Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

Why don't the Canadians suck it up and build the damn pipeline across their own country?

It's just a measure to get their oil to international markets. The USA really gets nothing out of the deal except we lose that glut of oil coming into the middle of the country. That glut that's actually decreasing gas prices here because we have a lot of Canadian oil that they end up selling to us at a discount since they have no way of getting it all overseas.

I could care less if they build it our not honestly, but at least stop with these silly claims that the evil government is blocking it and it's somehow going to be this amazingly popular thing to the US people.

It's going to do nothing for the USA. The only material difference is that gas prices in the Midwest would go up by around 15 cents without that surplus of Canadian oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Says the person driving a vehicle, heating their home with gas/oil/coal and using scores of petroleum based products every day.
Maybe he rides a bike, has a wood stove, and only uses glass products .

Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Yay for my team and Warren Buffet. I am already looking to replace my Piper Cheyenne with a Cessna Citation.

NAFTA will ensure my huge pay checks and Brookshire Hathaway with lots of money.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:13 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'm sure this will continue to enrich George Soros and Warren Buffet thanks to railroad investments. Approving the pipeline would cut railroad transportation profits from moving oil by train.

George Soros and Warren Buffet benefited from Obama Keystone Pipeline Veto | Political Arena
Did you think no one would get rich somehow off this? Get real. This was nothing but a fight between one bunch of billionaires up north and another bunch down here from the start. There was never much in it for the common guy on the street either way.

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
My biggest issue with the pipeline is the fact that a Canadian company can initiate eminent domain proceedings. Something about that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Blocking anything the petroleum industry want to do is probably a good idea anyway. Let Canada refine their own crude and ship the products where ever they want. Even here if the price is right.
You have no option nor does the job killing idiot in the WH.

NAFTA will keep the oil flowing south.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Get the bill in front of the president and make him veto it. Then he has to further stand on a record of halting economic development and jobs. In addition, he will be squarely responsible for assisting in our dependence on Middle Eastern oil. Not to mention the damage to the US environment associated with ensuring that what oil does go through the US from Canada goes through on dangerous, polluting rail, rather than safer, clean pipelines. Working people, who's chance at a better job were destroyed by Obama's whim, actually may remember this in '16. Obama will actually have to put his name on something-he no longer has Reid to obstruct as his poop boy any more.
oh my gooooood....people.

It's not creating any jobs or economic development. It's actually reducing our gas prices by not having it.

Creating the pipeline would actually add to dependence on foriegn oil as right now the USA sees a surplus of discount oil sent from canada on the limited pipelines that exist at the moment for production here. The Midwest sees gas prices 15 cents lower than they would with Keystone.

It's not going through the USA on rail crashing everywhere. A large portion of it is coming into the Midwestern USA where the pipelines stop, and the rest is traveling by rail across Canada to ports on the Atlantic and Pacific.

The reason for the pipeline is simply to get it through the USA and processed out to the rest of the world because Canada's government and environmental agency won't allow it to be built in Canada. We're just doing their dirty work that they refuse to do.

WHERE DO PEOPLE KEEP COMING UP WITH THESE STATEMENTS?

My boyfriend works at an oil refinery for BP and he just laughs out loud at how crazy this has all gotten. The economics of the Keystone Pipeline are very simple, I don't know how people turned it into this crazy job producing economic boon for the country that it is absolutely not. No one should be excited about it, Republicans or Democrats. There's literally nothing enticing about it for the USA.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Maybe he rides a bike, has a wood stove, and only uses glass products .
How was the bike made? The stove made? And the glass made?

All used oil/coal/gas in the manufacturing and delivery process.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
oh my gooooood....people.

It's not creating any jobs or economic development. It's actually reducing our gas prices by not having it.

Creating the pipeline would actually add to dependence on foriegn oil as right now the USA sees a surplus of discount oil sent from canada on the limited pipelines that exist at the moment for production here. The Midwest sees gas prices 15 cents lower than they would with Keystone.

It's not going through the USA on rail crashing everywhere. A large portion of it is coming into the Midwestern USA where the pipelines stop, and the rest is traveling by rail across Canada to ports on the Atlantic and Pacific.

The reason for the pipeline is simply to get it through the USA and processed out to the rest of the world because Canada's government and environmental agency won't allow it to be built in Canada. We're just doing their dirty work that they refuse to do.

WHERE DO PEOPLE KEEP COMING UP WITH THESE STATEMENTS?
So what am I, an engineer for BNSF hauling on my mile train of tanker cars? I have seen the manifests. Some of it is Bakken crude, the rest Canadian oil.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So what am I, an engineer for BNSF hauling on my mile train of tanker cars? I have seen the manifests. Some of it is Bakken crude, the rest Canadian oil.
My main point is the pipeline isn't going to create any big boon for the USA on any fronts. There's no real reason the democrats or the republicans should be a fan. There's no strong upside economically.

There is oil shipped, and it's increasing greatly, but for instance there's still over 6 times as much coal shipped as oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies