Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:45 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
CBS staffers dispute Bill O'Reilly's 'war zone' story

CBS staffers refute Bill O'Reilly's 'war zone' story - Feb. 22, 2015

From the article:

Bill O'Reilly's account of a 1982 riot in Argentina is being sharply contradicted by seven other journalists who were his colleagues and were also there at the time.

The people all challenge O'Reilly's depiction of Buenos Aires as a "war zone" and a "combat situation." They also doubt his description of a CBS cameraman being injured in the chaos.

"Nobody remembers this happening," said Manny Alvarez, who was a cameraman for CBS News in Buenos Aires.

Are war stories similar to fish stories? They stretch the truth ?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
I'm not a big fan of O'Reilly but in this case I don't see any truth to the allegations. Not even clear if this is politically motivated. He's an arrogant guy with a bad temper who has rubbed a lot of former co workers the wrong way. Now it's payback time.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, let's be honest - it's Bill O'Reilly.

I know, I know, there are some people who actually think he's a journalist, a source of information. He's not. He's a buffoonish rodeo clown..... .
I'll take that 'buffoonish rodeo clown" over any other networks 'reporter' any day.
I like Bill, and I respect his approach and his attitude.... for the record.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I'm not a big fan of O'Reilly but in this case I don't see any truth to the allegations. Not even clear if this is politically motivated. He's an arrogant guy with a bad temper who has rubbed a lot of former co workers the wrong way. Now it's payback time.
That very well could be it...but I bet there is some level of political fight to this.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

What part isn't clear? The part about the tiny left-wing magazine making up a story in an effort to take down Fox News's biggest star?

Sorry, disgruntled ex-employees and left-wingers. Payback has been put on hold. Again.

P.S. Anyone catch that loony lefty Keith Olbermann has been suspended again?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:28 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
The thing about Bill O'Reilly, he is so arrogant, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, self-serving, over bearing, loud mouthed, boastful and a braggart, conceited, with those type qualities, he sets his self up as a target to brought down. I have heard hin talk of his time as a reporter or journalist in Argentina when he claimed it to be a war zone and he was basically on the front line. I never really totally bought it.

When I would hear him talk of his experience in Argentina, it always sounded to me like he was equating that with military service, which he never served in any branch of the military even though when he became of age, America was in the midst of the Vietnam War and the military draft was in full force.

I remember when he interviewed Obama a couple of years ago and O'Reilly was on the edge of his chair and in an agressive manner, he would lean into Obama's direction when he would as a question. From my perspective, O'Reilly came across as being rude and disrespectful to President Obama, in a way that was not a whole lot different than AZ Gov Jan Brewer wagging her finger in Obama's face at the Phoenix Airport,right outside the Air Force One Airplane he flew in onn.

He's always talking about how he's so humble. Ha! Whether or not he exaggerated his drama in Argentina, I find it hard to have any sympathy for him and wouldn't mind seeing him knocked of his pedestal and truly humbled to his core.

Maybe a little old fashion karma coming down.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 02-24-2015 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 04:00 PM

671 posts, read 890,789 times
Face it O'Reilly is bigger than ever and Corn's BS just added to O'Reilly's fame and credibility......
Talk about your backfires.......
As for Mother Jones,,,it is more irrelevant than ever....and Corn just knocked Bozo the clown off the top of the list as the worlds most famous clown......
So tell me,,,,,whats not to love?

Old 02-24-2015, 05:06 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, let's be honest - it's Bill O'Reilly.

I know, I know, there are some people who actually think he's a journalist, a source of information. He's not. He's a buffoonish rodeo clown. And as for factual accuracy, this is the same guy who can't even sexually harass a woman without confusing a cleansing sponge (loofah) with Middle Eastern cuisine (falafel):
http://gawker.com/5380802/happy-bill-oreilly-loofah-day

Finding out that O'Reilly is, in fact, merely a self-aggrandizing serial liar is roughly the equivalent of finding out that - no! say it isn't so! - Milli Vanilli weren't really musicians.

The difference between NBC and Fox is now on display for all to see. The career of Brian Williams is all but over. O'Reilly? He'll still keep pumping out vacuous ghost-written books that his fawning fanboys will shoot right to the top of bestseller lists, and he'll keep on doing his shtick and his obsequious leg-humpers will keep on being convinced that he's Walter Conkrite and Edward R. Murrow rolled into one.

Give the devil his due - the guy knows his pathetic audience.

Ex-NBC Bureau Chief Backs Up O’Reilly’s Account of Falklands War Riot | Mediaite

LOL, You all remind me so much of a bunch of middle school pre-adolescents trying to out-do each other in the name-calling department.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
CBS staffers dispute Bill O'Reilly's 'war zone' story

CBS staffers refute Bill O'Reilly's 'war zone' story - Feb. 22, 2015

From the article:

Bill O'Reilly's account of a 1982 riot in Argentina is being sharply contradicted by seven other journalists who were his colleagues and were also there at the time.

The people all challenge O'Reilly's depiction of Buenos Aires as a "war zone" and a "combat situation." They also doubt his description of a CBS cameraman being injured in the chaos.

"Nobody remembers this happening," said Manny Alvarez, who was a cameraman for CBS News in Buenos Aires.

So this clown, Alvarez, decides to come forward 33 years later. Gee, someone looking for his 15 minutes?

Nothing will happen. It is completely irrelevant. Nobody cares.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:48 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'll take that 'buffoonish rodeo clown" over any other networks 'reporter' any day.
I like Bill, and I respect his approach and his attitude.... for the record.
Of course you do. You're one of Bill's fluffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Ex-NBC Bureau Chief Backs Up O’Reilly’s Account of Falklands War Riot | Mediaite

LOL, You all remind me so much of a bunch of middle school pre-adolescents trying to out-do each other in the name-calling department.
Are you talking about posters here, or O'Reilly himself? (as you run interference for O'Reilly, whose shtick includes name-calling - I guess you forgot about that with your ad hominem attacks, huh?) I suppose your own unintended irony is completely lost on you.

And as for your link, BS.

Here's one of O'Reilly's claims:
“I’ve reported on the ground in active war zones from El Salvador to the Falklands”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/02/24/the-bill-oreilly-scandal-made-simple/

And it's a flat-out lie. No western reporter reported from the Falklands during the war. Not a single one. O'Reilly was in Buenos Aires, 1000 miles north of the Falklands Islands and hundreds of miles from the nearest combat, after the Argentine surrender.

No one has backed up O'Reilly's assertion that many (or even one person) were killed in the riot. No one has backed up O'Reilly's assertion that he was under fire.

No one.

You're making excuses for a liar. Why? Because you agree with him politically, and for some pathetic reason this compels you to cover for him.

Did you see that Keith Olbermann was suspended today? Guess what - I tend to agree with Olbermann politically. But I also think he, like O'Reilly, is a self-aggrandizing jerk. And I would never make excuses for him. Suspended? Good. If he got canned it would be fine with me.

And that's the difference between you and I. I'm not some slavish fan-boy cravenly making excuses for a clown. You are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies