Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I still support the public option. Or a National Medicaid and/or Medicare. And keep the privates that can find business where it is desired.

I never said it would be particularly good for the private hospitals. But our local hospital makes good money with Medicare. Of course it all will depend on reimbursements down the line. Today outpatient fees make it all happen.
The real issue is perception vs reality. People think they can still have access to the private system the same way they have today. 65% have employer sponsored private onsurance. Another 15% have Medicare.

So essentially 80% of us population enjoy access to private system. Under single payer/UHC. You essentially are acknowledging the private world will shrink dramatically "keep the privates that can find business where it is desired"

My personal opinion is if US goes single payer. We will have less thAn 10% private system access.

So that means the 80% of the U.S. population with access to private health care today. 70% of them will lose that option for private health care and be re assigned to the same system people currently on Medicaid have access to along with various tricare and other govt insurance. A much more restricted network under UHC.

You think pokiticans will have to lie up their butts again by telling those 70% that they can keep their same health care. Americans are pretty stupid. But they aren't that stupid to think UHC won't change their access to a more limited one.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:49 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
No, they don't.

Medicaid repays AWFULLY. Hospitals aren't going to be staying afloat with medicaid/medicare repayments.
I said Medicare. Medicaid for us is about a wash. The hospitals can float if we the people and/or our elected official allow it in reimbursements.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The real issue is perception vs reality. People think they can still have access to the private system the same way they have today. 65% have employer sponsored private onsurance. Another 15% have Medicare.

So essentially 80% of us population enjoy access to private system. Under single payer/UHC. You essentially are acknowledging the private world will shrink dramatically "keep the privates that can find business where it is desired"

My personal opinion is if US goes single payer. We will have less thAn 10% private system access.

So that means the 80% of the U.S. population with access to private health care today. 70% of them will lose that option for private health care and be re assigned to the same system people currently on Medicaid have access to along with various tricare and other govt insurance. A much more restricted network under UHC.

You think pokiticans will have to lie up their butts again by telling those 70% that they can keep their same health care. Americans are pretty stupid. But they aren't that stupid to think UHC won't change their access to a more limited one.
Private carriers are different discussion than private providers. There would continue to be niche needs for private carriers. But many of us private docs would continue to service Medicare and a public option if we get good enough reimbursements. And those fees would be dependent on we the people and our elected officials. As has been so often for so long in HC.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
No matter how much people insist on blinding themselves to the truth, adequate healthcare is a right - an unfulfilled right for many, but a right all-the-same. Repeated denials just underscore the extent to which the opposition perspective is built solely on lies.
Quote:
Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If you oppose health care reform (the inferior Obamacare, or much preferred single-payer model), please list your reasons for doing so.

I oppose universal health care as a right for every American citizen because:

Good luck.
I oppose because it is 1,600 pages of bull that they didn't even read before they passed it.

I oppose because it is yet more bureaucracy in an overloaded system.

I oppose because it is mandatory, eliminating freedom of choice in America.

I oppose because it is mandatory insurance, not applied to actual care. (and insurance is a for profit business after all)

I oppose it because it singles out winners and losers in the device /equipment industry.

I oppose it because our president and congress won't use it.

I oppose it because it didn't fix the broken emergency room system.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:25 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No matter how much people insist on blinding themselves to the truth, adequate healthcare is a right - an unfulfilled right for many, but a right all-the-same. Repeated denials just underscore the extent to which the opposition perspective is built solely on lies.The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
And I'm here to tell you it is not. Those without means have always been cared for out of charity or with various well-meaning government programs.
A right? No.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
And I'm here to tell you it is not. Those without means have always been cared for out of charity or with various well-meaning government programs.
A right? No.
The new normal:

Quote:
Wolf Blitzer put a terrific question to Rep. Ron Paul at last night's CNN/Tea Party Express Republican debate in Tampa, Fla. What should happen, the moderator asked hypothetically, if a healthy 30-year-old man who can afford insurance chooses not to buy it—and then becomes catastrophically ill and needs intensive care for six months? When Dr. Paul ducked, fondly recalling the good old days before Medicare and saying that we should all take responsibility for ourselves, Blitzer pressed the point. "But, Congressman, are you saying the society should just let him die?" At that point, the rabble erupted in cheers and whoops of "Yeah!"
"Let him die": A debate question exposes the incoherence—and cowardice—of the Republican candidates' opposition to Obamacare.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
And I'm here to tell you it is not.
Who to believe? You, someone with a vested interest to support a perspective inclined against the less fortunate, or the entirety of the world community in consensus, including our own nation that ratified the statement.

Sorry but you lose in that crucible.

Precisely. Paul shows that he knows how immoral the perspective he peddles is by refusing to answer, but his supporters reveal the true colors of the right-wing: Somewhere between indefensibly callous and unabashedly blood-thirsty.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No matter how much people insist on blinding themselves to the truth, adequate healthcare is a right - an unfulfilled right for many, but a right all-the-same. Repeated denials just underscore the extent to which the opposition perspective is built solely on lies.The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
LOL. I'll be more than willing to apply what we send to the U.N. for health care. Seems a fine trade off.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL. I'll be more than willing to apply what we send to the U.N. for health care. Seems a fine trade off.
It's odd how that's not on the negotiating table? How unusual. Short on pragmatic solutions & long on sound bites. Carry on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies