Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 02:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've noted my minimum wage experiences in this thread. How I bought a house and started raising my family on it. But like all stories it isn't complete.

At this time I could also buy hot dogs at the local dairy mart at 4/1.00. Minimum wage has slightly more than doubled since then. What's a hot dog cost? Can you buy even one for a $1.00 now? I can, maybe a little less. What is the increase in price?
Maybe you should sell hot dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 02:48 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,387,385 times
Quote:
We have covered that. That is not the answer. As someone in the middle class I should not have to pay more for everything so that those that got bailed out can maintain their position.
But you are paying for it any way you go. With higher prices you'll get strong economic growth. Lower cost of insurance taxes etc. There is a trade off. If we keep going as we are you'll pay with it with stagnant growth, high stress, and social unrest.
Quote:

The answer is simply making all income taxed at the same rate.
The rich will game a system to their advantage. The simplest way to tax the rich those that got the bailouts is with inflation. They have been getting a free ride with it for a long time. If you up the minimum wage 5% a year and target 2% inflation that will very nicely put the squeeze on the top. It is very hard to game the system that way.
Quote:
There is a valid argument for bump in the minimum wage but that's it. A bump.
No there isn't, give the bottom access to compound interest. Compounded wages. The top use to get 10% a year yield with out work. That works out to 5% to spend and 5% to grow the principle. What is fair for the top should be fair for the bottom. Give them 5% more a year.
Quote:

You are arguing for the extreme position that those who did get their bail outs argued for. Two wrongs don't make a right. It just makes more problems.
We chose to blow a debt bubble when we went for Ronald Reagan's supply side economics. The bill is due. How you pay for it is up for debate. Inflation has the benefit of putting everyone to work. Writing off the debts as bad puts a lot of people out of work for a long time. Lots of pain. Inflation will have its own kind of pain but everyone will be working as we have it.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:50 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-linear View Post
25-35% of college grads work in low wage jobs. And I'm adduming you know for a fact that all mcworkers dropped out of high school? Regardless of what a "fair" wage is you're making assumptions that don't ring true.
They could have studied engineering and then they would make more.

They could have studied accounting and then they would make more.

They could have studied pre-med, gone on to a good med school, and then they would make more.

They could have studied pre-law, gone on to a good law school, and then they would make more.

Nobody is entitled to a good job. That's not how it works.

Life is full of choices. Sorry if they suck at life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-linear View Post
And the argument of the difficulty level of work has little to do with wage. What's harder, standing on your feet for 8 hours lifting heavy things or sitting on your ass while everybody makes money for you? I'll give you a guess which pays more money.
Really?

What's harder... spending a decade in college to become a surgeon or a trial lawyer with no income, no free time, no life outside of school/work, while studying/working your ass off...

OR... taking a job lifting heavy boxes and getting paid immediately to do so.

I'm going with the doctor/lawyer option.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Maybe you should sell hot dogs.
I do. I help run the concession stand for the high school band boosters.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
But you are paying for it any way you go. With higher prices you'll get strong economic growth.
We've covered that. Your solution to that is pie in the sky. I'm not wasting the time to do it again.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

They could have studied accounting and then they would make more.

They could have studied pre-med, gone on to a good med school, and then they would make more.

They could have studied pre-law, gone on to a good law school, and then they would make more.

Nobody is entitled to a good job. That's not how it works.

Life is full of choices. Sorry if they suck at life.
So everyone can fit in the top 1%?

I thought only 1% could be in the top1%.

The lot of the rest is what matters.
Quote:

Really?

What's harder... spending a decade in college to become a surgeon or a trial lawyer with no income, no free time, no life outside of school/work, while studying/working your ass off...

OR... taking a job lifting heavy boxes and getting paid immediately to do so.

I'm going with the doctor/lawyer option.
The bottom of the world needs a raise.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
This has been covered also. No, they all could not. The country still only needs so many engineers, accountants, etc.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
We've covered that. Your solution to that is pie in the sky. I'm not wasting the time to do it again.
I agree with you about not wasting any more time on it. 5% a year is fair. that is it. and everyone in the world getting it is fair too. Or at least the people making stuff to be made here.

A flat tax wont stay flat for long. FDR had it set up to grow the middle. The top undid it over time. If you want something the top can't undo over time then up the minimum wage 5% a year. And put it in the constitution.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
I agree with you about not wasting any more time on it. 5% a year is fair. that is it. and everyone in the world getting it is fair too. Or at least the people making stuff to be made here.
Unicorn farts.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
I do. I help run the concession stand for the high school band boosters.
I meant for profit. Concessions don't count. You know we price gouge to make more money for our cause. I do concessions for science club and charge $1 for a small bag of popcorn I get for free from the local theater (many theaters will give you a big bag of popcorn if you come the night before you need it at closing time). I can't sell hot dogs because we don't have a venders license. Instead we order pizza and sell it by the slice at twice the price. We double our money on everything we sell and we buy retail.

I'll have to look to see what the hot dog venders outside the hardware store charge for a hot dog. They must do well. I see them there every weekend when I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies