Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 03:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Just look at the ruckus legalizing gay marriage in Alabama has caused. You have a state judge ordering people to disobey the federal ruling and NOT give out marriage certificates.
That's called states rights. Ever hear of it?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who said anything about Christians? I certainly didn't. SSM isn't an equal rights issue, IMO. Otherwise under the guise of equal rights whether you are a minority or not you could claim equal rights for any bizarre thing you desire. It could get ridiculous after awhile.
Well, too bad because so far there are 25+ judges that disagree with your understanding of the constitutional issue.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:02 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who said anything about Christians? I certainly didn't. SSM isn't an equal rights issue, IMO. Otherwise under the guise of equal rights whether you are a minority or not you could claim equal rights for any bizarre thing you desire. It could get ridiculous after awhile.
Yes, if the bizarre thing is offered to others, then equal rights means that you get them too. How this is not an equal rights issue is beyond me. When you are not allowing men to marry men, you are discriminating on the basis of their sex, dictating that only *women* can marry men. The opposite is true for women - in that if you do not allow women to marry women, you care discriminating on the right of a female to marry a female.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
States do not have the right to violate the constitution. 14th amendment, ever hear of it?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Does the South always have to be the last area of the country to achieve social progress and be forced by the federal government to adapt these changes despite the opposition from its conservative politicians. From integration to education to gay rights it always seems like the South lags far behind the rest of the country. Will it always be this way or will the federal government always have to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era?

And for those who say I don't understand the South I lived in North Carolina from age 6 to age 26.
Government has a small defined role. Quit using force to push your BS on others.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
For the 90th time, the 14th amendment of the constitution bars states from legally discriminating against people on the basis of *fill in the blank* ... The fill in the blank part in this instance is sex ... and sex is a protected class from discrimination as per the Civil Rights Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
States do not have the right to violate the constitution. 14th amendment, ever hear of it?
Staes do not have a right to violate others rights. Ever hear of the rights of the individual. Who am I kidding, you don't know what a right is.

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Does the South always have to be the last area of the country to achieve social progress and be forced by the federal government to adapt these changes despite the opposition from its conservative politicians. From integration to education to gay rights it always seems like the South lags far behind the rest of the country. Will it always be this way or will the federal government always have to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era?

And for those who say I don't understand the South I lived in North Carolina from age 6 to age 26.
No. For some, secession would be preferred to the imposition of liberal state ideology. Short of secession, nullification is the next best tool... even better than the current Administration.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Staes do not have a right to violate others rights. Ever hear of the rights of the individual. Who am I kidding, you don't know what a right is.
You aren't kidding anybody. I don't think anybody buys that. If they do, they do not understand the constitution, its standing in law, or the process in which the states can change the constitution.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Well, too bad because so far there are 25+ judges that disagree with your understanding of the constitutional issue.
Where in the constitution does it give Congress the power to say who can and cannot get married? No one has a right to get married. They have a right to live their free and unencumbered as long as they do not step on the rights of others. Like I said you don't know what a right is so how can you know what is or isn't constitutional? Because someone said? Like prohibition or Jim Crow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies