Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yet higher taxes played a role in Texas dodging at least one pitfall. Imagine how many of these distinctions Texas wouldn't have if it wasn't so greed-centric.
  • One of the worst five states in terms of percentage of population living in poverty.
  • One of the worst ten states in terms of health of the elderly.
  • Two of the five least literate cities in the nation.
Grow up.

None of those have anything to do with greed. But I'm sure you know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some local economies began to boom as the housing bubble burst and new technology made it possible to access huge oil reserves. This brought an influx of people and the need for increased infrastructure and jobs. Texas and North Dakota were the primariy beneficiaries of this cycle.

Texas, no stranger to boom/ bust cycles has historically trended conservative as it relates to home equity loans. Prior to the late 90's such loans were not possible in Texas. The law was changed and limited the loan amount to 80% LTV specifically to prevent over extention of credit and to protect the state economy during economic downturns. i strongly favor the law. Having said this I appreciate it is an instance of government impeding the free market.

I don't know why anyone would become giddy at the prospect of any state being at a higher risk for a recession. My sense of Texas is that the economy is substantially more diverse than oil, no?

I don't however make light of those whose ongoing employment is directly or indirectly tied to high oil prices. No doubt for some, it's a depression.
Yeah, oil is only 10% of the GDP.

I know a few in the oil industry that have been layed off.
They didn't work on the rigs though...white collar travel type jobs.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Yet higher taxes played a role in Texas dodging at least one pitfall. Imagine how many of these distinctions Texas wouldn't have if it wasn't so greed-centric.
  • One of the worst five states in terms of percentage of population living in poverty.
  • One of the worst ten states in terms of health of the elderly.
  • Two of the five least literate cities in the nation.
It has nothing to do with greed.

Demographics is the reason why.

Young, poor Hispanics that speak little English and have low levels of education and have large families.
That about sums it up in a nutshell.
That's what makes up the majority of the poor in Texas.

If anything Texas, along with California is a harbinger of the future of the US as more Hispanics come here and migrate further north.

State and County Databases | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project

Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No what I was ...
Well we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

Quote:
And that.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:

Demographics is the reason why.

Young, poor Hispanics that speak little English and have low levels of education and have large families.
That about sums it up in a nutshell.
That's what makes up the majority of the poor in Texas.

If anything Texas, along with California is a harbinger of the future of the US as more Hispanics come here and migrate further north.

State and County Databases | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project
Yes, that's true. When you travel out of the confines of a Texas city to the border, you would see poverty beyond belief. Not to say that the other regions of Texas don't have poverty, but the border is extreme. Poverty is a cottage industry in those parts and the major cities.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Well we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

And that.
Agree to disagree about an opinion ?
It was my opinion and I further clarified it for you who took it the wrong way.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
That's an old link (not to mention a random, unknown source.) Let's try a newer one that uses Census data. California has the highest poverty rate in the country according to this article from 2 months ago.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Reagan/California-Census-Bureau-
Supplemental poverty measure =/= official one.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
It's likely due to the downturn in gas prices. There's not much the state can do about that.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM

37,973 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
For several years now, wingnuts on this site have been pointing to Texas as an example of the success of GOP policies while pointing to Blue states as examples of economic "failure". Well, it now appears - thanks to low oil prices - that mighty Texas may be headed for recession like it had in the 80's (the rest of the country - probably not so much (since Texas is so much dependent upon oil)). And - just to placate those wingnuts who claim this is all left-wing spin, I'll using use a RIGHT-WING source (ie NEWSMAX):

"...Economists are not alone in fearing a repeat of the recession of the 1980s.

“I wish I could paint a rosy picture, but I’m a realist. This is my fourth downturn. Everything’s going to get pretty ugly. It’ll take a couple of years for this to work itself out and get back on track," Larry Oldham, who owns a Midland, Texas, oil company, tells the Houston Chronicle.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Texas Fears Oil Price Drop Could Lead to '80s-era Recession
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!..."

Texas Fears Oil Price Drop Could Lead to '80s-era Recession

Now, my point here is NOT to "gloat" over the economic troubles that Texas is about to experience, nor is it to say that GOP policies in Texas led to the recession. My point is that much of the success of Texas has had LITTLE to do with it being a RED state and a LOT to do with the natural resources the state happens to be sitting on. Dependence on those natural resources - notable OIL - led to the economic boom in Texas and to it's economic decline during DOWN TIMES. It ain't so much POLITICS that's driven Texas success and failure as it is an ACCIDENT OF GEOLOGY.

Ken
So you suddenly care about the profits of big oil now?

Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
It's a great lesson for Texans and others....when times are good, be making preparations for the bad. The beauty of the US ecoomy is that when oil is up, certain areas benefit and when it's down, other areas benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies