Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It does not have to be.....IT IS BUILT IN FROM THE PAST. The consequences of past racism has been socioeconomic racial inequality. The continued socioeconomic racial inequality, in turn, leaves blacks more vulnerable and more disadvantaged today. If you have not healed....you do not need people to continue to beat you. Because I am not being actively beaten does not mean that I am not suffering from a beating.

That having been said, racism is not about "Hate". Hating a race is the extreme manifestation of racism. Base racism is about ideas concerning racial inferiority and superiority......meaning ideas that some races are innately smarter, more hard working and responsible....less violent than other races.
Will you please stop this ridiculous regurgitation of academic nonsense.

Go to school, stay out of trouble and don't have any children that you cannot afford and you'll be fine.

This is from one black man to another.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:04 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
I appreciate your honesty. Now the question is this. Why don't blacks value black lives like whites value white lives? Why do not whites see themselves as victims? What is the root cause for the differences...or are you content looking at things superficially?
That's a legitimate and interesting question. I thought about it for a while. I am sure there are many reasons and it's a complex issue but my initial reaction is that there are two principal factors at work. My comments are certainly on a broad scale and there will be many individual exceptions to my comments.

The first is that there's sort of a group consciousness at work within the black community which has been fostered by individuals and groups that profit from it. Every single thing, every single issue is viewed through the lens of blackness. The individual is subordinated to the group. The result of a group mentality is that the individual becomes less important, sometimes way less important. I think that's a major factor in this.

Secondly, really acknowledging the value of individuals means that if there's a problem you have to do something about it, you have to take individual responsibility for fixing the problem, not just scream for someone else to fix it or scream that someone needs to compensate you because there's a problem. There is a huge reluctance within the community to go that route and it's truly unfortunate that when individuals, even prominent individuals indicate that's the way to go they are almost universally condemned for their efforts.

The truth is that if you're in the hog wallow it doesn't make any difference of there are a bunch of others in there with you, or even how you got there, the important thing is getting yourself out. Blaming your situation on what has occurred in that past is just a recipe for staying in the wallow.

Socioeconomic inequality if a fact of life. Some people are more talented, some people work harder, some people are luckier, some people are more resistant to impulse, etc. ad infinitum. Trying to blame it on others means you stay in the wallow.

Unfortunately, many others, including some whites, are being led into the same trap by the same kinds of individuals and groups that profit from them living in the wallow and who do everything in their power to make sure they stay there.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
I mentioned the factors of race AND CLASS....so looks like reading a bit more carefully can solve some of your issues.

This is similar to the national medias propensity to highlight missing white women, as opposed to missing black women. I think the media is trying to step up a little in that regard, because 10 years ago the difference was egregious.

People get ticked off when stuff like this is exposed. But it is reality, due to race and class, blacks are highly disadvantaged in this society.
Because there aren't enough black who care to care. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the killer of each was black.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:11 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
That is a fair point, but with black poverty rates being 3 times that of whites, and the greater probability of homicide victims being poor....and black.....its a built in disadvantage for blacks in regards to coming up with money for rewards.

It's like in advertising. Whites are the largest demographic in the nation and whites per capita income is much higher than blacks. Thus, on TV, the Radio and in the press, advertisers will cater to the interest of whites because that is where the money is. That is why band-Aids skin tone is for whites. Whites are catered to as a demographic because they have the most money.
They are the majority of the population, so it makes sense to cater to whites, blacks also benefit by it.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:18 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
What have you said that is a deviation or debunking of anything I have said? Why do you assume some "outrage"? Is every post made on this forum the product of "outrage"? I respect the Jewish struggles, but it is not the same as the black struggle. If it were...Jews would be where we are or we would be where Jews are today.
I doubt that very much!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Here is the rub. If black people decide that what we need is a United Negro Reward Fund you magnificent fellows (MF's) would then be arguing about why can and should blacks be allowed to have special funds for blacks and whites not be allowed to have special funds for whites...calling it a double standard. With you MF's....there is just no satisfying you.
So anyway: how much money have you coughed up for this black girl's reward fund?

Old 01-31-2015, 12:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"This is an example of the disadvantage of being black, from the double blow of both race and class."

What an absolutely stupid comment.

"anonymous donors" means white people CARE. Blacks aren't willing to give much because they DON'T CARE. Did you ever think of that? i doubt it.

Your own racism has you so blinded you can't see the forest for he trees.

Maybe the blacks should have called one of the multimillionaire pro athletes. You DO know that many of them are very generous and do great work for the community.

How much did you give? Put up or shut up.
So a white donor can't donate the black victim and a black donor can't donate to the white victim?

Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Two females murdered, two days apart, both murders made local news, neither killer has been caught. The reward to find the white females killer is 150,000, from anonymous donors, while the reward to find the black females killer is 2,500.

This is an example of the disadvantage of being black, from the double blow of both race and class.

Reward increased in Grosse Pointe teen's shooting death
All lives matter, but I think bolded is the key here.

These anonymous donors might be somebody who know this girl personally. They made a personal choice and decision to help.

For example, I donate regularly to wounded warrior project. In addition to that, my money also goes to Semper Fi fund, this doesn't mean I think Marines lives matter more than the soldiers, I am closer to the Marines, so I made the personal choice to support them.

I think your story has nothing to do with race, in my humble opinion.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:24 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
That's a legitimate and interesting question. I thought about it for a while. I am sure there are many reasons and it's a complex issue but my initial reaction is that there are two principal factors at work. My comments are certainly on a broad scale and there will be many individual exceptions to my comments.
Yes...thinking about things and not just knee jerk reacting is a positive.

Quote:
The first is that there's sort of a group consciousness at work within the black community which has been fostered by individuals and groups that profit from it. Every single thing, every single issue is viewed through the lens of blackness. The individual is subordinated to the group. The result of a group mentality is that the individual becomes less important, sometimes way less important. I think that's a major factor in this.
Interesting. Doctors profit from sickness. Police profit from crime. Lawyers and judges profit from all sorts of social and legal issues/problems. Defense contractors profit from war. Is not "profit" the means in which and by which things happen in a capitalistic construct like ours? Don't civil rights leaders also need to pay their bills? Everything in our construct requires money and hence there has to be some sort of revenue stream to get anything done.....so why condemn people with revenue streams because they struggle for equality?

That having been said. Again I am scratching my head. I am not seeing why whites would not have the same propensity, as humans like us, for group thinking and people fostering group thinking for profit. I mean, whites seek profit too....do they not? Capitalism is a western construct and nearly everything in America is done for income and or profit. Thus, what inspired or triggered this black profiting and group thinking among black humans but not among white humans living in the same nation? I mean.....if the flu virus is spreading, both whites and blacks are exposed to it because we live in the same nation. Thus, I cannot see how something would trigger black group thinking and profiting and not infect whites as well. Can you explain why blacks are infected with this and not whites? Did whites get some kind of vaccination that prevents group thinking and profiting? I am still not getting from you the origins of different behaviors from blacks and whites.

Quote:
Secondly, really acknowledging the value of individuals means that if there's a problem you have to do something about it, you have to take individual responsibility for fixing the problem, not just scream for someone else to fix it or scream that someone needs to compensate you because there's a problem. There is a huge reluctance within the community to go that route and it's truly unfortunate that when individuals, even prominent individuals indicate that's the way to go they are almost universally condemned for their efforts. Did whites take some kind vaccination to prevent group thinking and profiting?
What if you do not have the resources to fix it without help? As the majority population, whose per capita income is much higher than blacks, whites can shapes laws and direct tax dollars in a way to fix things that you feel are problems locally, in states and nationally. Blacks can only direct local tax dollars and policies and those majority black areas were that can be done are usually impoverished. So I do not really agree with this ideal that whites live off the power of individualism. You use your power as the majority to shape laws and direct tax dollars in a way that is conducive for your aspirations. Blacks have that power in say.....the City of Detroit.....but the rate of poverty is so high there is barely enough money and revenue to provide basic services, let alone spend on social engineering.

Quote:
The truth is that if you're in the hog wallow it doesn't make any difference of there are a bunch of others in there with you, or even how you got there, the important thing is getting yourself out.
Keep in mind that America is 18 trillion dollars in debt and has really been in decline, economically, since the 70's. It was much easier to pull yourself up by the bootstraps when America was at its economic zenith....but when it was at that zenith it was still an extremely racist society that did not allow equal opportunity or even civil rights for blacks. Now that the nation is in the midst of diminishing returns, and falling median levels of income.....blacks are supposed to defy gravity and go against the grain of NATIONAL DECLINE and pick themselves up now that the nation pats itself on the back for being less racist after 400 years?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:46 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
They are the majority of the population, so it makes sense to cater to whites, blacks also benefit by it.
SO by catering to whites needs and aspirations....blacks benefits equally even if our needs and aspirations are different in degree or kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies