Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 PM

685 posts, read 720,818 times

Advertisements

There is another thread (recently closed) out there for a bakery in CO who denied to make a cake for a gay couple. This, however, is from Oregon. I don't think posing a question is even necessary. My only statement is it's a for profit organization and it's not religious non-profit. They have to abide by the law or take it further up the legal court food chain.

Oregon: Anti-gay Christian bakery found guilty of discrimination

Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
There is another thread (recently closed) out there for a bakery in CO who denied to make a cake for a gay couple. This, however, is from Oregon. I don't think posing a question is even necessary. My only statement is it's a for profit organization and it's not religious non-profit. They have to abide by the law or take it further up the legal court food chain.

Oregon: Anti-gay Christian bakery found guilty of discrimination
It was a pretty simple case. The doofus should have known that he couldn't win. Maybe if he had some pews, bible thumper hypocrites and an altar as you walked into the bakery, he could have claimed that it was a religious building. But, he was DOA before the court.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:52 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
There's a new bakery accused of this every week. Why does it matter?

Seriously, I see both sides here. There is no difference between a cake for gay people and a cake for straight people, and since cake has no value aside form being a desert, it's not really making a statement or even necessary to refuse to bake a cake for gay people. The bakery is only turning away customers for arbitrary reasons.

As the same time, unless this is literally the only bakery with a 10 mile radius, why do the gay people care? Go to a bakery with a smarter owner? Why make a fuss? It's not like by refusing to bake a cake, your whole way of life is destroyed (any more than making the cake would destroy the bakers way of life; it's stupid cake). Let them be stupid in their silly beliefs and go to a bakery where the owners isn't an idiot.

We don't need to sue people overtime we're slightly offended.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
The only chance they have is that the Supreme Court will take up the case. They just turned a similar case down in New Mexico last year though, so it's a long shot.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

Seriously, I see both sides here. There is no difference between a cake for gay people and a cake for straight people, and since cake has no value aside form being a desert, it's not really making a statement or even necessary to refuse to bake a cake for gay people. The bakery is only turning away customers for arbitrary reasons.

As the same time, unless this is literally the only bakery with a 10 mile radius, why do the gay people care? Go to a bakery with a smarter owner? Why make a fuss? It's not like by refusing to bake a cake, your whole way of life is destroyed (any more than making the cake would destroy the bakers way of life; it's stupid cake). Let them be stupid in their silly beliefs and go to a bakery where the owners isn't an idiot.

We don't need to sue people overtime we're slightly offended.
You could substitute any group in your statement and come to the same conclusion if you wanted. The point is to eradicate discrimination in places that serve the public. If you want to discriminate then do it in the privacy of your own home.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Its bakery-bashing, don't you know! Every baker is suddenly a victim.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You could substitute any group in your statement and come to the same conclusion if you wanted. The point is to eradicate discrimination in places that serve the public. If you want to discriminate then do it in the privacy of your own home.
IMHO, businesses that aren't a "necessity" like a doctor, ambulance service, pharmacist, grocery store, etc shouldn't be forced to do business with anyone.

If it's a restaurant that doesn't want to serve black people, white people, gay people, short people, tall people, kids, fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks, tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chickenpox, it should be their decision. The government should not be forcing association.

If I owned a business, I wouldn't be turning away customers. Gay customers? No problem. Black customers? No problem. Asian customers? No problem. Bisexual transgender little person with missing limb and cleft lip? No problem.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
I really wouldn't want to eat something from a place where the baker hates you. Who knows what kind of disgusting things they can put in the cake just to get back at you. I'm fine with a baker openly telling me they don't want my business. Id rather go to a place who would value me as a customer.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, businesses that aren't a "necessity" like a doctor, ambulance service, pharmacist, grocery store, etc shouldn't be forced to do business with anyone.

If it's a restaurant that doesn't want to serve black people, white people, gay people, short people, tall people, kids, fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks, tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chickenpox, it should be their decision. The government should not be forcing association.

If I owned a business, I wouldn't be turning away customers. Gay customers? No problem. Black customers? No problem. Asian customers? No problem. Bisexual transgender little person with missing limb and cleft lip? No problem.
Cute~. We're you thinking about the old Oscar Meyer commercial? It's not a big deal until it happens to you. How would you explain it to your kids? Our country has already gone through a very ugly history where ppl of color were denied those services at public places. With a name like "Martinez", you should appreciate that.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
The gay mafia goes berserk when one small business won't bake them a gay cake (a cake they could get anywhere else) but completely ignore yet another incident of Islamists throwing gays off of buildings to their deaths for being gay. ~Liberal Logic 101

ISIS throws man off tower block for 'being gay' then stone him when he SURVIVED the fall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies