Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
How is it that people still think like this?

First, you assume that black people only help other black people and white people only help other white people.

Second, even if this were true, it would mean that black people can always afford to give as much as white people.

Third, the fact that there are wealthy black athletes somehow means we're living in a just society where everyone has equal opportunity.

Four, people on this board are so anxious to believe that society is perfect and anyone who complains is irrational that they won't care about these fallacies and flaws and actually think what you're saying makes sense.

Five, not donating money to the cause doesn't mean you can't make a sound point about what this means. I mean, duh.
I'd say it's the other way around. People like yourself and the OP are so anxious to paint everything as a big racist conspiracy, that you'll take a story like this where the parents of the two victims have become friends during this tragedy, with the White parents going out of their way to mention that people should also donate to the Black victim's reward fund and turn it into a racial injustice issue.

What you focus on, you will become. If you spend all your time telling yourself that the system is out to get you, that you can't succeed because of your skin color, etc. then you won't. 50 years of that message has been pounded into the heads of Blacks and it's become a self fulfilling prophecy. That's why people much Blacker than Blacks from our country can come here, not speaking the language, not understanding our currency, our banking system, with no understanding of how to open a business, no family, no support system and leap frog American Blacks in just a few short years, because the story they tell themselves is that they have every opportunity in the world, so they do.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I mentioned the factors of race AND CLASS....so looks like reading a bit more carefully can solve some of your issues.

This is similar to the national medias propensity to highlight missing white women, as opposed to missing black women. I think the media is trying to step up a little in that regard, because 10 years ago the difference was egregious.

People get ticked off when stuff like this is exposed. But it is reality, due to race and class, blacks are highly disadvantaged in this society.
Doesn't tick me off in the least. Makes me sad to know that people like you choose to hammer the messages that Black people can't do it, that's Whites are privileged, that everything is set up against them so don't even try, etc. It's the same message the Klan sends to Blacks. There's money and power to be gained from keeping your own people down though, so keep it up, I'm sure you personally will gain from it.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
I don't always agree with Indentured Servant, but he is absolutely right here.

All of these comments about black people seeing themselves as victims and not taking responsibility for the criminal lifestyles that infect their communities - they're irrelevant. There are many black people, if not most, who are doing things the right way. Some of them might live in communities where higher than average criminal activity is present. The young lady who was murdered appeared that she was one of the good ones.

But people too often from their sheltered communities feel outrage when one of their own is murdered, but don't value the equally important stories of "faceless Detroiters" who sometimes are actually victims. It's horrible when anybody is murdered, and maybe we should really respect that.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus64 View Post
You're going to get a wide range of opinionated answers for this. I believe this happens all the time. Racism isn't extinct, if anything it's slightly undercover. A lot of things are 'meant' for whites( like skin-toned bandaids) and most whites see nothing wrong with it because they are used to it. Whites, in my opinion, are definately privileged.
If you choose to think of yourself and underprivileged, then you are. You win, enjoy.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I don't always agree with Indentured Servant, but he is absolutely right here.

All of these comments about black people seeing themselves as victims and not taking responsibility for the criminal lifestyles that infect their communities - they're irrelevant. There are many black people, if not most, who are doing things the right way. Some of them might live in communities where higher than average criminal activity is present. The young lady who was murdered appeared that she was one of the good ones.

But people too often from their sheltered communities feel outrage when one of their own is murdered, but don't value the equally important stories of "faceless Detroiters" who sometimes are actually victims. It's horrible when anybody is murdered, and maybe we should really respect that.
She was "one of the good ones"?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Wow-- you're really not getting it at all.

It doesn't matter if the donations are anonymous. The point is that the people who are donating the money are choosing the white girl over the black girl.

Is there some rule that says white people aren't allowed to help black girls?

The reason you can't seem to understand that white people are actually capable of helping BOTH girls says a lot about your obliviousness to your own racism.

If someone (who is white, black, red, yellow, brown, orange, green, purple, etc.) is NOT racist, they would have equal amounts of empathy for BOTH girls, and their donations would reflect that. That's the whole point of this thread.

Perhaps that the reason you consider 'duh' to be the smartest thing I've ever said is related to the fact that everything else is too difficult for you to process?
"says a lot about your obliviousness to your own racism."

You know absolutely NOTHING about me.

It is YOU who constantly posts about perceived racism.

Your own name depicts racism.

If you want to go around with that chip on your shoulder, go ahead. It won't make damn to me but, it WILL continue to make you miserable.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
[quote=Indentured Servant;38248744]Two females murdered, two days apart, both murders made local news, neither killer has been caught. The reward to find the white females killer is 150,000, from anonymous donors, while the reward to find the black females killer is 2,500.

This is an example of the disadvantage of being black, from the double blow of both race and class.

It more a statement about friends and community really they belonged to. No shortage of money to go beyond what both got in donations. Does OP send flowers to strangers funerals?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:23 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,753 times
Lol, anonymous donors means white people are willing to pony up money when one of their own is killed and black people aren't. What's so complicated about that?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
This is about Green$$$, not Black or White. If Black Americans were their own country, where they pooled their money and resources, they'd be the 7th wealthiest nation on earth. There's no shortage of money among black Americans so why doesn't some wealthy Black person just put up 150k anonymously as well?
Here is the rub. If black people decide that what we need is a United Negro Reward Fund you magnificent fellows (MF's) would then be arguing about why can and should blacks be allowed to have special funds for blacks and whites not be allowed to have special funds for whites...calling it a double standard. With you MF's....there is just no satisfying you.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:02 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Two females murdered, two days apart, both murders made local news, neither killer has been caught. The reward to find the white females killer is 150,000, from anonymous donors, while the reward to find the black females killer is 2,500.

This is an example of the disadvantage of being black, from the double blow of both race and class.

Reward increased in Grosse Pointe teen's shooting death
I wouldn't go that far, maybe the white girls family has some wealthy friends who put up large sums of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies