Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
For the second time:

Government allows the privilege of marriage as a way to recognize that two people are entering into a contract with each other that lists immunities and privileges between the two (like being protected from testifying against your spouse). If you want to throw out government recognition of the rights of married couples, then you're by definition stepping on the rights of others.
You are incorrect. No one gets their rights because they are married. You get your rights at birth as an individual. No one, I repeat, no one has a right to get married.

Government giving someone the OKAY to get married? Do you know how stupid that sounds? rhetorical you don't.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You do not have a right to get married.

Because they are individuals not because they belong to a group. That's what you continue to miss.

marriage is not a right. Quit forcing others to accept marriage

no one has the right to force their beliefs on others. Beliefs and rights are two different things. Thats what you dont get. Probably because you're too busy shoving your beliefs down everyones throats.

I'm not stopping two people in love from getting married. I'm banning others from shoving thier beliefs down my throat and forcing me (others) to accept it. I'm not stopping two people in love from getting married. Thats what you don't get.
No one is FORCING anything on you by getting married. PERIOD.

No one is FORCING their beliefs on you by getting married. PERIOD.

I (an individual female, American citizen) do not have the same right to marry a woman like a man can. My individual right to equal protection of the law id being denied. Better?

If you have an issue with marriage being called a right, take it up with the supreme court. They are the ones that have said marriage is a right in 14 separate cases.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:27 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,587 times
Quote:
You are incorrect. No one gets their rights because they are married. You get your rights at birth as an individual. No one, I repeat, no one has a right to get married.

Government giving someone the OKAY to get married? Do you know how stupid that sounds? rhetorical you don't.
Okay... so we should just throw out contract law then, because those aren't rights. Government enforces contract laws as a way to protect your rights, not take them away. That's what government recognition of "marriage" is, a way to protect the natural rights of spouses, agreeing to be spouses, and all of the legal protections it provides.

But government is giving the okay to get married, and discriminating on the basis of sex. You take away the discrimination on the basis of sex, then you are taking away an avenue that government can deny a marriage.

It's not rhetoric, it's fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If that were so then why is this even a controversial issue? Obviously, it's a matter of opinion what so-called rights someone has no matter how one wants to twist the Constitution to extend all kinds of so-called rights to everyone for anything. Let Obama make a big announcement in his next state of the union address then that gay marriage is a constitutional right and that all states are obligated to honor it. After all, isn't he as president obligated to make sure that the Constitution is followed/enforced? No more laws banning SSM should even be allowed to be brought to a vote then. What's stopping him?
No need. The supreme court will be making the decision on the constitutionality of SSM bans in June. That is their job.

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Hi fellow coon-ass!!
Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
You are incorrect. No one gets their rights because they are married. You get your rights at birth as an individual.
That's just a bizarre statement. Spousal privilege in court (to grab one example) is absolutely your right under the law, and you only get to exercise that right if you're married.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No one is FORCING anything on you by getting married. PERIOD.

No one is FORCING their beliefs on you by getting married. PERIOD.
You are forcing me to accept it. My business has to pay spousal benefits to homosexual marriages. Why post when you don't get it?

Quote:
I (an individual female, American citizen) do not have the same right to marry a woman like a man can.
Because marriage isnt a right. Heterosexuals do not have a right to get married.

Quote:
My individual right to equal protection of the law is being denied. Better?
Only because government has "allowed" heterosexuals to marry do homosexuals get to marry also.

Quote:
If you have an issue with marriage being called a right, take it up with the supreme court. They are the ones that have said marriage is a right in 14 separate cases.
Again no one has a right to marry. Look up the definition instead of being a lemming. "because someone said so"

Old 02-10-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Keep avoiding the issue. Ands thats people like you, thinking you are moral, forcing your bs down others throats. Learn what a right is then get back to me.
I'm sorry that you don't like anti-discrimination laws for public accommodations. Go try to get them removed if you think they are unfair.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's just a bizarre statement. Spousal privilege in court (to grab one example) is absolutely your right under the law, and you only get to exercise that right if you're married.
That's just a bizarre statement. You are comparing two things that are not comparable. Keep trying it's funny.

plus You have no idea why the ruling is there.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
You are forcing me to accept it. My business has to pay spousal benefits to homosexual marriages. Why post when you don't get it?

Because marriage isnt a right. Heterosexuals do not have a right to get married.

Only because government has "allowed" heterosexuals to marry do homosexuals get to marry also.

Again no one has a right to marry. Look up the definition instead of being a lemming. "because someone said so"
"Whaaaaa! I have to follow the law!!!! I don't like it!!!! "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies