Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post

No. I simply said I don't see any conservatives spending their free time doing these things. Quite honestly I don't even remember why I said it but it was in response to something another person said. But... see the below quote and response

It's a conservative principle to help others by ignoring them.

Wow, a hat trick of proving my point that conservatives just don't give a crap about anybody but their own!!
I know, they do nothing...
Samaritan's Purse
Mercury One
Etc etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I know, they do nothing...
Samaritan's Purse
Mercury One
Etc etc...
I really don't want to dig through your evidence to find your claim, but are you saying these are conservatives doing things on their free time? If so, could you point me to the evidence that they are actually conservatives, and not just a Christian organization? They are two separate meanings you know ....

I clicked on Mercuryone ... I'll give that one to you. Maybe we should all give to that charity. It'd make the world a better place huh?

Would you call that a tax? lol ...

Old 02-08-2015, 09:39 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
I really don't want to dig through your evidence to find your claim, but are you saying these are conservatives doing things on their free time? If so, could you point me to the evidence that they are actually conservatives, and not just a Christian organization? They are two separate meanings you know ....
There's already a book full of such evidence called:

Who Really Cares?

But, of course, liberals didn't like it because it didn't support their point of view as conservative=greedy.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There's already a book full of such evidence:

Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism: Arthur C. Brooks, James Q. Wilson: 9780465008230: Amazon.com: Books

But of course liberals didn't like it because it didn't support their point of view as conservative=greedy.
Maybe liberals think conservatives = greedy because they read threads like these!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
There are countless studies that prove conservatives give more time and money to charity than liberals.

Liberals are interested in helping the less fortunate, so long as they can do it by voting once a year and not personally donating their time or money. It's the rare liberal whose conduct matches her rhetoric when it comes to helping others. As a collective, the conservative "heart" for the needy and downtrodden dwarfs anything the liberals have ever done for the downtrodden.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
[quote=Mwahfromtheheart;38363366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia1 View Post

It's a conservative principle to help others by ignoring them.

Wow, a hat trick of proving my point that conservatives just don't give a crap about anybody but their own!!
Actually you are VERY wrong. Successful people have a natural strong pull to help others (BY CHOICE). Of course you wouldn't understand that concept. No one likes being forced. Liberals believe in taking what is not theirs.

Liberal logic does not acknowledge the realities of human behavior.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
There are countless studies that prove conservatives give more time and money to charity than liberals.

Liberals are interested in helping the less fortunate, so long as they can do it by voting once a year and not personally donating their time or money. It's the rare liberal whose conduct matches her rhetoric when it comes to helping others. As a collective, the conservative "heart" for the needy and downtrodden dwarfs anything the liberals have ever done for the downtrodden.
Those studies are based on a per state basis... as if Texas doesn't have liberals in it and California doesn't have conservatives. They're also based on how much income is given through income gains over time. Something that's been stagnant among all but the upper class ...

But conservatives don't care that the upper class is making a lot more money and the middle class isn't making any gains, yet conservatives want to get mad at liberals for trying to fix that. Really confusing.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 PM

By the way, for every study you produce, I can produce one that calls BS ...

"the inclination to give appears to have virtually no relationship to one's partisan or ideological views"

"The book was a brief for "compassionate conservatism," but its claim raised a lot of skepticism, and not only among liberals. One problem noted across the political spectrum was Brooks' reliance on the 2000 Social Capital Community Benchmark Survey to distinguish "liberal" from "conservative." The problem was that the survey didn't seem to accurately measure those categories and didn't distinguish well between social conservatives or liberals and fiscal conservatives or liberals."

"What the MIT researchers did find, however, was that conservatives give more to religious organizations, such as their own churches, and liberals more to secular recipients."

Who's more charitable -- conservatives or liberals? - LA Times

Old 02-08-2015, 09:48 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Those studies are based on a per state basis... as if Texas doesn't have liberals in it and California doesn't have conservatives. They're also based on how much income is given through income gains over time. Something that's been stagnant among all but the upper class ...

But conservatives don't care that the upper class is making a lot more money and the middle class isn't making any gains, yet conservatives want to get mad at liberals for trying to fix that. Really confusing.
6 years in and you haven't done crap to fix it.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
6 years in and you haven't done crap to fix it.
Because it took that long to fix the stink the banks created. And don't look at me, I can't stand Obama. I didn't vote for him, and I think it was SILLY to vote for somebody with almost no executive experience for that job. The ACA was a failure and I can find a hundred things I don't agree with him on the economy about. People may think I'm a liberal because I'm arguing against extreme conservatism but I'm not. I just argue against extremism and don't like false information and silly generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies