Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And here we go with the less harmful justification again. Abuse is abuse.

And I am well within the topic. Others wish to deflect about alcohol. I tried to avoid that but I did get sucked in once. No more.
Do you know what substance abuse is? You keep using the word abuse, I don't think you know what it means.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Good lord....

The only reason marijuana is still illegal today is because it was illegal in the past. America is the most close minded nation on Earth; if it's been this way for a while, it has to stay.

Marijuana being illegal has nothing to do with safety. Anyone who tries to say otherwise is BSing themselves, and they know it. There are perfectly legal painkillers that are more addictive than marijuana (and cocaine), but because Mexicans were never smuggling in pain killers, it hasn't been stigmatized.

The conservatives fighting marijuana legalization are blatantly contradicting their views on small government (which they do a lot, actually).

Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
And here is more justification to abuse a substance.

That's all that's going on here.
Consuming a substance = abusing a substance

After all that I typed you come and respond to my post (which you didn't even read) with two sentences. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with someone who contributes nothing to this thread but here I go.

I'm curious. How does one abuse a substance in this case? If someone smokes a cigarette are they abusing a substance? If someone has a couple drinks every so often and gets a little tipsy are they abusing a substance? Is it only abuse in your mind if it has the label "Illegal" attached to it? When alcohol was illegal in the united states were people abusing a substance when they went to speakeasies to drink? Oxford dictionary defines abuse as "Use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse". When someone smokes marijuana they generally do so to relax, same reason people drink every so often. Is using (abusing) a substance in order to relax a little a bad effect or purpose?

If you actually made it this far in reading my post, color me impressed. As you might have recognized there were some question marks in my post so if you are going to respond to me it would be nice if you could respond to those questions. If you are planning on responding with a recycled version of the post of yours that I am responding to don't waste your time or the time of those who may have the misfortune of reading another useless post by you again.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:15 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Consuming a substance = abusing a substance

After all that I typed you come and respond to my post (which you didn't even read) with two sentences. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with someone who contributes nothing to this thread but here I go.

I'm curious. How does one abuse a substance in this case? If someone smokes a cigarette are they abusing a substance? If someone has a couple drinks every so often and gets a little tipsy are they abusing a substance? Is it only abuse in your mind if it has the label "Illegal" attached to it? When alcohol was illegal in the united states were people abusing a substance when they went to speakeasies to drink? Oxford dictionary defines abuse as "Use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse". When someone smokes marijuana they generally do so to relax, same reason people drink every so often. Is using (abusing) a substance in order to relax a little a bad effect or purpose?

If you actually made it this far in reading my post, color me impressed. As you might have recognized there were some question marks in my post so if you are going to respond to me it would be nice if you could respond to those questions. If you are planning on responding with a recycled version of the post of yours that I am responding to don't waste your time or the time of those who may have the misfortune of reading another useless post by you again.
Yes to all of the above.

I don't go around saying cyanide will kill you but a little is ok.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Yes to all of the above.

You were complaining about comparing pot to alcohol a few posts back, and you actually think it's reasonable to compare pot to cyanide?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
You were complaining about comparing pot to alcohol a few posts back, and you actually think it's reasonable to compare pot to cyanide?
Use is abuse.

Play with fire, you will get burned.

That's my stance and sticking to it.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Yes to all of the above.

It's hard to take this comment seriously when you're comparing cyanide to weed and alcohol. Furthermore, moderate use is NOT abuse! Millions of people in this country have tried or smoke weed, and millions more drink alcohol with no long term issues. Are there those who overdo it? Absolutely? But why should something be banned because of a small percentage of people getting addicted?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Use is abuse.

Play with fire, you will get burned.

That's my stance and sticking to it.
Non-use is "abuse" for treating quite a few diseases.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It's hard to take this comment seriously when you're comparing cyanide to weed and alcohol. Furthermore, moderate use is NOT abuse! Millions of people in this country have tried or smoke weed, and millions more drink alcohol with no long term issues. Are there those who overdo it? Absolutely? But why should something be banned because of a small percentage of people getting addicted?
See post 66.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:39 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Yes to all of the above.

Are you seriously insane? You are comparing cyanide and pot. Just when I thought I've seen it all. This actually made me laugh out loud. BRAVO!

Lets look at why your comparison is beyond absurd (because you can't seem to figure it out).

1.) A normal sized dose of Beer/wine/spirits will relax you.

2.) A normal sized dose of Marijuana will relax you.

3.) A normal sized dose of cyanide will kill you.

Now, most 2nd graders will be able to answer this question correctly. If you were going to pick two of these three options listed above to compare with each other based on what is typed out, which two seem most comparable? (I'm really hoping you pick 2 and 3 again, I could use another hearty laugh )

Also you answered yes to all of the above. Lets look at what you answered yes to.

Quote:
How does one abuse a substance in this case?
Answering yes to this question makes no sense. Try again.

Quote:
If someone smokes a cigarette are they abusing a substance?
But you are okay with people smoking cigarettes right? You are okay with people abusing substances as long as they are legal right? So you are okay with people who choose to "abuse" marijuana in Colorado correct?

Quote:
If someone has a couple drinks every so often and gets a little tipsy are they abusing a substance?
Once again you have no issue with someone abusing something just as long as it is legal. It used to be legal to own slaves. Were you okay with that also solely because it was legal (I know your not going to answer this question, or at least be consistent with your answer)?

Quote:
Is it only abuse in your mind if it has the label "Illegal" attached to it?
I find it interesting that you say when alcohol was illegal people who drank abused it but now that it isn't illegal people who drink from time to time aren't abusing it. Your logic (or lack thereof) really causes me to be dumbfounded.

Quote:
When alcohol was illegal in the united states were people abusing a substance when they went to speakeasies to drink?
You say yes. Fascinating.

Quote:
Is using (abusing) a substance in order to relax a little a bad effect or purpose
You say yes. I'm sure your guilty of abusing substances then if you have ever taken a sleeping pill (or supplement like night quil) or if you have ever enjoyed a couple beers or drinks in the past. Are you a hypocrite? (the answer to that question for you should also be 'yes')

Let us see if you can respond to my post with substance or if you are going to revert back to your two sentence posts. I'm not a betting man but I have a feeling I would win a lot of money betting in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies