Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 03:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,699,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
All good questions. To my knowledge none of my ancestors owned slaves. Do I have to pay anyway just because I have white skin? Since when should anyone be held accountable for what their ancestors did or didn't do anyway? I am an individual and am only responsible for my own actions. I never owned any slaves and in fact in my day I helped fight for civil rights for blacks.
Everyone says their ancestors never owned slaves..........until they find out that they did.

And nobody is asking you to be accountable for what your ancestors did or did not do.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,670,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am just talking about how whites used race, militarism, colonization, slavery and the like to lift up the masses of white people at the expense of non-whites. That is recorded history....not me making everything about race. Yes, the rules of the game have changed now. Blacks can become rich too. Look at Dr. Dre, the ex rapper of NWA now a billionaire from his "Beats" headphones deal with apple. I am not saying that blacks are still prevented from making it to the top. I am explaining why blacks are not at the top and bottom at the same percentage that whites are and how reparations, with will, could have made that be the case.
History.

There is not a valid reason for reparations to be paid today.

If you want to debate what should have been done in the past, you might as well spend your time pissing in the wind.

This thread was started to discuss Rangle's idea for the here and now.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:35 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
History.

There is not a valid reason for reparations to be paid today.

If you want to debate what should have been done in the past, you might as well spend your time pissing in the wind.

This thread was started to discuss Rangle's idea for the here and now.
Lol.....it's all pissing in the wind when you are essentially seeking equality in a nation inherently racist. Talking about reparations to me is akin to me making plans on what I am going to do when I win the powerball....lo. Not that I am equating reparations as a payment to individuals as in powerball.....but that the probability of reparations or any viable plan to promote socioeconomic racial equality in a racist nation is likely right up there with me winning the powerball.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,020,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Everyone says their ancestors never owned slaves..........until they find out that they did.
Mine did not own slaves. One side of the family did not arrive here until the late 1800's. The other side was here early. In fact, some were with the Sons of Liberty, and some fought the British. However, all of them lived in New England.

Rangel can go take a flying leap. He is a disgrace to the country.

Dave

Old 02-19-2015, 03:41 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,159,568 times
Quote:
The difference being that the rights that the new immigrants enjoy largely comes from the struggles and battles that blacks have fought for equality under the law. Black endured the pain so immigrants can and do enjoy the gains.

Yep...and they should have been paid After Jim Crow ended too.....so back to back injustices

Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check which has come back marked "insufficient funds
- MLK Jr

Not the stupidest or most hypocritical argument I ever heard.....but up there. You should, then, not be allowed to enjoy any freedom that you yourself nor your ancestors are responsible for creating in this nation.

Yawn!
Americans continue to endorse, exist in, and maintain a (supposedly) 'free' country.

Slavery was discontinued well before the vast majority of people's grandparents were even alive, and VERY few people (maybe a handful out of the 300M in the US) would allow for it to happen again.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
The percentage of Americans in the 1860's that owned slaves was 8% - 1860 Census Results

Therefore, the majority of white people whose ancestors were here at that time did not own slaves. Once you add in all the white people whose ancestors migrated here after slavery, it drops down further.

And let's not forget about black slave owners.

http://libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/l_s...erous_1990.pdf

Please refer to page 6, paragraph 2.

Quote:
And nobody is asking you to be accountable for what your ancestors did or did not do.
Actually, suggesting that reparations should be paid does exactly that.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:47 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Americans continue to endorse, exist in, and maintain a (supposedly) 'free' country.

Slavery was discontinued well before the vast majority of people's grandparents were even alive, and VERY few people (maybe a handful out of the 300M in the US) would allow for it to happen again.
Taxes are not levied based upon personal responsibility in creating the liability. Again, you should not be able to live in America or this country based upon your reasoning. The reason being is that when the Revolutionary was was fought to free this country from England....most of your ancestors were not here. Thus, you should not get to live in this nation because you have no personal responsibility, nor your ancestors, in creating it.

Need help packing.....just let me know.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Lol.....it's all pissing in the wind when you are essentially seeking equality in a nation inherently racist.
Here we go again.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Taxes are not levied based upon personal responsibility in creating the liability. Again, you should not be able to live in America or this country based upon your reasoning. The reason being is that when the Revolutionary was was fought to free this country from England....most of your ancestors were not here. Thus, you should not get to live in this nation because you have no personal responsibility, nor your ancestors, in creating it.

Need help packing.....just let me know.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,699,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Mine did not own slaves. One side of the family did not arrive here until the late 1800's. The other side was here early. In fact, some were with the Sons of Liberty, and some fought the British. However, all of them lived in New England.
Not that it matters, but you still don't know that. If you have Colonial American ancestors, chances are someone in your long lineage was a slaveowner (or a slave). It's simple mathematics.

Quote:
Rangel can go take a flying leap. He is a disgrace to the country.
Dave, I'd venture to guess a Korean War combat veteran and Congressman such as Charlie Rangel doesn't lose much sleep at night wondering if someone like you thinks he's a disgrace to this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.