Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
You're right, they pose no direct threat for the foreseeable future but that isn't the argument; the argument is that Iran is an exporter of terrorism, or in other words: while I can trust the Iranian government to not use the weapons themselves, the weapons could possibly be exported to 'governments' or terrorist groups much less friendly to the U.S. and Israel. Now of course Iran isn't going to fire the weapon the self, but as seen with what is going on in Syria, Lebanon, and even Gaza, they could give those 'governments' weapons. At the point where a terrorist government acquires a nuclear weapon it's free of international law and thus we, the U.S. and the Wesrern World, are in danger.

You and I have had a debate in the past, if I remember correctly you're an isolationist in regards to the U.S. military while I do believe in intervention and I also believe the U.S. has a part in world affairs aka policing. I use to say "Iran can have a nuclear weapon and it would be fine," but with Iran and Israel fighting a proxy-war, which is truly a U.S.-Iran proxy war, I don't want to take any chances of them possibly exporting that sort of technology to the wrong people. Hell, I'm already skeptical of Pakistan having the bomb, and I believe that if a form of radical Islam ever truly bubbled up there, then I'd support a SHORT campaign inside, and my beliefs are exactly why I don't think we should name Pakistan an "ally" but simply put: a partner.
You guys act as if setting off a nuke is as simple as setting off a hand grenade. Come on...stop it.

As hard as Iran has to work to get a nuke in the first place, why in the hell would they just turn it over to a bunch of yahoos? They aren't stupid. Nuclear technology is coveted and hard won. No nation is just gonna say "well here you go hayseeds...have at it." That narrative is seriously flawed, lacks reason, and is unrealistic. People that fight hard to get something don't just give it away.

And them giving it to Syria, Lebanon or Gaza is simply fantastic...the Iranians aren't enamored enough of the Arabs to do anything of the sort. Besides, it would be the same as the Iranians using it if any of those groups used it because it would be traced back to the Iranians in a nanosecond.

Again, i'm not a proponent of an nuclear Iran, but i'm no opponent either. I have no reason to be as long as they don't threaten this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:26 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You're quoting the Jan 18th attack. (fyi) Read inside the story for the correct date and not the sites posting date.
\
Yes the Jan 18th attack, the article did not indicate it was within the Golan Heights

Old 01-29-2015, 11:58 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You guys act as if setting off a nuke is as simple as setting off a hand grenade. Come on...stop it.

As hard as Iran has to work to get a nuke in the first place, why in the hell would they just turn it over to a bunch of yahoos? They aren't stupid. Nuclear technology is coveted and hard won. No nation is just gonna say "well here you go hayseeds...have at it." That narrative is seriously flawed, lacks reason, and is unrealistic. People that fight hard to get something don't just give it away.

And them giving it to Syria, Lebanon or Gaza is simply fantastic...the Iranians aren't enamored enough of the Arabs to do anything of the sort. Besides, it would be the same as the Iranians using it if any of those groups used it because it would be traced back to the Iranians in a nanosecond.

Again, i'm not a proponent of an nuclear Iran, but i'm no opponent either. I have no reason to be as long as they don't threaten this country.
This is exactly what happened. [Ad Nasuem] Iran signed the NPT and received equipment and technology from Russia and China. It was handed to them with the know-how from other nuclear threshold states. The flaw is that Iran violated the NPT and is pulling off a North Korea.

Being a patsy to Iranian terrorism is not supporting American interests as you praise.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
As I suspected - Hezbollah has no interest (or at least no capability) of WAR with Israel. They have sent a message to Israel thru the UN to say "don't hurt us, we are done for the moment". Nasrallah will give a big "Divine Victory" speech tomorrow ..... and probably issue more "promises" of Death to Israel.

Hezbollah conveys to Israel it does not want escalation
United Nations delivers message to Israeli leaders; officials on both sides of border announce return to routine

As I said before - Hezbollah is fighting in Syria and can't handle two fronts. Add to that - if he incites another WAR in the South of Lebanon on the Lebanon/Israel border .... there are now very limited options for the Shiite/Hezbollah supporters & families who live there. They have burned their bridges in Lebanon and won't be welcomed in the North for Sanctuary.

The on-going plans for the future are for Iran/Syria/Hezbollah to establish a new front against Israel in the Golan Heights to try and insulate Lebanon, which will NOT accept another Hezbollah War on it's territory.
Maybe Israel should hit Assad to send Iran a message?

Old 01-29-2015, 01:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Why in the world would Iran give up nuclear weapons after the recent Ukraine example? Ukraine had nukes, and gave them up for a promise that its borders would be respected, something signed by the US...and Russia both.

Hows that worked out? Putins screwed the world.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes the Jan 18th attack, the article did not indicate it was within the Golan Heights
Per the link you supplied:

Quote:
Iranian Revolutionary Guard General Mohammed Allahdadi was killed with a Hezbollah commander and the son of the group's late military leader, Imad Moughniyeh, in a Jan. 18 attack on a Hezbollah convoy near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Hezbollah has starting firing into Israel from Lebanon and even took time to send the first photos of it so they could claim it. First death is a UN Peace Keeper.

Casualties as Hezbollah Attacks IDF Positions - Inside Israel - News - Arutz Sheva

And after Israel responds, Hezbollah asks UNIFIL to tell Israel that it is asking for a cessation of fire.

So what do you think will happen from here forward?
Stupid, brain-dead Arabs.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:27 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Stupid, brain-dead Arabs.
Hamas did the same thing. Took a few days, realigned their launchers and started firing extremely more rockets. One has to wonder if Hezbollah will follow a similar path.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
This is exactly what happened. [Ad Nasuem] Iran signed the NPT and received equipment and technology from Russia and China. It was handed to them with the know-how from other nuclear threshold states. The flaw is that Iran violated the NPT and is pulling off a North Korea.

Being a patsy to Iranian terrorism is not supporting American interests as you praise.
There are many in the USA that support Iran over the USA National interests. Same for those that support the Butcher of Damascus ...... they have their own Ideology and you can't 'change' them.

The real surprise is that there are so many. Dangerous Times we live in.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

You guys? I've never made it seem to be an easy step, what I have done is say the nuclear weapons can be exported to other countries.

And of course they aren't going to turn it over to a bunch of "yahoos" eg ISIS, but more so "governments" like the Syrian government. We know of the Samson Option for Israel, imagine if Assad had a missile of that degree and felt his government was going down.. Yeah, I don't want to imagine it either, but then again: if his government did fall and those weapons fell to ISIS, which btw I assume will take over Syria if the government does fail there, then things can get nasty. Hell, even the U.S. shares nuclear weapons with allies; why wouldn't Iran ESPECIALLY if you can have the nuclear weapon closer to "Little Satan"? It only makes sense in reality.

Like I said before, I use to say Iran could have a nuclear weapon, but with the Middle East the way it is... No, and it's not because I can't trust Iran with the bomb, but because with what's going on there, I can see some nations lines bring changed in the foreseeable future and the question would be: who gets the bomb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies