Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

I think Obama has finally lost me with this one. For years I've looked at things he's said that right wingers have foamed at the mouth over, calling him a Muslim Manchurian candidate, etc, and called them stupid. That kind of stuff still is stupid.

But what he's doing here, trying to create a moral relativism to a movement and an extremism that is supported by 10's of millions and is going on right now, I find disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think Obama has finally lost me with this one. For years I've looked at things he's said that right wingers have foamed at the mouth over, calling him a Muslim Manchurian candidate, etc, and called them stupid. That kind of stuff still is stupid.

But what he's doing here, trying to create a moral relativism to a movement and an extremism that is supported by 10's of millions and is going on right now, I find disturbing.

It's stupid, and it belies history.

Americans are so quick to try to not offend, they forget history class.

And [MOD CUT/inappropriate] Muslims from the Middle East sacked, pillaged and conquered, enslaved and controlled European areas for much, much much longer periods of history than the Europeans ever did in reverse. Like, hundreds of years longer.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-06-2015 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Show me what passage in the Bible tells christians to kill in the name of their religion.

Jesus Christ DIED for his religion.
Muhammad KILLED for his relgion.

There is no comparison. Barack is a terrorist sympathizer and should be impeached for giving "aid and comfort" to the enemy.
Jesus Christ was not a Christian. Christianity was founded by people proclaiming to follow Christ. Christ's followers have certainly performed many evil acts including killing.

So you think Obama was sympathizing with terrorism when he said the following?

We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's stupid, and it belies history.

Americans are so quick to try to not offend, they forget history class.

And [MOD CUT/inappropriate] Muslims from the Middle East sacked, pillaged and conquered, enslaved and controlled European areas for much, much much longer periods of history than the Europeans ever did in reverse. Like, hundreds of years longer.
I don't know about that.

Much longer than what the Europeans did in the Americas, Australia, Sub Saharan Africa, the Caribbean, and parts of Asia?

Ehhhhhhhhh...

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-06-2015 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Jesus Christ was not a Christian. Christianity was founded by people proclaiming to follow Christ. Christ's followers have certainly performed many evil acts including killing.

We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.

Until Barack calls ISIS an "Islamic" organization, he is sympathizing with them.

By him going all the way back to the "crusades" to find an example, I would quote his Sec of State Hillary Clinton when she famously said "At this point, what difference does it make!".

Old 02-06-2015, 07:27 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
... If the effort is to highlight how people wrongly use religion as a justification for horrid acts, the point is taken.

However, "self reflection on the past" is not necessary when facing this current enemy. Calling out hypocrites is important... when it's actually present-day. Not when long-fought battles have been fought to correct past behavior and attitudes, at least not here in America.

Because honestly, you want to start down that "you can't criticize if you have demons in your past" road, you (a prolific racial topics poster) are going to find yourself unable to criticize anything that's been done to black folks on account of what some black folks have done to oppress others in the past.

Circular logic.

Yes...that is true....and Islam, like Christians, have to be allowed to work through their issues as Christians have been allowed to work through theirs and no non Christian force attempted to intervene and condemn the whole religion by the use of force.

Another point is this.....the Christians largely got what they wanted.....LAND AND RESOURCES, WEALTH. In other words, there actions began to produce diminishing returns....so they ended them, once they got out of those act what they wanted or needed.

Slavery's necessity began to wane with the advent of the industrial revolution as the agrarian era was coming to an end and Machine power was rising....Slavery ended during this transition period.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Show me what passage in the Bible tells christians to kill in the name of their religion.

Jesus Christ DIED for his religion.
Muhammad KILLED for his relgion.

There is no comparison. Barack is a terrorist sympathizer and should be impeached for giving "aid and comfort" to the enemy.

The Crusades happened for the very reasons we are at war with Islam today.
Christians got tired of being massacred for not believing in a religion of death and hate.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post

I don't believe he's a "sympathizer". What he is, is a bleeding heart liberal whose first instinct is find a way to point the finger at the US and the West because that's what they learned in college, and they love Noam Chomsky.

ISIL does not exist because racists in America hanged and burned some black people in the south 50 years ago, nor does that point of history make one speck of difference as to how brutal they and the people who support them are. The point he's making is completely irrelevant and serves no purpose other than to make other liberals nod their heads. I have many friends who are inclined this way too. Years of living amongst the hipsters will do that to you.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know about that.

Much longer than what the Europeans did in the Americas, Australia, Sub Saharan Africa, the Caribbean, and parts of Asia?

Ehhhhhhhhh...
Oh, so now it's about "Europeans" not the US. It's all just one bunch of pasty white people subjugating the browns and blacks.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Having listened to the complete speech I did not see Obama attemptting to "create a moral relativism."

It seems to me that the critics of the speech are the ones making a moral relativism argument.

In my opinion, it is hard to argue with Obama assertion which was people distorting religion for evil deeds "is not unique to one group or one religion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies