Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:11 AM

963 posts, read 690,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Most of the people you see strutting around in these outfits don't have the body for it.
the ones I see do, and I thank them for it. I have yet to see a man walking around in a speedo. And I that them for THAT too!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, in your own words, it's bad for the repubs...but when the dems do it...."everyone brings home the bacon."
It's the difference between "trying to provide jobs for your CONSTITUENTS" vs simply wasting time with absolutely POINTLESS laws that don't really benefit ANYONE".
There may be a lot of negative things about "Pork" but at least it provides financial benefit for folks in the representative's district (which is arguably WHY they are sent to DC to begin with). Laws like the "Defense of Marriage Act" and making burning a US flag a federal crime were simply a complete waste of time and government money.

Ken

Old 02-14-2015, 07:05 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's the difference between "trying to provide jobs for your CONSTITUENTS" vs simply wasting time with absolutely POINTLESS laws that don't really benefit ANYONE".
There may be a lot of negative things about "Pork" but at least it provides financial benefit for folks in the representative's district (which is arguably WHY they are sent to DC to begin with). Laws like the "Defense of Marriage Act" and making burning a US flag a federal crime were simply a complete waste of time and government money.

Ken
Very telling that you view government as a rolled over brinks truck to be looted by congressmen that are the fleetest of foot.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You have to ask yourself, why has it changed so many times. Why has it taken so long to implement?

Is it SO large, that people just don't care?

Apparently, people maybe waiting for full implementation prior to judging.

Which leads us back to, if it's so great, why wait?

And at this point, the same amount of people will still not have insurance before and after implementation....
Any piece of major legislation like the ACA takes time to implement - and that's the way it SHOULD be (it IS after all a complicated issue). Social Security was signed into law in 1935 but it wasn't until 1937 that payroll taxes started to be collected and 1942 that benefits started to be paid.

As Obamacare starts to provide real benefits for people, public opinion of the law will improve (we are already starting to see that).

Your claim that "at this point, the same amount of people will still not have insurance before and after implementation" is dead wrong. Including the Medicaid expansion part of the law, roughly 20 MILLION additional Americans had health insurance last year. That's a significant achievement - especially for those 20 million.

ACASignups.net | Tracking Enrollments for the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare)

Ken

Old 02-14-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Very telling that you view government as a rolled over brinks truck to be looted by congressmen that are the fleetest of foot.
That's what HAPPENS.
Do you DENY that HAPPENS?
You seem to live in a dream world - and it shows.
Reality is what reality is - and the reality is, most reps are sent to DC to "bring home the bacon". Whether it's good or not, it's the American way.
I never said I liked it, I never said that's the way it SHOULD be - simply that that's the way it IS.
All I'm doing is recognizing reality.

Ken

Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
It's ok, after the amendments were pulled, he said he was only joking.

Montana lawmaker who was pilloried for wanting to outlaw yoga pants says he was joking | National Post

Now he is pushing a bill to abolish the death penalty.
Effort reborn to abolish death penalty in Montana

Old 02-14-2015, 07:27 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Any piece of major legislation like the ACA takes time to implement - and that's the way it SHOULD be (it IS after all a complicated issue). Social Security was signed into law in 1935 but it wasn't until 1937 that payroll taxes started to be collected and 1942 that benefits started to be paid.
The ACA was meant to cover everyone, SS was based on paying in to be taken care of later....

Quote:
As Obamacare starts to provide real benefits for people, public opinion of the law will improve (we are already starting to see that).
Doubtful, when people learn they won't be receiving their tax refund when they don't have insurance....

Again, full implementation has not been accomplished....it's changed how many times, and delayed how many times, and delayed because of elections....sounds great to me...

Quote:
Your claim that "at this point, the same amount of people will still not have insurance before and after implementation" is dead wrong. Including the Medicaid expansion part of the law, roughly 20 MILLION additional Americans had health insurance last year. That's a significant achievement - especially for those 20 million.

ACASignups.net | Tracking Enrollments for the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare)

Ken
Sorry the CBO disagrees with you, pay special attention to page 3, those -19, -24, -26 are million of people still without insurance up through 2025....

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fi...-ACAtables.pdf

Lets also remember what obama campaigned on way back in the beginning...

Obama Unveils Universal Health Care Plan - CBS News

Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said. "If you are one of 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will after this plan becomes law."

So I guess in one case you are right, thee are only 25 million still uninsured and not 45 million....

Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
David Moore, Montana lawmaker, seeks ban on yoga pants in public - Washington Times

A Montana lawmaker, Republican David Moore, says tight-fitting clothing like yoga pants and Speedos press right up against indecency laws and ought to be banned.

So he’s introduced a bill that would prohibit the public wearing of clothing items that “give the realistic appearance” of parts of a person’s anatomy that should be left completely to the imagination, the Billings Gazette reported.
"Camel toe" anyone? He's right. And Speedo's are as bad.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

As an aside, I'll bet Mr. Moore was secretly wearing women's panties when he introduced the bill.
Perhaps alluding to one of your fetishes?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh, that's right, I forget… Republicans are also ironically the ones obsessed with "Sharia Law"!

Personhood, gay marriage, Sharia Law part of new GOP platform
Sure, let's change the subject to Sharia Law. Do you even know what that would mean for America? I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies