Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:29 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4XuhUmkN0

Old 02-23-2015, 09:56 AM

240 posts, read 252,528 times
The Bill O'Reilly Show is merely for entertainment purposes. O'Reilly isn't a news reporter. He doesn't have to tell the truth. He only has to tell things as he sees them. He's a showman, an entertainer...like a monkey swinging on a high bar.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:10 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
So this event happened in 1982 and someone is contesting his version of events now? Why now? Is this because of what happened to Brian Williams? The events Brian Williams lied to were far more recent and the lie was proven with not only witnesses, but also historical evidence. I do believe it is possible that Bill's version of the events isn't completely true. But when your proof is the memories of those who were in the area in 1982, that isn't definitive evidence. You can have a group of people in the same area as a particular event and, unless they regularly watched video of the event through the years, they'll all remember the same event differently. For them to remember the same event closely, they'd all have to have been together all the time during the events. But 33 years in the past is a pretty far stretch to try to take down a lie with no video evidence and no documentation.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times
It's obvious those of you who are worked up over Bill O'Reilly's story were fans of Brian Williams. Does it offset the latter situation enough to count? Yawn...........

Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
To me this speaks just as suspect of CBS as it does O'Reilly. They are ultimately responsible for the journalistic integrity and what is released to the public. Seems CBS and NBC have trouble with the concept of integrity and truth is journalism. The fact that Al Sharpton has his own televised slot on MSNBC speaks volumes to this. Fortunately, no one watches MSNBC, at least no one with a three digit IQ.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Difference between Brian and Bill is Brian was a news anchor whose job was to report the news. Bill has an opinion based talk show that includes interviews. I don't watch the FOX News prime time shows since they aren't news shows. Most of the morning and afternoon FOX News programs are all news and interviews. I do watch the 5:30pm (central time) network news along with local news. I expect those reporting the news to tell the truth about the news.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 AM

520 posts, read 776,380 times
Bill O'Reilly is the first to acknowledge that he is a commentator, not an anchor. That alone makes this case very different.

Do any of O'Reilly's critics know what he is being accused of providing misleading information about? I seriously doubt it.

Here's a quick primer. Over the last 33 years, Bill O'Reilly made somewhat generic references on a couple occasions to being in a "war zone" during the Falkland Islands conflict. I don't think anyone disputes that he was on the ground during the riots in Buenos Aires that followed Argentina's surrender. The "big story" is whether being at the scene of the riots constitutes being in a war zone.

In other words, this is nothing but semantics. Unlike Brian Williams, he didn't make direct statements that proved to be false. The worst thing he could possibly be guilty of is vaguely playing up his credentials.

In addition to not knowing the story, I bet most of Bill O'Reilly's critics have never watched ten minutes of his show. My guess is that the people bashing him are just regurgitating Rachel Maddow's, Lawrence O'Donnell's, Chris Hayes' and other left wing zealots talking points. People on the far right often criticize O'Reilly because he actually does try to be fair and balanced and doesn't toe the party line of every issue.

As a commentator, Bill O'Reilly holds himself to much higher journalistic standards than any of the jokers on MSDNC and many of those in the mainstream media.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
HAHAHAHA HATERS.

Quote:
Mr. O’Reilly said that he had been clear that he covered violent protests in Argentina in the aftermath of the Falklands War. “I never said I was on the Falkland Islands as Corn purports,” he said. “I said I covered the Falklands war, which I did.”

“This is splitting hairs, trying anything they can to bring down me, because of the Brian Williams situation,” Mr. O’Reilly. “That is exactly what it is.”

Mr. O’Reilly said he would settle the dispute on his show, “The O’Reilly Factor,” on Monday. He also has invited former CBS News employees to appear on his show to discuss the controversy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/23/bu...ries.html?_r=0

Variety says O'Reilly played it right.

What Brian Williams Could Learn From Bill O’Reilly | Variety

MISFIRE: Mother Jones Trolls Bill O

Old 02-23-2015, 11:14 AM

240 posts, read 252,528 times
It's laughable that people take Bill O'Reilly seriously. It's scary that they put him on the same level as a news reporter. Do people not see the difference between an entertainer and a news anchorman? What the heck is wrong with people?!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, let's be honest - it's Bill O'Reilly.

I know, I know, there are some people who actually think he's a journalist, a source of information. He's not. He's a buffoonish rodeo clown. And as for factual accuracy, this is the same guy who can't even sexually harass a woman without confusing a cleansing sponge (loofah) with Middle Eastern cuisine (falafel):
http://gawker.com/5380802/happy-bill-oreilly-loofah-day

Finding out that O'Reilly is, in fact, merely a self-aggrandizing serial liar is roughly the equivalent of finding out that - no! say it isn't so! - Milli Vanilli weren't really musicians.

The difference between NBC and Fox is now on display for all to see. The career of Brian Williams is all but over. O'Reilly? He'll still keep pumping out vacuous ghost-written books that his fawning fanboys will shoot right to the top of bestseller lists, and he'll keep on doing his shtick and his obsequious leg-humpers will keep on being convinced that he's Walter Conkrite and Edward R. Murrow rolled into one.

Give the devil his due - the guy knows his pathetic audience.
Is that the best you can come up with?

Williams is a college dropout and OReilly has a Masters in Journalism from BU and a second Masters from Harvard in Public Administration.

You obviously have never watched the show.

He's been sticking up for Obama for YEARS until recently when he keeps asking people WTF is wrong with Obama and these weird choices he's making.

Ghost written books. WHAT ABOUT OBAMA? HAHAHAHAHA AND HIS COMPOSITE RACIST GIRLFRIEND. (NATURALLY)

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...er-122272.html

LOL if you ever watched the show and saw him talk History he can rattle off ALL THE FACTS and debate ANYONE on the content. Just because he has a co-author means nothing.

And I don't even like the guy. He's WAY too Liberal and BIG GOVERNMENT PROGRESSIVE and self serving for my tastes - pretending Obama was a "good guy" for about 6 years. Just so he could get access like the rest of the media progressive suck ups who are negligent in their CONSTITUTIONAL OBLIGATIONS.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-23-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies