Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 06:09 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times

Advertisements

There is no place in a modern society for guns.

Sadly, we have proved that even sporting guns need to be controlled. Every day we read of new gun deaths...."accidental" or otherwise. This silliness that people need a gun to protect themselves is just a ruse. Barely a soul ever gets off a shot, and more often they end up getting themselves harmed. And do people really think that the gubment is going to come door to door if they want to take control of the citizenry? Flip a switch and turn off your credit card and we are all helpless.

Control the manufacture. Provide a safe repository for guns. Check em out, check out the ammo, check em back in, check in the used casings.

It will take 100 years to rid our society of this scourge, but it needs to start somewhere. The numbers speak for themselves.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
In my state, MN, the largest percentage of deaths by gun are suicides. A lot of people don't realize that when they cite anti-gun statistics.

If you consider depression severe enough to cause a person to want to die to be a mental illness (which it is) then you would have to say that for MN, at least, deaths by gun are caused by mental illness.

Edited to add: the last sentence should read "the majority of deaths by guns."
They don't care. Firearms are evil and the scourge of our country, that is all they see. No statistic, no facts , nothing will change their minds.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I voted for Obama twice, and still think he was better than what the GOP offered, but he is more anti-gun than not, and if you haven't seen his speeches against guns and his spouting off on more gun laws, than your blind. You do sound like a gun control advocate, just so you don't think that's one persons idea. You can say whatever you want about the NRA, but the fact is it works, and it works for us to keep our rights, without others telling us what their version of our rights is going to be. If its about money, I could care less why they fight, only that they win. The reason anti-gun folks always sing that same "Money" song, is that they don't have the same power and support behind them, and can't get anywhere.

People should be afraid that the Government would take their guns away if they could. They did it during Katrina, or did you miss that? Gun registration is a farce, and does not save any lives at all. All it does is tell authorities where to get your gun. What good does it do? Name one scenario where it can save a life? If a gunman shot you, he would not just drop the gun there and leave it with you. Even if he did, how could his registration save you? Besides, a criminal is not going to care about any gun laws, if he is willing to break the biggest one, and murder some one.

The problem with anti-gun folks is that they have no capacity for logic or common sense and are "gun ignorant." There is definitely a mental problem with anyone who wants to ban a gun because of how it looks, or thinks a .223 is a "High Powered Rifle" because it "Looks" different, and a 30-06 is not because its a "Hunting" rifle. Surprises me that they can even function in daily life.

There was a time when I was all for reasonable rules and laws for guns, but that went out the window when they started coming up with idiotic reasons to ban certain guns. Now I advocate NO rules or Laws. Vote or fight against ANY gun laws and ANY proposal of rules and regulations. Join the NRA and Fight for your Rights.
Very well stated.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Sadly, we have proved that even sporting guns need to be controlled. Every day we read of new gun deaths...."accidental" or otherwise. This silliness that people need a gun to protect themselves is just a ruse. Barely a soul ever gets off a shot, and more often they end up getting themselves harmed. And do people really think that the gubment is going to come door to door if they want to take control of the citizenry? Flip a switch and turn off your credit card and we are all helpless.

Control the manufacture. Provide a safe repository for guns. Check em out, check out the ammo, check em back in, check in the used casings.

It will take 100 years to rid our society of this scourge, but it needs to start somewhere. The numbers speak for themselves.
And what would that do ? Please explain.

What have firearms restrictions or bans done for this person ?
Suspect in Livonia Crock-Pot death competent for trial

Start eliminating the tools and people will just find other ways to kill each other, it's been going on for centuries. As with any kind of issue or problem, doesn't the logical thing to do is try and find it's root cause ? Or is it you don't care about the violence you just don't want firearms ?

Look at the absurdity that is going on in the UK ? Really does this make actual sense to you ?

Save a Life

When are people going to stop trying to put band-aids on a much deeper problem ?
Our PC society will never get it because there is no PC way to address the problem.
What , other than the firearm is the common denominator in the majority of firearm violence ? Inner city zero income thugs (regardless of color) , most in gangs that feel that living the life of the gun is the way to live. Mothers having 8-10 kids while being kids themselves and no money to raise them. No family structure.
Next is mental health. Why are 20 somethings snapping and shooting up schools ? Why are todays youth thinking killing someone is a rational way to solve a problem ?
Next is depression. Why are so many people depressed ? What are the signs ? How do we get them help ?

These are some of the root causes of violence in todays society, stop trying to focus on feel good band aids to the problems and start looking at the real problems.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The problem appears to be guns in the hands of crazy people. As we are not likely to run out of either in any conceivable future we had better learn how to cope.

Lady Jessica of Dune once said that "Fear is the mind killer.." and some of our people are so frightened of so many things they have stopped thinking. They feel, not think, that eliminating guns is a simple way of reducing their fear. They feel incorrectly. They will still be afraid.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:15 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The problem appears to be guns in the hands of crazy people. As we are not likely to run out of either in any conceivable future we had better learn how to cope.

Lady Jessica of Dune once said that "Fear is the mind killer.." and some of our people are so frightened of so many things they have stopped thinking. They feel, not think, that eliminating guns is a simple way of reducing their fear. They feel incorrectly. They will still be afraid.
Agreed, and it's much easier to learn to cope once that is understood. By the read of some of these posts you'd think some people were born and raised in a mall, then never left.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 AM

377 posts, read 670,657 times
Do you crazy anti-gun freaks realize that criminals do not follow laws?? Take all the legal guns and then the only people with guns are cops and criminals. No thank you. Keep your laws off my body AND my guns...wtf.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:27 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

OK, lets take your idea and run with it. You be the first to find EVERY criminal and take away their guns. Go on, do it. Once that has been accomplished I will hand over my gun. See how ridiculous my post is??? Hello McFly???

Old 02-06-2015, 08:05 AM

939 posts, read 795,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I'm amazed at how often cars kept for work or pleasure kill innocent people. I am amazed at own often knives kept for cutting food or whittling kill innocent people.

I'm amazed at how often cleaners kept for home or industrial use are used to kill innocent people.

I am amazed at how often medications that are used to cure or improve illnesses are used to kill innocent people.

This country is car, knife, cleaning product and medication crazy, and that in itself HEAVILY contributes to the "staggering" violence....

I have never understood the fascination Americans have with cars, blah, blah, blah...

I have never understood the fascination Americans have with restricting the Constitutional rights and protections of others when they have no personal knowledge or understanding of the underlying right at issue.

If you are anti-gun, you should educate yourself by talking with actual gun owners and stop basing your misconceptions on the cartoon creations of political agendas and media spin. Maybe you should actually visit a gun range, gun shop or gun show and talk to those who attend or sell merchandise there. Maybe you should *gasp* actually fire a gun at a range and see why MANY people find gun ownership or collecting to be an interesting and (dare I say it) fun activity.

Just saying, them more a person has actual information and education from the source, the less likely they are to be "amazed" and lack understanding.
Your response is comical in it's exaggerations. Why do gun owners get SO UPSET?!! I NEVER said I don't believe in the right to bear arms. I just believe that "right" causes a whole lot more problem and deaths than it solves.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,642 times
Lots of replies to my post about requiring some basic rules around the ownership of a gun. Similar rules that are in place for the ownership of a car. I thought my ideas were within the realm of reason, but as some of vitriol aimed at me has proven, there doesn't seem to be room for middle ground in this debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Um, the fact is, you cannot purchase a firearm from a gun store or a pawn shop or over the internet or at a gun show WITHOUT filing out an application and waiting for the seller to call the feds and get approval before the sale goes through.

True, I should legally be able to sell my firearm to a friend or family member without being "licensed" to do so. If I am a responsible gun owner, I should know the background of the person to whom I am selling a weapon.

WEAPONS ARE NOT LICENSED - what does that even mean?

Weapons that are involved in criminal activities (which means that a CRIMINAL was involved and not a law abiding, responsible citizen) that is found to be unregistered or has the serial numbers filed off etc., ARE removed from circulation by law enforcement.

Before you start arguing for gun registration (which history proves, leads to confiscation) you need to actually do some research and understand what laws are already on the books that relate to the sale and purchase of fire arms.

Good lord the level of disinformation among the gun control advocates is truly astounding. Okay, not really...but dang people who know nothing sure seem to think they have all the answers.
Gun show loophole is quite prevalent here in Houston, and I suspect in other areas. In fact, I live about 3 miles from the Reliant Center, where on what seems to be every few weeks there's a gun show. I have gone to one of those gun shows out of curiosity with friends and seen them buy guns without going through the requisite background checks.

You are right, weapons aren't licensed, the owners are. Good job pouncing on me for that minor error. I suspect you would've been more persuasive simply pointing that out. As of now, I just assume you are incapable of a rational discussion regarding this matter. FYI, In Texas we have CHLs. That's what I was referring to. Calm down, your blood pressure spikes might kill you before any mishap with your gun does :P

I never said I had the answers, I just offered what I felt are reasonable rules to ensure that those who own guns are responsible for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
A bunch of 3rd world, cave dwellers in Afghanistan held off the Russian army and a subset of that group is still giving our army some resistance.

Without popular support, the government doesn't stand a chance and support is fickle. https://westernrifleshooters.wordpre...w-at-the-coup/
This is a good point, and I never thought of it that way. I'm not necessarily worried about our government trying to take over the country because our politicians are in the pockets of the wealthy and they wouldn't want to be taken over either. That said, thanks for pointing out that we actually might have a fighting chance although I'm still not sure what impact drones would have on the situation... I still would like to see some way of ensuring responsibility for people who own guns. Obviously, I'm in the minority on this thread in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Issue with insurance is that it requires money and that is a discriminating factor, especially for those who may not be as financially well off as you are to afford said insurance. So those who live in less affluent areas where there may be more crime would effectively be disarmed.

And who is going to follow the unlawful order of firing on American civilians in America? I don't know a single person in the military who would do so and I've met a few, probably more than you've met.
That's a good point on the insurance idea. That said, it's kind of like the rules requiring car insurance here in TX. If you can't afford it, you just break the law and hope nothing ever happens to you. Ultimately, I could see why people would balk at another financial obligation just for owning a gun. Again, it's just an idea based on what the current requirements are for owning a car. I do know the vast majority of gun owners are responsible people who simply enjoy sporting, or want a means to independently protect them and theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
How about a written & oral physc too like cops have?
Nope, I don't see the point of that. Based on Army Guy's response, I'd probably drop the idea of insurance. Again, I'm not opposed to ownership, but it does seem like a large # of mishaps are happening, even among those who are responsible. Which makes me wonder just how responsible they are. The worst part is the true victims are often small children who don't really have a say in anything (just thinking about the mom in Walmart killed by her son, or the baby killed by a gun left unattended by the sleeping boyfriend).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies