Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayahuasca_mike View Post
Technically here in the states slavery was merely one strategy in winning the Civil War. The end of slavery tanked the southern economy and cotton producing powerhouse. To say whites didn't have to end it but they did is a bit elitist, just as many died to keep it going as did to "end it".
If a fact is "elitist," it is still a fact.

Whites ended slavery thoughout most of the world.

No one else did so or was about to do so.

Take it for what you will.

Quote:
...The Civil Rights Movement was a chance at reconciliation, yet such a large portion of this country opposed it violently. Why is that?
It was mostly opposed in the south.

You'd have to ask the people who opposed it why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So everything for you comes down to looks?

Is that it?
What's so hard to understand? She said that white romantic movies, magazines, TV were everywhere when she was growing up. Still is to this day. It must have felt glorious to black ppl to see Diana Ross with a hot romantic love interest in Lady sings the Blues, Mahogany , even Mandiingo, after being effectively neutered by Jewish Hollywood for decades.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 AM

1,006 posts, read 736,122 times
Quote:
If a fact is "elitist," it is still a fact.

Whites ended slavery thoughout most of the world.

No one else did so or was about to do so.

Take it for what you will.

It was mostly opposed in the south.

You'd have to ask the people who opposed it why.
Your "fact" wasn't refuted. But seeing as how slavery was exported by whites and kept going by whites it would be impossible for anyone else to "end it". I'm not understanding the significance of your post, unless you are indeed feeling a certain level of elitism. Fact is YOU didn't end it, some dead old white guys decided it was the only way to win a war against other white guys.

My great great grandfather buried hundreds of confederacy soldiers daily because he was not allowed to fight. Trash detail and and digging graves was his contribution to freeing slaves...do you think that was because white union soldiers and generals wanted to protect him from harm?

And being "mostly opposed in the south" isn't true. My mom is from Albany, dad is from Dearborn. Ask them if it was "mostly" opposed in the south. You seem ok in justifying past sore points in American history instead if simply accepting and admitting it happened and educating yourself as to why. But I understand, it aint your problem right?

And I'm struggling to see the significance of your patting on the backs of white men who "ended slavery". You speak as if they simply had a moment of introspection and decided it was wrong. And it was not ended around the world as a result of white actions, it was ended around the world as a result of reprisal and uprisings. Something that never really happened here despite there being several opportunities. If whites simply had a change of heart then the civil rights movement would have gone much more smoothly instead of the covert and open war campaigns by the CIA and other governmental institutions towards fellow Americans who happen to be black. Its a bit difficult to reconcile these things when generations have past and I'm afraid race relations in the states will always be screwed up as a result.

And lets not forget about the black babies being used as gator bait as recently as the 50's, and the novelty toys made as a result of these actions. You really aren't doing yourself a favor by acting as if you've helped us out.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 02-16-2015 at 01:07 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Your "fact" wasn't refuted. But seeing as how slavery was exported by whites and kept going by whites it would be impossible for anyone else to "end it".
Wrong.

It existed throughout the Muslim world and was stopped by white colonists. It existed in other places and was stopped by white colonists.

And there was no law forcing non-whites to have slaves. So yes, non-whites were perfectly free not to have them is they so chose. They did not so choose.

Slavery was not just a "white thing." It existed for centuries throughout the world.

Quote:
I'm not understanding the significance of your post, unless you are indeed feeling a certain level of elitism. Fact is YOU didn't end it, some dead old white guys decided it was the only way to win a war against other white guys.
I didn't say I ended it. I said whites ended it.

And I was not just talking about the Civil War and the United States.

Did you even read through this thread?

Quote:
And being "mostly opposed in the south" isn't true. My mom is from Albany, dad is from Dearborn. Ask them if it was "mostly" opposed in the south.
Well, you asked me when it seems you already "knew" the answer.

Why would you do that?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
My people were never slaves. Instead, our land was taken from us, our women and children butchered and we were treated like animals, but you won't hear my people still crying over the history of over a century ago. Living without pride is a disease that spreads and can engulf a people.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
What's so hard to understand? She said that white romantic movies, magazines, TV were everywhere when she was growing up. Still is to this day. It must have felt glorious to black ppl to see Diana Ross with a hot romantic love interest in Lady sings the Blues, Mahogany , even Mandiingo, after being effectively neutered by Jewish Hollywood for decades.
That's great.

But I don't think that justifies calling the dominance of "white" standards of beauty "white supremacist programming."

I think the moral of the story here is that people tend to be attracted to what they grew up with.

There's nothing sinister about that.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My people were never slaves. Instead, our land was taken from us, our women and children butchered and we were treated like animals, but you won't hear my people still crying over the history of over a century ago. Living without pride is a disease that spreads and can engulf a people.
Its not about living without pride, this was the thread topic. Race relations are awful because of the actions of a few. And if you are Native American as I'm assuming I wouldn't be so quick to claim pride when your entire land was strip and your people restricted to reservations. I've long understood and wish for Native American leadership in this country. Environmentally conscience people who take only what they need from this planet. You shouldn't be so quick to assume one is merely crying nor should you assume there is a lack of pride.

And this history I refer to, the Civil Rights movement was merely 50-60 years ago and the results affect your and I. My only point was to refute the posters claims and encourage thorough understanding of this countries sorted past. Not doing so will result in the same events occurring as we can observe throughout history.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 02-16-2015 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Africa wouldn't need to be built up if Europeans didn't spend the last five centuries pillaging its human and natural resources.
Uh; are you sure about that unless talking about along the coasts? Word was there were some real nasty diseases that were fatal to "white" people more than a few miles inland in most of Africa. Too; it was NOT the European white people who captured the slaves; it was other Black groups who did that and SOLD their own "kind".

Tho the white people who did most of the damage in parts of Africa were the Arabs; but, they ain't "European".

Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Wrong.

It existed throughout the Muslim world and was stopped by white colonists. It existed in other places and was stopped by white colonists.

And there was no law forcing non-whites to have slaves. So yes, non-whites were perfectly free not to have them is they so chose. They did not so choose.

Slavery was not just a "white thing." It existed for centuries throughout the world.

I didn't say I ended it. I said whites ended it.

And I was not just talking about the Civil War and the United States.

Did you even read through this thread?

Well, you asked me when it seems you already "knew" the answer.

Why would you do that?
I read your post, and that's why i made sure to note the Civil War as an example. No ones expecting an apology from you or any other white person, equally you shouldn't behave as if slavery met its demise at the hands of whites. It was constant threat of reprisal and uprisings around the world that ended it, even in Muslim nations. Whites played on the slavery strings to gain influence and disrupt Muslims nations. Endorse the oppressed to conquered and split powers of those in control. The Communist attempted this among blacks here in the states during the Civil Rights movement, Nixon himself saw the threat of Communist influence. What your stating is no different. Again, its not like they simply had a change of heart.

We see the same in Ukraine, although the Russian population was not being oppressed the illusion of such has driven a wedge between people who once considered each other brothers.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Its not about living without pride, this was the thread topic. Race relations are awful because of the actions of a few. And if you are native american as I'm assuming I would be so quick to claim pride when your entire land was strip and you put on reservations. I've long understood and wish for Native American leadership in this country. Environmentally conscience people who take only what they need from this planet. You shouldn't be so quick to assume one is merely crying nor should you assume there is a lack of pride.

And this history I refer to, the Civil Rights movement was merely 50-60 years ago and the results affect your and I. My only point was to refute the posters claims and encourage thorough understanding of this countries sorted past. Not doing so will result in the same events occurring as we can observe throughout history.
My race is human. I am not an American Indian, I am an American. I don't need to waste my time on tragedies of the past, but look to the future. What I have learned is to assimilate. My heritage is my own and no-one can take it away, but my future is in my hands not in the hands of another race or culture. If we are to survive as a people we must put aside our differences and move forward together. Our so called leaders of all races seek to divide us all. By dividing us, it empowers them. When they are empowered we all suffer at their hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies