Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 03:13 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Have you ever thought about asking any of these Jewish people that live around you? I am sure they will give you an answer towards this question you have. Also, if you have heard reasons from various people, including Jewish people themselves, then why are those reasons not good enough for you? Is it because they aren't saying what you want to hear?
Do examples like guilt or self loathing sound like plausible/realistic answers to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Being from south Florida where there are lots of Jews (probably only 2nd to NY in numbers), I have often wondered why they blindly vote for the modern (D) party?
I have heard various reasons, even from some Jews themselves. However none of the answers really seemed to be a reasoned universal explanation.

I just came across this video, and it is an interesting take on the subject;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Iq...em-subs_digest

So what do you think about the reason/s and the ideas proffered in the video?

`

Because most of them are liberal.

That was easy.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:37 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Wow, before I can even get to specific posts/questions, I must have touched a nerve with agnostics/atheists. I suppose this thread can be viewed from a general religious lens, but it is not meant to focus on religion (belief or non belief in God) so much. Yet the tone of the video I asked opinions about, does. So maybe that is why so many anti-religion posters are chiming in with their insulting comments.

As an FYI - when I say morals/family values I do not mean all non religious people are devoid of such things, and most should already understand that. Instead I merely point out that religious people who are engaged in political issues in this country align more with the (R) platform than the (D). Again a generalization, but true more times than not.

Of course for the koolaid drinkers who wish to paint (R's) as some type of hateful anti-everybody group, it is no surprise why you feel the way you do. However I have not heard Jews making those type of comments in general, just the partisan political zealots. Not all (R's) are hardcore right wingers like the liberal media tries to portray, and some here have bought into. However when I hear Jews saying that a majority vote for (D's) because of self loathing and do it out of guilt, it makes no sense to me.

As to the notion it is not right to try and pigeon hole an entire group of people, that is not what is happening. If the split was more along the line of 50-50 or even 60-40 that would be one thing. Just as if someone were to ask why blacks vote (D) at 93%, there is obviously a reason, regardless of whether we can pin down exactly why.
Jews vote in large numbers for the (D's), and it seems counter intuitive in some ways. Jews are a very small minority in this country, nowhere near as large and diverse as Christians. Yet numbers show they vote in large part for (D's), not just in presidential elections either. So whether it is an anti (R) or pro (D) vote, I'd like to better understand why, hence the thread. The video is provocative, but I am not sure it is the primary reason, hence the thread.

`
There were no anti-religous posts that I noticed. Certainly anti religion/politics mixing posts from those who recognize how much success secular governments have had over religious ones. So if that's anti-religious to you then I am absolute anti-religious.

I know many devoted Christians who are unapologetically liberal. From my experience, both sides are plenty religious, however it's rare to hear a Democrat run ON being religious, where as Republicans will remind you every possibly chance how much they love Jesus. The also approach it differently. Moderate and liberal Christians are highly turned off of the Republican party when conservatives use the very same Bible they read every Sunday to justify far right social policy.

There are people who like to paint with a broad brush. I personally am more than aware that Republicans are plenty of diverse. Most of the Republicans I've met are kind, fairly moderate, and decent people. But here's the thing: you're assumption that Jews would vote Republican is ENTIRELY based on either religious views or Israel. That's a pretty broad brush to paint Jews with, seeing as you're basically assuming they all vote for who they vote for based on only two categories. There are so many political issues that people can attach themselves to. Maybe Jews support gay marriage or public education? Israel doesn't effect them and Jews, along with Buddhist, are probably the most secular religious group that's ever existed. They don't attach themselves to religion because of the Torah or Israel because Jews live there. They'll attach themselves to issues that effect them, and apparently they feel Democrats are more invested in those issues that Republicans.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Do examples like guilt or self loathing sound like plausible/realistic answers to you
I highly doubt a Jewish person you asked said they voted Democrat because they were guilty or self loathing. My bet is you haven't asked a single Jewish person about why they vote.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:09 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most Jewish people in the US do not identify with Israel.
What do you mean by, "identify with"?

"69 percent [of US Jews] say they feel an emotional attachment to Israel"

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/us...f-us-jews.html

Old 02-13-2015, 04:10 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke186 View Post

Your question boiled down to basics is "Why don't American Jews align themselves with a right wing party that has professed an allegiance to fundamentalist Christianity?".
^^^^^

The bottom line.

Most American Jews have not forgotten the "Country Club Republicans" who quietly despised them and discriminated against them.

The Jewish values of compassion, charity (tzedakah), tolerance, reform and progress (tikkun olam), respect for labor and understanding why there are unions, sympathy for minority groups (remember those Jewish boys who were killed in Mississippi for being involved in the civil rights struggle?), not being hostile to immigrants, supportive of the LGBT community (both LGBT rights and same sex marriage is legally recognized in Israel), advocates and supporters of both public education and affordable higher education, etc. do NOT put them at odds with the Republican Party but with the right-wing "Tea Party" faction of the Republican Party.

Jews in America are one of the wealthiest and most highly educated groups in America, as a community they are politically engaged and savvy, and have many reasons why they vote the way they do.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Nope.

If you want to think so, instead of taking in and understanding what quite a few people are telling you, you're free to do so.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What do you mean by, "identify with"?

"69 percent [of US Jews] say they feel an emotional attachment to Israel"

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/us...f-us-jews.html
You are right, kdog. That poster you quoted doesn't know what she's talking about.

Jew here. I vote Republican most of the time. 1/3 of us, in the US, are republicans and some others of my circle are starting to leave the Dems.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I highly doubt a Jewish person you asked said they voted Democrat because they were guilty or self loathing. My bet is you haven't asked a single Jewish person about why they vote.
As if you would believe anything that didn't fit into your preconceived notion, or as if I care whether you believe it or not.

---

I go with the assumption most people try to be honest and express their genuine viewpoint, right or wrong. Sure there are the partisan bots who feel the need to protect their team (from either party) without regard for the truth or being honest.
The fact is, I really don't care who believes me or not. Yet I get a kick out of some of these people who doubt you, only to find out they were wrong. On the internet you rarely get an apology or acknowledgment, but in real life most people have no choice but to be contrite.

For instance I run a car enthusiast website/forum, and for some people they live and breathe for a reduction in 1/10 of a second reduction in the quarter mile. So some make claims and others scoff at such notions.
Also people tend to think everyone is pretending to be 3 inches taller and have an extra 20lbs of muscle on the internet. So over the years I've had people claim my cars don't have XYZ, or that I am some tiny punk, not a 6'7" 240lbs jock that has an education.
Yet when then meet me in person at a show or event, they suddenly realize I am the genuine person I claimed to be. I have no reason to make things up or embellish, because life is interesting enough without all the drama that so many are use to on reality TV.
Naturally I have Jewish friends living in S FL and know a bunch more. Not all are liberal, with a couple being much more conservative that one might imagine. Still, between Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, most Jews are registered (D's) and vote the party line. Of course if someone is Jewish running for election they are a lock because sadly in this country, ethnic politics is the norm, not the exception. Personally I vote for the person, not their race/religion, but I guess I am in the minority.

Anyway, not all the (D) voting Jews I know are secular, so that part of the video does not jibe with my experience with S FL Jews. As to the guilt aspect, I do notice it in casual conversation when at a fancy club for an event. However it is not expressed as a specific reason to have a certain political persuasion as much as being a bleeding heart, because X group did not have the privileges upbringing that they did.
Still I do not buying into the conservative explanation/dismissal either of Jews just being liberals, therefore, /thread.
There has to be more to it, and some of the opinions thus far are worth considering. Then again I am not sure how many posters proffering ideas are Jewish themselves, or are close enough to Jews to have discussed the issue. Of course the atheists who just want to demean religion are not helpful on this subject when talking about the bible as a "book of fantasy" for example.

Regardless, I look forward to exploring this discussion further.

`

Old 02-13-2015, 06:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
As if you would believe anything that didn't fit into your preconceived notion, or as if I care whether you believe it or not.

---

I go with the assumption most people try to be honest and express their genuine viewpoint, right or wrong. Sure there are the partisan bots who feel the need to protect their team (from either party) without regard for the truth or being honest.
The fact is, I really don't care who believes me or not. Yet I get a kick out of some of these people who doubt you, only to find out they were wrong. On the internet you rarely get an apology or acknowledgment, but in real life most people have no choice but to be contrite.

For instance I run a car enthusiast website/forum, and for some people they live and breathe for a reduction in 1/10 of a second reduction in the quarter mile. So some make claims and others scoff at such notions.
Also people tend to think everyone is pretending to be 3 inches taller and have an extra 20lbs of muscle on the internet. So over the years I've had people claim my cars don't have XYZ, or that I am some tiny punk, not a 6'7" 240lbs jock that has an education.
Yet when then meet me in person at a show or event, they suddenly realize I am the genuine person I claimed to be. I have no reason to make things up or embellish, because life is interesting enough without all the drama that so many are use to on reality TV.
Naturally I have Jewish friends living in S FL and know a bunch more. Not all are liberal, with a couple being much more conservative that one might imagine. Still, between Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, most Jews are registered (D's) and vote the party line. Of course if someone is Jewish running for election they are a lock because sadly in this country, ethnic politics is the norm, not the exception. Personally I vote for the person, not their race/religion, but I guess I am in the minority.

Anyway, not all the (D) voting Jews I know are secular, so that part of the video does not jibe with my experience with S FL Jews. As to the guilt aspect, I do notice it in casual conversation when at a fancy club for an event. However it is not expressed as a specific reason to have a certain political persuasion as much as being a bleeding heart, because X group did not have the privileges upbringing that they did.
Still I do not buying into the conservative explanation/dismissal either of Jews just being liberals, therefore, /thread.
There has to be more to it, and some of the opinions thus far are worth considering. Then again I am not sure how many posters proffering ideas are Jewish themselves, or are close enough to Jews to have discussed the issue. Of course the atheists who just want to demean religion are not helpful on this subject when talking about the bible as a "book of fantasy" for example.

Regardless, I look forward to exploring this discussion further.

`
You are right, I do not believe that you have ever asked Jewish people why they vote the way they vote, especially seeing you said it was because they felt guilty or self loathing. No one ever gives those kinds of responses when it comes to why do they vote the way they vote.

This entire thread is based on a fictional view you have towards a specific group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies