Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Government has a small defined role. Quit using force to push your BS on others.
The federal judiciary has the role of determining the constitutionality of state laws. That is what they have done.
No one is pushing anything on you. You do not have to marry someone of the same sex if you don't want to.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
You aren't kidding anybody. I don't think anybody buys that. If they do, they do not understand the constitution, its standing in law, or the process in which the states can change the constitution.
You didn't say anything. Government has a small defined role. Protecting the rights of the individual is one of them. One size doasn't fit all. Ever hear of diversity and how well that works?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Staes do not have a right to violate others rights. Ever hear of the rights of the individual. Who am I kidding, you don't know what a right is.
Allowing same sex couples to marry does not violate your rights. Gay people have individual rights too, and that includes the right to get married, and the right to equal protection under of law. Or did you believe that banning OTHER people from doing something was one of your rights?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The federal judiciary has the role of determining the constitutionality of state laws. That is what they have done.
No one is pushing anything on you. You do not have to marry someone of the same sex if you don't want to.
ahh but yes they are. In my business I am forced, FORCED, to accept it.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Did y'all know that the Pilgrims didn't believe in ANY state sanctioned marriage? They didn't believe the state had any right in the private and sacramental relationship of marriage. They didn't believe that the state had to be involved in any way other than to recognize a legal civil union.

I just thought that was interesting.

I don't like it when ANYONE tries to push their definition of marriage onto me. Personally, I think this was one of the few things the Pilgrims got right.

CIVIL UNIONS FOR EVERYONE (over the age of consent, that is). Unionize 'em all - let God sort them out.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
For the 90th time, the 14th amendment of the constitution bars states from legally discriminating against people on the basis of *fill in the blank* ... The fill in the blank part in this instance is sex ... and sex is a protected class from discrimination as per the Civil Rights Act.
For the 91st time governments role is deciding in the PUBLIC sector not the private sector on that issue. If we listened to lemmings like you we'd still be under British control.

You're Jim Crow and the sad part is you don't see your blatant hypocrisy. All because you know whats best.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Like prohibition or Jim Crow?
Funny you should mention Jim Crow - as it's a shining example of the South having to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age. See, Jim Crow laws were state laws, and the Feds had to, once again, take on the unpleasant task of teaching Johnny Southerner the error of his ways. When they were challenged on Constitutionality, they fell. And the same states whined on about states' rights and how they were being trampled underfoot by Washington.

Just like now.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Where in the constitution does it give Congress the power to say who can and cannot get married? No one has a right to get married. They have a right to live their free and unencumbered as long as they do not step on the rights of others. Like I said you don't know what a right is so how can you know what is or isn't constitutional? Because someone said? Like prohibition or Jim Crow?
Judges are not congress. Judges have the job of determining the constitutionality of laws passed by states.
These judges have ruled overwhelmingly that bans on same sex marriage violate the 14th amendment equal protection clause.

But I suppose YOU know more than 25+ judges about the constitution. Maybe you should write them and offer to educate them.

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
Quote:
Where in the constitution does it give Congress the power to say who can and cannot get married? No one has a right to get married. They have a right to live their free and unencumbered as long as they do not step on the rights of others. Like I said you don't know what a right is so how can you know what is or isn't constitutional? Because someone said? Like prohibition or Jim Crow?
Quote:
You didn't say anything. Government has a small defined role. Protecting the rights of the individual is one of them. One size doasn't fit all. Ever hear of diversity and how well that works?
For the second time:

Quote:
That's right. Civil rights be damned!

You realize that there are amendments after the 10th, right? Those are every bit as valid as anything in the US Constitution. Including the 14th. Here is the text in question, I've underlined the important parts for your convenience (and for dramatic effect):

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
Government allows the privilege of marriage as a way to recognize that two people are entering into a contract with each other that lists immunities and privileges between the two (like being protected from testifying against your spouse). If you want to throw out government recognition of the rights of married couples, then you're by definition stepping on the rights of others.

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
I've heard many were part black.
Wow, I can't believe I missed this jewel.

You heard that many Cajuns (Acadians) were part black? Acadians are people of French descent. You're confusing terms - which isn't surprising, now that I think of it. You must mean "Creoles."

Even so - so what? Get a DNA test - you might be in for a few surprises yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies