Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:04 AM

66 posts, read 73,390 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm new here and i don't know what do you think about gun-usage.
Hope that it will be good thread and somebody will tell me why i'm wrong or why i'm right!

So, let's speak about gun control, gun ownership and mental health testing.
I often see articles with headlines like "Toddler shot his parents" or "Another shootings in *districtname*" and people in comments often write very stupid arguments to protect themselves and all of gun owners.
Also they like to write something like "Only mad and mentally-ill persons kill people, not guns"
But as we can see from this article Stop blaming mental health for gun violence. The problem is guns. - The Washington Post
only 4 percent of people which used guns was mentally ill.
And now i wanna know your opinion.

P.S. please, post some real arguments, not stats about ids died in swimming pools!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Some of us are strongly opposed to individuals owning fire arms for any reason and others strongly support the concept that owning guns is a fundamental right of a free person. Let us start by defining what is a gun/firearm.

These are devices for propelling a projectile(s) in a controlled direction by burning shelf oxidizing chemicals in a tube and using the resulting pressure to accelerate the projectiles. The projectiles are generally made of metals such as lead, copper, steel, bismuth and tungsten carbide. The purpose of guns are to deliver the kinetic energy of the projectile in order to mark a target or destroy an assailant. The base definition of a gun is that it is a very effective weapon.

The primary argument about guns is not about guns but about weapons. The question is does the general population need to have effective weaponry available? A substantial number of people firmly believe the society as represented by the police will keep them from harm by criminals using weapons. Others do not think the police will be able to protect them from assault. This is the heart of the debate.

I cannot speak for the former because my experience and personality prevent me from trusting society to do anything to protect me from harm. I believe I have a personal responsibility to myself, my family and, potentially, complete strangers, from assault. I find that a large caliber handgun is the weapon of choice because the stop a human with one central hit. Most of the time I avoid places where I think assault is likely so I am not carrying a gun. When I have to go somewhere I consider dangerous I am armed.

Politically I support the 2nd Amendment because it prevents some authority from decreeing that no individuals should be personally armed because the police forces can protect anyone. This is completely absurd. The only person that can protect you in an emergency is yourself.

This post does not cover more than the very basic concepts of this debate.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
This topic probably needs to be in another section than "Current Events".

Old 02-05-2015, 06:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Yep, wrong section, but while it is still here I will put in my 2 cents. If every gun in the world disappeared tomorrow it would not stop people from killing other people. They would use knives, clubs, and every other method to do their deeds.

Guns are only one tool, and, while they are a convenient way to kill someone, they are not exclusive. If someone is hellbent on killing you, they will find a way to do it.

Don

Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
Where I live EVERYONE has firearms. I'll repeat this EVERYONE has firearms! Yet in the 30 years I have lived here there have been NO murders by firearms. There was a woman that was strangled about 40 miles away but no firearm deaths. An interesting side note is that she had a gun but had forgotten to load it and when he entered her house she pulled the trigger and it went "click", the gun would have saved her life. In fact I can not remember one accidental firearm death.

The nearest murders by firearms have been in the cities and most of those by nexus were related to illegal drugs.

My opinion is that the people with irrational fear of firearms are wired to be victims. The mentality of victims will automatically blame the gun and not rationally look for the root cause.

If all guns were made illegal tomorrow it won't change the number of murders by firearms. In fact the murders may increase because you just made even the legal gun owners potential victims by taking their guns.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
To the OP:

Blaming the tools that are used to commit murder , whether it is a firearm, knife, baseball bat, vehicle, poison , pillow, swimming pool, rope, fire, etc. isn't really looking at the problem of why an individual thought taking a life to solve a problem is rational thinking. The root cause of murder isn't the instrument that was used to commit the murder, it was the person that pulled the trigger, slashed, stabbed, or hit the victim.
Eliminating or regulating the instrument used is just putting a band aid on the problem, it is just making people feel good that "something" was done. We need to figure out why are people not putting value on anothers life. Just this week two adolescent brothers in Detroit got into an argument over a bag of potatoe chips. One of them grabbed a knife and stabbed the other. How is this rational thinking ? Seems like anyone willing to kill someone for reasons other than self defense has mental issues to begin with.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:25 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
I'm not a control freak, so I don't care where this thread goes.

What we have here is more proof of the "gun control" ruse (sometimes referred to as "common sense gun laws"). Both are simply feel-good terms for stripping Americans of the right to bear arms.

The OP should concentrate on the murders which occur every day in every major city, most of which are committed with "illegal" guns and by people who are not mentally ill.

The gun-grabbers should consider that, and leave the rest of us alone.

Oh, and maybe the president can stop undermining the laws we have, and quit pardoning felons who've been convicted of illegal gun possession. What a concept.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What we have here is more proof of the "gun control" ruse (sometimes referred to as "common sense gun laws"). Both are simply feel-good terms for stripping Americans of the right to bear arms..
I continually hear this nonsense about how Obama stripped American's right to bear arms. Please state the laws Obama changed. Last I checked, he changed nothing. Most states control their own laws regarding guns. I am tired of the gun nuts thinking Democrats are more against guns. Plenty of Democrats hunt you know. TONS of them.

I think gun owners should have a background check. I don't think that is asking too much. Owning a gun is a big responsibility. There are one heck of a lot of accidents involving guns. If you buy a car and license it to be on the road, you need to pass some basic skills to take that car on the road because someone might get killed as a result of no training. Same should be with guns. Just basic training. That isn't the same as, "he is taking our guns"!

I wish gun nuts could understand the difference, but man are many of them totally blind. Really to the point of sounding dumb. Yes, DUMB! Of course they will say, that is the start of the government taking our guns. What a crock of crap. Just moronic. Do you know how many hunters are in government? TONS! Stop being so idiotic.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,701 times
I agree we have too many guns in the US. A ridiculous amount and I do think they excess leads to a sloppiness and irresponsibility and a "gun-mind" in many idiots. Not all gun owners but many for some reason once they own a gun cannot get using the gun in every bad situation out of their mind. These are the people who shoot the guy with Alzheimer's who wandered away from his home at night, shoot the Autistic man who beats on the door, the foreign trick-or Treater, etc. Then you have those that store guns loaded-more sad times.

So yes I think that most of our problems are from excess or irresponsible gun ownership but we cannot ignore the mental illness component because it ties into the other. Like the parents in Colorado who gave their mentally ill son access to their guns and he shot the Giffords woman.
Gabrielle Giffords - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2015, 08:30 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,701 times
I have heard this before "The OP should concentrate on the murders which occur every day in every major city, most of which are committed with "illegal" guns and by people who are not mentally ill. " and I have to say it is bunk. The reason those cities have outlawed the guns is because the gun violence got too high with them legal in the past so then after years of rising crime rates they made them illegal, look at Chicago's history, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies