Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,851,841 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming this to be a response to Israel's bombing couple of weeks ago.

The whole region runs on, an eye for an eye..., the mantra of many Americans too. So, why sit and whine about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:34 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
And without missing a step, the UN calls an emergency session.

UNSC Calls Emergency Meeting Over Lebanon - Global Agenda - News - Arutz Sheva

Can't wait to hear their new resolution this time. Israel has a special place in their hearts.

Quote:
BEIRUT, Jan 28 (KUNA) -- The UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) on Wednesday expressed profound concern over the escalating cross-border hostilities between the Lebanese Hezbollah group and the Israeli troops (IDF) along the Blue Line.
"At around 11:30 am this morning, UNIFIL observed six rockets launched towards Israel from the vicinity of Wazzani north of Maysat in the UNIFIL area of operations. The IDF returned artillery fire in the same general area," UNIFIL said in a press release. "During the course of the developments, a UNIFIL peacekeeper deployed at a UN position near Ghajar sustained serious injuries that resulted in his death. "The precise cause of death is as yet undetermined and remains the subject of investigation," the statement pointed out. UNIFIL Head of Mission and Force Commander Major-General Luciano Portolano was in immediate contact with the parties to help control the situation and prevent further escalation. In the meantime, at around 1:30 pm five rockets were fired from the general area of Kafer Shouba towards Israel. The IDF fired artillery rounds towards the source of fire. UNIFIL has been informed by the IDF that they incurred casualties as a result of fire from the Lebanese side. UNIFIL has further reinforced its presence on the ground and intensified patrols across the area of operations in coordination with the Lebanese Armed Forces. At this time the situation along the Blue Line is quiet, according to the statement. Major-General Portolano has strongly condemned this serious violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701. He is maintaining continuous contacts with the parties and has urged both sides to exercise utmost restraint. UNIFIL has launched an investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the incident, it added.
http://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetail...18&Language=en

Last edited by Pruzhany; 01-28-2015 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 PM

17,465 posts, read 9,293,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The question here is, what the hell was an Iranian general doing on the Golan Heights?
As with all things in the Middle East .... it's 'complicated', but here is the Cliff Notes version.

Hezbollah is mostly run by Iran. Iran put them in place, much of the Leadership of Hezbollah is from Iran, the Hezbollah Shura Council has Iranian Qud's Force members and most of the Strategy comes from Iran. Iran financed all of Hezbollah in the beginning, but now much of it's funding comes from the Drug trade they operate out of South/Central America + donations from Shiite Lebanese Diaspora and "Aid" money from around the world. The USA is a big donor. Iran still provides Millions in support each year. Lebanon is a bit unique in it's demographics and system of Government. Basically it is divided into thirds. One third Christians (used to be one Half), One third Sunni (mostly moderate) and One third Shiite (Hezbollah). The Christian third historically allies with either the Sunni or the Shiite and now are divided between them ..... it's a volatile situation and has been for many decades and 3 long Civil Wars. IF Hezbollah starts another WAR with Israel from Lebanon .... they will lose all popularity, even with most of the Shia. They are teetering as it with the WAR in Syria. They are between a Rock & a Hard Spot.

The Iranians are pretty much in charge of much of the Pro-Bashar al-Assad forces that have been fighting in Syria - Hezbollah, the Iranian Guard and the Basili make up much of the forces with Lebanese Hezbollah taking a lot of losses. The plan appears to be to open a new front against Israel from the Syrian border into the Golan Heights .... Hezbollah can't afford another WAR with Israel that is based from Lebanon, so they must use the Golan. IF Hezbollah drags Lebanon into another WAR with Israel from Lebanon, they break the UN Security Council Agreements and will get almost ZERO support from the Lebanese. Without Lebanese support - the Shiites that dominate the Southern Border with Israel have no where to go and no shelter from an Israel bombardment.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,524,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

Can't wait to hear their new resolution this time. Israel has a special place in their hearts.

KUNA : UNIFIL denounces "serious violation" of UNSC resolution 1701 - Security - 29/01/2015
exactly

if the UN had an emergency meeting every time a terrorist act was committed, they'd be operating 24x7 and would be up to resolution 12,009,776,000,736

Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

KUNA : UNIFIL denounces "serious violation" of UNSC resolution 1701 - Security - 29/01/2015
I still have to do some checking - but I'm thinking this is pretty much over now. Nasrallah desperately needs a "Victory" to talk about in his speech Friday. He is banking on claiming another one of his "Divine Victories" and counting on the Israelis to let it end at this one Missile Attack.

I check around and see what's going on. We are talking two "Red Lines". Nasrallah gambled & I'm not sure he had much choice. The Hezbollah supporters fully expected him to do something, he is losing a lot of support. The Resistance has become a laughing stock in Lebanon and much of the Mid-East because of his Sectarian War against the Sunni in Syria on al-Assad's behalf ..... which he also has no choice about.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 PM

461 posts, read 556,775 times
Today was a retaliation for an Israeli attack on Hizballah last week.

As usual, the Zionists begin the story when Israel gets struck, not when the conflict actually begins.

Furthermore, Israel has violated Syria's sovereignty and struck it several times last year. Israel violates Lebanese air space on a daily basis. But let's just ignore the facts, huh?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,097,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everything doesn't have to be complicated although yes..it's complex.

For one, I've said nothing about Israel occupying anyone, so you're arguing that point with the wrong person. I don't care one bit about what the Israelis and Palestinians do to each other. My stance has always been simple...the United States has no business being involved with any of it. They can wack each other for the next thousand years for all I care. I only care about one country; the United States of America.

Moreover, I'm not a proponent of Iran getting a nuke, I just don't know why I should be against it seeing as how an Iranian nuke poses no threat to this country.

Whatever the reason they want a nuke or modern day nuclear technology is of no concern to me. I can see why other nations may be skittish, but that's between them and Iran as far as I'm concerned.
It's been explained to you ad nauseam why Iran poses a threat to the United States, review previous threads.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,097,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post

As usual, the Zionists begin the story when Israel gets struck, not when the conflict actually begins.

Furthermore, Israel has violated Syria's sovereignty and struck it several times last year. Israel violates Lebanese air space on a daily basis. But let's just ignore the facts, huh?
Let's just ignore that Syria has rejected peace and is currently considered in a state of war with Israel.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 PM

461 posts, read 556,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Let's just ignore that Syria has rejected peace and is currently considered in a state of war with Israel.
Will that be your excuse if Syria launches an attack on Israel? Since Syria is in a state of war with Israel, did you just concede an attack on Israel from Syria is legitimate?

Syria is a sovereign nation that can reject peace with whoever they want, especially when their territory is currently under Israeli occupation that not one country on this planet recognizes as legitimate. Violating their sovereignty is not OK.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post

The Saudi owned Asharq Al-Awsat (definitely NOT an Israel supporter) disagrees with your assessment.

Hezbollah claims responsibility for attack on Israeli convoy | Al-Awsat 1/28/15

According to them - Hezbollah fired first on Israel last week, Hezbollah fired first on Israel this week and Israel responded to Hezbollah's opening attacks both times. Hassan Nasrallah threatened retribution for the deaths of his Hezbollah fighters and the Iranians ...... he is known for starting these fights.

Big speech by Nasrallah on Friday ..... you don't want to miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies