Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,346,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Churches aren't charities; they're non-profits. While they do donate a lot of their income to various causes, most of what the church brings in pays to run the church, pay the staff, etc. They don't 'pocket' it, its used to run the church. The vast majority of churches are small and have tight budgets. The average pastor makes just over $40k. The average college professor makes about $100k (many of whom ironically use their platform to complain about income inequality). The pastor at a megachurch might make $300k, which compared to the multi-million dollar salaries college presidents make, its a drop in the bucket. Seems colleges have far greedier staff than any church.

And churches aren't subsidized. They're tax-exempt because they're nonprofits, and any grants they get from the government are required by law to only be used for their charitable work, not religious activities.
They're subsidies, and at a ridiculous amount

You give religions more than $82.5 billion a year - The Washington Post

Churches are businesses period.

Median pastor salary

Pastor Salary | Salary.com

With exception to a professor of law, college professors make about the same.

College Professor Salary | Salary.com

It doesn't matter that the law counts churches as "non-profits", it's very plain to see that they are 100% business models out to make money for themselves just like any other business.

What's the difference? The college professor pays taxes, the pastor doesn't. Fairness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,447,728 times
You use Media Matters an objective source?

Hilarious!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So let's see it! Prove to me that "real" studies only give 1 easy number or is that just your claim and your own criteria?

Real charities donate well over 2/3 of their donations....
Funny that you ask me to show that real studies only give one easy number and then in the very next sentence cite a study that gives one easy number.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-11-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 10:56 PM

549 posts, read 457,656 times
Quote:
What's the difference? The college professor pays taxes, the pastor doesn't. Fairness!
Not true! Pastors do pay taxes on their income - exactly like college professors.
As non-profits, churches do not pay taxes on what's left from their revenue after the expenses - exactly like colleges.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am apolitical but most of the conservatives that I know, when their face is at rest, it's shaped in a frown and or they look constipated.....and I am being totally serious. 8 out of 10 times....I can look at a person and tell if they are conservatives.....because conservatives generally look like a-holes by their expression.
Let's see...Elizabeth Warren, Michael Moore, Keith Olbermann, Lawrence O'Donnell, Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, Maxine Waters, Henry Waxman, Al Franken, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Howard Dean, Al Gore, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Al Sharpton, Bill De Blasio, Jimmy Carter, Barack Obama in "lecture mode" with the big frown...yeah, some real happy campers there.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
....I just think you're trying to make fun of someone for using big words.
Finally.

Someone who gets it.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Funny that you ask me to show that real studies only give one easy number and then in the very next sentence cite a study that gives one easy number.
The 2/3 number was based on an average I did in my head which was based on a study of several different charities all giving their own numbers (exhibiting ranges)

Now, why again is having ranges suddenly make a study invalid?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You use Media Matters an objective source?

Hilarious!
The whole page includes links to plenty of other sources.

What caused crisis? No one thing | PolitiFact

Politifact shows "no one thing" and there were multiple reasons. So you can try to blame Fannie and Freddie all you want, but economists disagree!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Not true! Pastors do pay taxes on their income - exactly like college professors.
As non-profits, churches do not pay taxes on what's left from their revenue after the expenses - exactly like colleges.
Clergy are Blessed with (almost) Tax-Free Status

Why do pastors get a housing allowance? | The Cripplegate

Pastors and other clergy have their ways. If you think they're paying what everyone else is paying then your are very much mistaken!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The whole page includes links to plenty of other sources.

What caused crisis? No one thing | PolitiFact

Politifact shows "no one thing" and there were multiple reasons. So you can try to blame Fannie and Freddie all you want, but economists disagree!
Well, I was disagreeing with someone who said it was all the banks' fault, so I guess we're even now, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies