Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:07 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times

Advertisements

From the World Health Organization
The latest Murder Statistics for the world:
Murders per 100,000 citizens per year.
Honduras 91.6 (WOW!!)
El Salvador 69.2
Cote d'lvoire 56.9
Jamaica 52.2
Venezuela 45.1
Belize 41.4
US Virgin Islands 39.2
Guatemala 38.5
Saint Kitts and Nevis 38.2
Zambia 38.0
Uganda 36.3
Malawi 36.0
Lesotho 35.2
Trinidad and Tobago 35.2
Colombia 33.4
South Africa 31.8
Congo 30.8
Central African Republic 29.3
Bahamas 27.4
Puerto Rico 26.2
Saint Lucia 25.2
Dominican Republic 25.0
Tanzania 24.5
Sudan 24.2
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 22.9
Ethiopia 22.5
Guinea 22.5
Dominica 22.1
Burundi 21.7
Democratic Republic of the Congo 21.7
Panama 21.6
Brazil 21.0
Equatorial Guinea 20.7
Guinea-Bissau 20.2
Kenya 20.1
Kyrgyzstan 20.1
Cameroon 19.7
Montserrat 19.7
Greenland 19.2
Angola 19.0
Guy ana 18.6
Burkina Faso 18.0
Eritrea 17.8
Namibia 17.2
Rwanda 17.1
Mexico 16.9
Chad 15.8
Ghana 15.7
Ecuador 15.2
North Korea 15.2
Benin 15.1
Sierra Leone 14.9
Mauritania 14.7
Botswana 14.5
Zimbabwe 14.3
Gabon 13.8
Nicaragua 13.6
French Guiana 13.3
Papua New Guinea 13.0
Swaziland 12.9
Bermuda 12.3
Comoros 12.2
Nigeria 12.2
Cape Verde 11.6
Grenada 11.5
Paraguay 11.5
Barbados 11.3
Togo 10.9
Gambia 10.8
Peru 10.8
Myanmar 10.2
Russia 10.2
Liberia 10.1
Costa Rica 10.0
Nauru 9.8
Bolivia 8.9
Mozambique 8.8
Kazakhstan 8.8
Senegal 8.7
Turks and Caicos Islands 8.7
Mongolia 8.7
British Virgin Islands 8.6
Cayman Islands 8.4
Seychelles 8.3
Madagascar 8.1
Indonesia 8.1
Mali 8.0
Pakistan 7.8
Moldova 7.5
Kiribati 7.3
Guadeloupe 7.0
Haiti 6.9
Timor-Leste 6.9
Anguilla 6.8
Antigua and Barbuda 6.8
Lithuania 6.6
Uruguay 5.9
Philippines 5.4
Ukraine 5.2
Estonia 5.2
Cuba 5.0
Belarus 4.9
Thailand 4.8
Suriname 4.6
Laos 4.6
Georgia 4.3
Martinique 4.2
And ..........
The United States 4.2
ALL (109) of the countries above America ,
HAVE 100% gun bans.
It might be of interest to note that SWITZERLAND is not shown on this list, because it has...NO MURDER OCCURRENCE!
However, SWITZERLAND 'S law requires that EVERY MALE:
1. Own a gun.
2. Maintain Marksman qualifications ... regularly .
Did you learn anything from this??
I think the message is - loud and clear...

Switzerland Gun Policy May Keep Their Murder Rate Down-Truth!
Summary of the eRumor:
TruthOrFiction.com
This is a forwarded email alleging that Switzerland equips every adult male with a gun, trains them and mandates that they maintain marksmanship personal qualifications. Because of this the gun related crimes in Switzerland are almost nonexistent.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,998 times
"Stop saying that artists are talented. It's not them, it's the painbrushes they use!"

Old 02-05-2015, 02:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I continually hear this nonsense about how Obama stripped American's right to bear arms. Please state the laws Obama changed. Last I checked, he changed nothing. Most states control their own laws regarding guns. I am tired of the gun nuts thinking Democrats are more against guns. Plenty of Democrats hunt you know. TONS of them.

I think gun owners should have a background check. I don't think that is asking too much. Owning a gun is a big responsibility. There are one heck of a lot of accidents involving guns. If you buy a car and license it to be on the road, you need to pass some basic skills to take that car on the road because someone might get killed as a result of no training. Same should be with guns. Just basic training. That isn't the same as, "he is taking our guns"!

I wish gun nuts could understand the difference, but man are many of them totally blind. Really to the point of sounding dumb. Yes, DUMB! Of course they will say, that is the start of the government taking our guns. What a crock of crap. Just moronic. Do you know how many hunters are in government? TONS! Stop being so idiotic.
^
This is true:

I've been on the fence about the gun thing because I sympathize with both sides, but the obstinance to any form of responsibility is disheartening. If it were up to me, there'd be some form of registration and insurance requirement for owning a firearm. If they are caught owning an unlicensed weapon, the weapon should be destroyed so as to keep it from going back into circulation.

Pre-empting the argument of "the govt will one day come after the people," I'd argue that we've already allowed the military to become so large and powerful that there's not a darned thing any group of americans could do to stop it. It's like Rand Paul feared, if the government really wanted to, they could nail you with a drone strike while you're getting a latte @ Starbucks.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:55 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
^
This is true:

I've been on the fence about the gun thing because I sympathize with both sides, but the obstinance to any form of responsibility is disheartening. If it were up to me, there'd be some form of registration and insurance requirement for owning a firearm. If they are caught owning an unlicensed weapon, the weapon should be destroyed so as to keep it from going back into circulation.

Pre-empting the argument of "the govt will one day come after the people," I'd argue that we've already allowed the military to become so large and powerful that there's not a darned thing any group of americans could do to stop it. It's like Rand Paul feared, if the government really wanted to, they could nail you with a drone strike while you're getting a latte @ Starbucks.
A bunch of 3rd world, cave dwellers in Afghanistan held off the Russian army and a subset of that group is still giving our army some resistance.

Without popular support, the government doesn't stand a chance and support is fickle. https://westernrifleshooters.wordpre...w-at-the-coup/

Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
Quote:
^
This is true:

Issue with insurance is that it requires money and that is a discriminating factor, especially for those who may not be as financially well off as you are to afford said insurance. So those who live in less affluent areas where there may be more crime would effectively be disarmed.

And who is going to follow the unlawful order of firing on American civilians in America? I don't know a single person in the military who would do so and I've met a few, probably more than you've met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
A bunch of 3rd world, cave dwellers in Afghanistan held off the Russian army and a subset of that group is still giving our army some resistance.

Without popular support, the government doesn't stand a chance and support is fickle. https://westernrifleshooters.wordpre...w-at-the-coup/
Yep and it happened in Iraq with urban combat.

Urban combat is hell.

One guy with a rifle will pin an entire company down in an urban environment. Sound bounces off the walls and you can't pinpoint the origin of the shot. I spent some long days pinned down like that.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
Quote:
^
This is true:

How about a written & oral physc too like cops have?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,557 times
A woman went to a fishing camp with her husband who was an avid fisherman. Since she didn't fish, she didn't get a fishing license. One afternoon while her husband was napping, she decided to take his boat out to the middle of the lake and read a book. The game warden came along and demanded to see her fishing license. She told him she wasn't fishing and had no need for a license.

The game warden then said, "I'm sorry, I have to give you a ticket for fishing without a license because you have all the tools required to fish in your possession and I don't have a way of knowing whether or not you will use them: a fishing boat, fishing tackle, bait and all that."

The woman countered with: "If you do, then I will sue you for rape."

"But I haven't touched you!" declared the game warden

"Yes, but you have on you all the tools for assaulting me: you have male genitalia and you are stronger than me. Therefore, I have no way of knowing if you are going to use them! If your charge holds, so will mine."

And that, children, is how this gun control conversation should go.
Gun control advocates say that if a person owns a gun, they are immediately assumed to be incompetent and incapable of making a good decision; they should be watched like a hawk, have their name written in a book, be subject to unusual and excessive regulations and oversight just because they have a tool. Guilty before the fact because of possession. Even our TV shows have gone that route. Not only do those shows deny their perps their Miranda rights, they immediately assume the person is guilty because they OWN a gun. But when someone dies of a knife wound or being hit by a rock, they don't go around assuming everyone is guilty who has a knife in the kitchen or a rock in the driveway.

Most gun control advocates don't understand a few things:
1. Competitive gun sports are the number one sport in America, behind golf. A lot more people have them than you know, and a lot more are just sitting back waiting to see what happens. Quiet doesn't equal agreement.
2. According to two government agencies, the NIH and the CDC, gun deaths, including violent gun deaths and accidents, have gone down by almost 45% since the 1980's
3. Michael Bloomberg, who reportedly has dozens of ARMED guards protecting him all the time, has pledged $30million just this year to push gun control, when he has no intention of disarming those who protect him. He doesn't see the hypocrisy in saying he can be protected from bad guys, but you can't.
4. Gun control is the ultimate war on women. It's an equalizer. Yes, I've had to use one to stop someone from attacking me. All I had to do was show it and he took off. If I didn't have it, I might be dead right now.
5. There is no law that says you have to own a gun. If you don't like them, don't own one. But don't expect the cops to 'save you.' Their only job is to 'protect the public.' Look it up. Their job is not to protect individuals. When it comes to you, they show up, count the bodies, gather data, assist the coroner or the EMT in getting the bodies taken care of, write their reports and move on.
6. 80 million gun owners did not shoot or harm or maim or threaten or hurt anyone today.
7. If the idiotic notion that you COULD actually remove all guns from the face of the earth actually happened, it would take about a week for there to be plenty of guns again. It's a simple tool that can be made in any machine shop. Ammo doesn't need to be made with bullets (yes, those are two different things.) You can put rocks in the chamber as a last resort, or frozen ice bullets, or who knows what people will think of.
8. A person in need of a weapon will use what they can find: a gun, a knife, a fork, a rock, the machete from the garden, a jump rope from the playground, fertilizer, battery acid... anything their warped mind thinks will do the job. Shall we also ban or control all of that? "I'm sorry sir, I know you own a gardening company, but you'll have to have a background check before we can sell you this machete."
9. Focusing all this energy on the low-hanging fruit of guns does absolutely NOTHING to solve the problem of an increasingly angry and frustrated population. We need to look to the sources: video games, agitators, blogs filled with hate, misleading articles in newspapers and chat rooms, the blame culture, the victim culture, the no-accountability culture, the entitlement culture.

As an earlier poster on this subject said, "Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless." Why anyone believes that a criminal, who by very definition doesn't follow the law, will be affected in any way, shape or form by increasingly strict gun control laws is a mystery to me. Chicago has strict gun control laws, yet murder there between gangs is so commonplace we don't even read about it outside the state.

to the OP, this should be in Politics and Controversies. And since you are a low number poster, I wonder what this is really about, would like to hear your reasoning behind your initial statements. Either you've never been in an attack situation, or you've never held a gun. IMHO both of those might change your mind.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I was a LE officer at one point in my life and was required to have a weapon and was trained to use it properly. I still have this gun and it is registered to me. Funny thing, this weapon has been in my homes all over the country for decades. It has had plenty of opportunity but it has never shot anyone yet.

I have kept it clean and even buy new ammo every now and then. I think my gun must believe in non-violence. And yet, in deference to me, it's owner and caretaker, it fires every time I pull the trigger. Pretty amazing, huh?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I continually hear this nonsense about how Obama stripped American's right to bear arms. Please state the laws Obama changed. Last I checked, he changed nothing. Most states control their own laws regarding guns. I am tired of the gun nuts thinking Democrats are more against guns. Plenty of Democrats hunt you know. TONS of them.

I think gun owners should have a background check. I don't think that is asking too much. Owning a gun is a big responsibility. There are one heck of a lot of accidents involving guns. If you buy a car and license it to be on the road, you need to pass some basic skills to take that car on the road because someone might get killed as a result of no training. Same should be with guns. Just basic training. That isn't the same as, "he is taking our guns"!

I wish gun nuts could understand the difference, but man are many of them totally blind. Really to the point of sounding dumb. Yes, DUMB! Of course they will say, that is the start of the government taking our guns. What a crock of crap. Just moronic. Do you know how many hunters are in government? TONS! Stop being so idiotic.

Someone who enjoys competitive shooting sports -- Cowboy Mounted Shooting, Single Action Shooting, and all the other sports is not a "gun nut" and to characterize them that way is an ad hominem attack.

I don't understand why youthink there's no background check when a person buys a gun. There's a background check when you get a Conceal and Carry permit. There's a background check at gun shows. Just because the mainstream media says there isn't, doesn't mean that's a true statement. It's the universal background check that goes into that big nasty nsa database that scares people. But yeah, just walk into a gun store in Phoenix and try to buy a gun. First thing they ask for is your ID and you fill out a form which they submit.

Yes, it's a big responsibility and there are wonderful training courses out there that millions of people take every year. Just because this isn't your world doesn't mean it isn't happening.

As for your first statement, in 2011, Obama signed the UN Arms Treaty. U.N. Agreement Should Have All Gun Owners Up In Arms - Forbesit hasn't gone into law because it requires Senate approval and they have yet to agree to it... even when the Dems controlled both Houses.

As for other edicts, do a search and you'll find it. Or go to WhiteHouse.gov and pull up the Executive Orders, executive memoranda, and executive edicts. It might wake you up a little bit. Scary reading/

Old 02-05-2015, 04:16 PM

920 posts, read 634,510 times
Quote:
^
This is true:

Um, the fact is, you cannot purchase a firearm from a gun store or a pawn shop or over the internet or at a gun show WITHOUT filing out an application and waiting for the seller to call the feds and get approval before the sale goes through.

True, I should legally be able to sell my firearm to a friend or family member without being "licensed" to do so. If I am a responsible gun owner, I should know the background of the person to whom I am selling a weapon.

WEAPONS ARE NOT LICENSED - what does that even mean?

Weapons that are involved in criminal activities (which means that a CRIMINAL was involved and not a law abiding, responsible citizen) that is found to be unregistered or has the serial numbers filed off etc., ARE removed from circulation by law enforcement.

Before you start arguing for gun registration (which history proves, leads to confiscation) you need to actually do some research and understand what laws are already on the books that relate to the sale and purchase of fire arms.

Good lord the level of disinformation among the gun control advocates is truly astounding. Okay, not really...but dang people who know nothing sure seem to think they have all the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies