know ... Jehovah's Witnesses don't, but that's a topic for another thread.)

Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's a matter of respect for the flag, and for our country. Yes he should stand up. "I pledge allegiance to the flag, and to the Republic for which it stands." It's citizenship, and it is patriotism. I would have a problem with anyone who does not love their country enough to respect the flag, and stand while reciting the pledge. (I know ... Jehovah's Witnesses don't, but that's a topic for another thread.)
You obviously do not understand the ideas the country was founded under. I love this country enough to support his right to not stand even if I disagree with him.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I take part in the Ritual of the Pledge because not doing so would cause me more trouble than it is worth. Conforming over this is simply easier.

Republic? You have got to be kidding. Our Corporatocracy is a Republic? Really?

One Nation? Oklahoma and California one nation? Since when?

Under God? We got a lot of choices. Which one?

Liberty and Justice for All. What country are you talking about? Not this one now and not ever.

Seems like the kid has developed a properly cynical attitude early enough to keep from expecting too much from his country but amused disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies