Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 09:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Having listened to the complete speech I did not see Obama attemptting to "create a moral relativism."

It seems to me that the critics of the speech are the ones making a moral relativism argument.

In my opinion, it is hard to argue with Obama assertion which was people distorting religion for evil deeds "is not unique to one group or one religion."
Most people will not make an effort to read the entire transcript. Some are content to rely on sensational headlines, cherry- picked remarks ,out of context sound bites and fake insights as to what Obama meant, because it Validates their perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:39 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Funny, I haven't seen him in Ireland much, or with any Irish traditions he upholds or even talks about.
He constantly lets us know he identifies with his Muslim ancestors. God forbid he acknowledges in any substantial way that he's half (cough cough) "white."
Exactly!
Read his books.
Seems like he talks a lot about the father he hardly knew (the drunken Kenyan), but not much about his "white side". He also states in one book that he made a conscious decision to be "black" and ignore his "white side", even though he was living at the time with his white grandparents.
But then, it is always possible I am remembering what I read incorrectly.
If so, there are those on here who will joyously point out my errors.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,755 times
What other religions have done in the past has nothing to do with the here and now.
We are at war with Muslim extremists and he will not acknowledge this in front of America.

Don't cast stones at ISIS because many people in the past have been killed in the name of Christ......

Really? At this point in time you are minimizing the terrorist actions?

Using this logic...

If he was addressing slavery it would go something like this....

"Don't criticize the slave masters... after all the Egyptians did it, the Romans did it, the Greeks did it, so don't judge..

Old 02-06-2015, 09:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Funny, I haven't seen him in Ireland much, or with any Irish traditions he upholds or even talks about.
He constantly lets us know he identifies with his Muslim ancestors. God forbid he acknowledges in any substantial way that he's half (cough cough) "white."
So. Does that bother you?

Most African Americans have lots of white blood. Big deal.

I might even have a little. So you now accept me as white?

Old 02-06-2015, 09:50 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times
Quote:
I think he sympathizes with Islamic terrorism -- not terrorism in general.
He has no problem criticizing many things Christian or in the name of Christ, but refuses to even say Islam or Islamic in any negative way.
Islamic terrorism is "work place violence" or a "few radicals" a "death cult" or an "unfortunate incident".

He's quick to point out that rural conservatives "cling to their guns and religion (Christianity)."
But refuses to connect or name Islam with its violence and gun clinging.

He recently met with a Muslim-only group that's whining about Muslim bigotry here, but despises and won't meet with Netanyahu whose country Islamists are committed to anhililating.
Obama has met with Netanyahu multiple times.

So when Obama orders the execution of Islamic terrorist leaders, which he does via acts like drone attacks, you think he is sympathizing with them.

Seems to me Christ had something to say about examining our own flaws.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...=Matthew+7:3-5

Matthew 7:3-5New International Version (NIV)

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

I'm sorry but as a Christian it is against my principals to demonize others because their belief system is different then mine. While I have no problem with combating terrorist groups; I see no useful purpose engaging in a death match with Islam in general. In fact I see that a lot of violence derives from the efforts to claim one religion is superior to another.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
I haven't gone through the whole thread...but I do think Obama is maturing a bit. I didn't hear him blame Bush for the Crusades.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
When did Obama attempt to "Justify Jihad", certainly not in his prayer breakfast speech?
That's what some sensational media headlines claim.

No reason to make an effort to read the entire transcript when the sensational headlines and out of context sound bites appear to validate one's perceptions.

Are millions of US people enlisting and prepared to do whatever it will take for serious decades to fight global terrorism?

Are millions of US people begging for explosive war debt and higher taxes to fight global terrorism?

Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Occam's Razor...of course I expect the elected leader of the United States to cheer lead, morally justify, and do everything else right, wrong or indifferent to paint the US in the best possible light, first and foremost among any other priority. That's his freaking job. If I have cheerleaders for my team, I want their cheers to be positive, uplifting, motivational messages FOR MY TEAM. Go-fight-win, not sorry-we-suck-and-deserve-to-lose!!

When Barack Obama goes back to plain old Mr. Obama, self-proclaimed academic, post-liberal enlightenment thinker, darling of Upper West Side cocktail parties...then he can morally sermonize in defense of Islamofascism to his heart's content and I won't give a rat's patootie. But right now, at this moment, he is the elected head cheer leader of Team America, and as head cheerleader, his job is to say rah rah America, go-fight-win, rah rah America....not propping up the other team while making ours feel bad. The President is top cheerleader, period. The singular face of the United States. If you don't like America, are ashamed of it, think it needs to be insulted, knocked down a peg or otherwise humbled that's fine, go write a freaking book and get tenure in the Ivy league, but DO NOT TAKE THE JOB AS PRESIDENT OF THE US IF YOU FREAKING HATE AMERICA SO FREAKING MUCH.

Yes, I do expect moral relativism on behalf of my nation from my nation's leader. Absolutely. What I do not expect from my President, leader, and commander in chief is every single day finding a way to prop up our enemies while simultaneously tearing us down literally and figuratively to the rest of the world. That's simply fubar leadership, and I don't care who's doing it.

Your can have moral relativism when it comes to the U.S.

I'm not a child, so I'll just take the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Exactly!
Read his books.
Seems like he talks a lot about the father he hardly knew (the drunken Kenyan), but not much about his "white side". He also states in one book that he made a conscious decision to be "black" and ignore his "white side", even though he was living at the time with his white grandparents.
But then, it is always possible I am remembering what I read incorrectly.
If so, there are those on here who will joyously point out my errors.
Did you read "Dreams from my Father"? I big chunk of the book is about his "white side".

Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
What other religions have done in the past has nothing to do with the here and now.
We are at war with Muslim extremists and he will not acknowledge this in front of America.

Don't cast stones at ISIS because many people in the past have been killed in the name of Christ......

Really? At this point in time you are minimizing the terrorist actions?

Using this logic...

If he was addressing slavery it would go something like this....

"Don't criticize the slave masters... after all the Egyptians did it, the Romans did it, the Greeks did it, so don't judge..
You are arguing against position that Obama did not make in the prayer breakfast speech. He definitely threw a stone at ISIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies